Zoom H2 or H4 ?

Started by snkysnake, March 24, 2008, 06:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been wanting a pocket recorder for that "one off" on the fly kinda recording. Like when you hear a great  song and ya want to go home and work on it. I think price wise I've narrowed it down to the Zoom products, most of the others (like Ederol) are out of reach.  Any experience out there with these two. I know someone with the H2, and they love it. They think the H4 sounds too complicated. Any imput would be appreciated.
Martin 000-28 H Ambertone Custom
Larrivee 00-09 Wildwood Custom
Ovation Classical
Ovation Celbrity
Fender Nylon

Larrivee OMV-03R   SOLD
71 GIbson ES-355   Long gone
68 Gibson  J-45 Gone in the 70's
Fender Starcaster..sold in the seventies
72 Fender Tele Deluxe gone ,

As far as I know, both units use the same internal mic capsules, offer
the same recording quality, and can be used as USB audio interfaces to a
computer -- so what features do you want/need?

The H4 offers XLR inputs with phantom power for external mics, some
effects, mic modelling, and the ability to do stand-alone multi-track
recording (two tracks at a time).

The H2 is smaller, simpler, and cheaper -- but no multi-track or effects.
It does have 2 pair of internal mics (front 90°, rear 120°) to choose from,
or you can capture room ambience or multiple players around the coffee
table with both pair.

I'd say, if you are looking to capture "live" performances of yourself
and/or friends, the H2 is more versatile. If you think you want stand-alone
multitracking or the ability to plug in better quality condensor mics, then
the H4 is probably to route to go.

I picked up the H2 about three months ago and am still happy with that
decision.

cheers,
andrew
Andrew J.
Larrivee L-07 / DR sunbeams 13s

Thanks Andrew..that's kinda the way I was leaning. Plus the difference will leave me some "string" money.
Ovation Classical
Ovation Celbrity
Fender Nylon

Larrivee OMV-03R   SOLD

I've had the H2 for a few months now.  The mics are very nice for such a small unit.  I record practice sessions of the local hammer dulcimer player and myself.  The stereo image is quite good.  You can tell where the instruments were within the room.  I find positioning the unit when recording my own guitar playing in very critical.  I made the mistake early on of placing it too close and getting way too much bass response.  I really need a mike stand with a boom to put it where it sounds best.  For now I use a small table roughly the same height of the sound hole.
In one recording, I didn't realize my wife had the washing machine running until I played it back and heard the chug a chug a chug of the wash cycle way in the background.
Get an H2, you'll like it!!

Thanks Larrivee4me , I think I'm sold on the H2 , now I just gotta sell a mando or a guitar  so this doesn't bang the budget !
Ovation Classical
Ovation Celbrity
Fender Nylon

Larrivee OMV-03R   SOLD

Quote from: jandrew on March 24, 2008, 04:03:54 PM
The H4 offers XLR inputs with phantom power for external mics, some
effects, mic modelling, and the ability to do stand-alone multi-track
recording (two tracks at a time).

If your using the internal mic's you can record one track at a time, unless I misunderstood your statement to mean up to two tracks at a time.

I just purchased an H4 last week, still trying to get the best results out of it with the skills I have available (questionable). I like the mic modeling in the stereo mode and the endless available effects in four track mode. I also like the fact that if you just want to record your guitar you can plug it right in and not worry about a mic picking up outside noises. I watched eBay for months until I was able to get one for less than the price of the H2. I updated the firmware to the newest version (2.10) and couldn't be happier with the ease of operation. I've heard people complain about the hard to read screen but one of the firmware updates made it easier to read and once you familiarize yourself with the menus it's very easy to operate. I really needed something to record myself to realize that some of the songs I was doing were dragging and needed to be sped up to sound better, I would have never known without recording and listening back.
Here is a link to a Zoom forum with a wealth of info.
http://www.2090.org/zoom/bbs/

And here is a list of the effects included with the H4, you might have to zoom in to read it. Pun intended.

:cheers
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Wow Roger ! Now that's a comprehensive reply.. This info gives me a lot of insite, and some answers to common complaints about the H4 that I have heard. I'll visit the link and do some more reading.  I too have seen the H4 at a really reasonable price, so it's within my budget too !  Thanks for the imput.
Ovation Classical
Ovation Celbrity
Fender Nylon

Larrivee OMV-03R   SOLD

I recently got the H2 and am very happy with it.  I was afraid that the H4 would be too complex and then I just wouldn't get around to using it much.  I am really pleased with the sound quality.  I also bought one of those flexible Targus tripods from Radio Shack and have it bent around my music stand. 

I've heard good things about both the H2 and H4, and after reading these posts, I still can't decide which to get.    :blush:

Time to do some more research!
2008 Larrivee LV-10E "Faith"
1997 Yamaha FGX-412C
1980 Epi A-12

Yesterday i bought the H4n and i´m very happy with it! But yes, it´s really complex and he can much more than i can!  :roll :guitar

Greg

I've been using an H2 for some weeks now. I don't need an H4 as I have a digital 8-track Roland recorder for multi-tracking, etc. The H2 is great for doing a recording "on the fly" (no pun intended) - and, yes, experiment with mic placement to get the best results. The pack I purchased from Amazon came with a screw-in handle which fits into a mic stand holder and allows accurate placement of the mic when playing. I've also plugged it straight into my Mac laptop and used it as a mic to drive Audacity - very effective for voice-overs, multitracking vocals quickly, etc. At a session, I can stand it on a table in "surround" mode and capture the overall sound. Last week I stood it next to one of the output speakers from our band's PA and got a rough and ready recording.

Here's the band's closing number - Polkas

Here's a recording of a small guitar with the H2

Just to give an idea of what it can do - and I haven't explored all the functions yet!

I'm also considering on getting either the H2 or H4 and actually got to play with a friend's H4. While I don't need to use the multitrack capability I do like the ability to plug in external mics (which IIRC the H2 can't do) for some dedicated recording sessions. So far though, the built in mics seem to provide better quality than my single large condenser microphone. I think I may just need to learn how to use/position that mic better though.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

I have had a H4 for a few years now, and find it simple to use... i mainly record the end of pratice sessions to learn from my mistakes, by listening back the next day.

i keep it out, on a small camera tripod beside my guitar, you can see it beside the music stand... everything is easy to get to

d.

Either 1 is excellent.  I have the H2.  There's a new version of the H4 and I hear it's outstanding.  There's upgraded mics and the interface is improved.  Personally, I find that the H2 and H4 easy to use but that's a relative term.  The interface has menus that should be more simple to navigate through.  The H2 doesn't have multitrack recording but I find its simple that the 4 channel mode makes it simple to change the volume levels after a recording so you can balance out the instruments. 
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

The H2 is totally adequate for my needs.    Really good quality recordings with simple settings.   True, it does not have the versatility of the H4 but for me the more affordable H2 has everything I need without a lot of extra goodies which tend to make things more complicated.   I've had mine for several months and haven't second-guessed my decision yet.  I prefer to spend my time playing rather than messing with a piece of recording equipment so the ease-of-operation factor is important to me.

But i have problems to convert the .wav files that the including version of Cubase 4.0 LE or the full version of Cubase 4.0 generate. So i don´t can use the finished files in itunes, ipod, iphone etc.

How can i generate .mp3 files (without buying another expensive program?

Thanks, Greg

Quote from: gregor on September 14, 2009, 01:45:14 PM
But i have problems to convert the .wav files that the including version of Cubase 4.0 LE or the full version of Cubase 4.0 generate. So i don´t can use the finished files in itunes, ipod, iphone etc.

How can i generate .mp3 files (without buying another expensive program?

Thanks, Greg

I'm not sure if I fully understand where your problem is, but there is a menu option right on the recorder to convert to mp3, I've done it before.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

Sorry bluesman67, but there isn´t a button for converting into .mp3 ...  :crying:

check p. 55 of your owner's manual, it gives you step-by-step instructions for converting the .wav to mp3.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE