Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 12 string advice  (Read 795 times)
John R

Ignore
« on: March 19, 2008, 10:42:40 PM »

Hi folks. We recently bought Thistles OM 03 12 string for use in church. Its an awesome guitar. I know nothing about 12 strings but this is lovely. However one of the other players has problems on their 12 string with the high G string, so much so that they dont fit it. Being such a novice I dont feel confident to advise them. I have fitted Elixir 10s to the OM. The G string is 9 thou and there is consequently more 'give' in that string. Personally I think this is normal and I am not going to remove any strings. Is this an issue with all brands of strings. I would value your input on this. By the way the guitar is tuned correctly!

God is Good
Larrivee L09, L05, L05 MT, P 09, OM 03 MT 12 string
Hofner Committe Thin 1962
Musicman Albert Lee (blue)
ditto in red but hard tail
Silhouette Special
Johnny M
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 10:48:12 PM »

Nice score!   nice guitar

I also have an OM-03-12 that I absolutely love and played it out last weekend at our open mic.  I've had Elixers, D'Addario and now Newtones on it and haven't had any issues with the G strings or any other for that matter.  Your friend might find that a slight adjustment to the nut might help matters.  Any experienced luthier or repair person could address the issue.

Good luck and enjoy that beauty of yours.

John

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/
John R

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 11:08:22 PM »

Thanks for that John. I will pass on your message. These guitars are lovely. It adds a further dimension to the music. What do you play music wise?

God is Good
Larrivee L09, L05, L05 MT, P 09, OM 03 MT 12 string
Hofner Committe Thin 1962
Musicman Albert Lee (blue)
ditto in red but hard tail
Silhouette Special
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 02:31:23 AM »

Welcome to the O3 12 string Larrivee club. You shouldn't have any trouble being heard over the choir.

I opted for an LO-3V w/ Mahogany Top and tore a page out of Leo Kottke and Pete Seeger's book by tuning it down. I only go down one step but you can capo up to get back to standard pitch. Even with light gauge D'addario strings, it still sounds nice. I have had no trouble with the G strings but every once and I while I break a string if I grab the wrong tuning gear and I am not paying attention.

P.S. Try a tune called "Gospel Changes" that was recorded by John Denver back in the early 70's (Poems, Prayers and Promises) and "In the Bleak Midwinter" at Christmas (in dropped D). Dan Fogelberg, James Taylor and Shawn Colvin have all done nice covers of this tune. Both sound great on a 12 string.

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
PortHueneme

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 03:30:46 PM »

The high "G" is an .09, it breaks easiliy. I have on occaision used a .10 I had laying around the house. I always carry an extra full set and a few high "G's" in the case.
I have a D-09 12, stays in tunes and plays like a dream. I use Elixr or D'adds Exp lights at full pitch. The guitar is several years old, the neck is perfect very low action.

With the .09 string it sometimes binds at the nut, but a little lube and the problem is solved.

SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 11:48:05 AM »

If I'm not mistaken, with treated string sets, the non-wound strings are always the first to go; my experience seems to confirm this.  The nut might need to be replaced, or applying graphite to the nut slots when installing new strings might be his first attempt to remedy the problem before bringing it to a luthier.  By the way, the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum has a fantastic section devoted exclusively to 12 string guitars, and I don't even own a Martin.

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 02:54:04 AM »

You may want to try some Newtone's. They have an optional wound g string that would probably last longer if you tend to break them. For the high string, take it in and have it proffessionally set up. You would be amazed at what a good luthier can do. It can really make a guitar feel totally different. Same thing for a bad set up, so go with a well known and recommended guy.

I am very fortunate to have found an older 80's C (florentine cut away) series 12 string for a steal of a price. It adds a different dimension, especially when playing with other acoustics. I only wish I got to play it more...

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: