Yet another "which pickup" thread! (Martin D-18 content)

Started by Tycho, January 21, 2008, 01:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I want to put a pickup in my sunburst Martin D-18V.  I've read all the pickup threads over the years, and basically they've just left me confused.  So I figure I'll let the board decide.  I'll go with the consensus, assuming we can achieve one.  I just have two criteria:

1) I'm not going to go with a soundhole pickup like the Baggs M1, because this guitar just looks too good on its own;

2) I'm not really into the idea of a dual-source pickup, because I think they'll be too fiddly for me. 

I just want something that will sound pretty good.  I'm prepared to spend a bit of coin if necessary.

Have at it!! 
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Trance Audio Amulet System (with two Acoustic Lenses).  Add a nice functional eq to the signal chain.

Old School or is that Olds Kool..................how about a De Armond
" It's all about the Journey "

Proud Member:
"I Ain't Go'n Down That Road Feelin Bad No More" Society

I assume you are not opposed to getting great sound without spending lots of money...

K&K Pure Western Mini.  Simple. Passive. Natural.

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

I am definitely leaning to the K&K.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

I have a K&K Pure Western mini on my Collings D1A, which is also a Hog/Spruce dread.  It is absolutely wonderful. 

Three years ago I had the K&K minis installed with tape.  Loved it. As an experiment, I had them removed and put in a D-Tar Wavelength.  It was good for a UST, but not so good for sonic representation of my Collings. And it did nothing to cure the rare feedback I was getting with the minis.  So I took it out after 6 months or so, and installed Minis again, only this time they were glued in. Holy Crap!  What a difference! My Collings is Back and everyone can hear it!

K&K all the Way  :thumb

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

K&K Minis in both my Huss & Dalton and my SCGC OM/PW.  They even have a gold end pin jack now to match gold hardware.  I also have an M1 passive.  That is one awesome pick up.  I too was worried about an eye sore, but I don't now.  These are my choices with awesome tone!  You also have to buy an LR Baggs DI box.  Worth every penny....
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

I haven't heard anything but good about the K&K mini used in Larrivees. However, don't discount the dual source pick ups completely just yet. The LR Baggs iMix is almost fiddle proof. You have a volume knob, easy to use and self explanatory, and a mix knob. You turn the mix as far as you can to the under bridge without feedback. Taylor it back to the under saddle transducer to limit your feedback. It would take all of a couple seconds to set and you would get the most natural sound possible. Once it is set, forget it.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Quote from: dberch on January 21, 2008, 09:16:53 PM
I assume you are not opposed to getting great sound without spending lots of money...

K&K Pure Western Mini.  Simple. Passive. Natural.

David
another vote for K&K.
I have one in my baritone, another in OM-50tsb and just ordered a 3rd one for L-05MT.
I've been ordering these from k&ksound-seconds on eBay for ~$55.
True, they are seconds (or blems) but it is simply cosmetic and since they are invisible and I'm buying right from the fine folks who make them, I've been very happy with them.

I have tried just about every pickup, and combination (up to three at a time), available on the market. For ease of installation and almost always good sound I can easily recommend the K&K PWM. If you are willing to spend a lot more money, have the ability to tweak a dual or triple pickup system (with all of its associated outboard gear), you can get better sound. You have to ask yourself if you are that person.  :arrow

A lot of flatpickers will recommend the McIntyre Feather. It sounds good, but you definitely need a preamp due to its low output and high impedance.

Ron