Good Fingerstyle Song For Beginning Fingerstylist

Started by Dan, July 11, 2004, 09:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Im just starting to try to learn fingerstyle....i never really thought of myself as a picker but i really want to broaden my horizons and my musical ability....waht are some good songs to start with?....thanks ahead of time

Dan
Dan

Dan,

I am largely in the same situation as you but probably further back. I have been largely away from it for more years than many here have been playing (or perhaps, for some, alive)

I am finding that the Mark Hanson books are extremely helpful. They are logically laid out and come with a CD to play the songs in sections, slow and at tempo.

The ones "Beyond Basics, Fingerstyle Guitar" and "The Art of Solo Fingerpicking" are especially good.  
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

100% agree with Don. I started my fingerstyle journey with Mark's videos.

You might try Fingerstyle Guitar from Scratch by Bruce Emery.www.skepticalguitarist.com
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Alternating thumb bass: Freight Train (can find arrangement on internet) or Jesse James....(Ron Perlman arrangement was published with a finger pickin' lesson in an A G issue.....don't remember which one, but I have it, and could fax it to you if you want). Both are in standard tuning, in C.

Oh....and Wildwood Flower....in C.
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

If its any help when I got into finger pickin I just started playin what I already knew but finger picked it.Then I move on to pinch style now I only play with my finger's and sometime's when playing lead I'll use a pick.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Freight Train is a good one to start with.  I'd also suggest "I'll Fly Away" as a good starter song.

Cheers
Dan
Larrivee LS-10 (sold)
Larrivee parlors - satin mahog. / FQMS Special Koa / FQMS Special Braz.
Everett Laurel Dread
Martin 000-28ECB (sold)
Kopp  419 cutaway
Kopp Betty Swing #1  (sold)
Kopp 000-18 style

QuoteYou might try Fingerstyle Guitar from Scratch by Bruce Emery.www.skepticalguitarist.com

Rob,
I see that Andy's is listed as a place where this book is sold. Can you sell me a copy?

Steve
Larrivee D-03 (1997 model)
Larrivee LS-05
Larrivee 00-05

Steve send me your address.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

QuoteI am finding that the Mark Hanson books are extremely helpful. They are logically laid out and come with a CD to play the songs in sections, slow and at tempo.

The ones "Beyond Basics, Fingerstyle Guitar" and "The Art of Solo Fingerpicking" are especially good.
These are the ones I started with, too. Good stuff, and the melodies he uses to teach are pleasing (not the ones you usually find in beginning guitar books). They're well worth the price of admission!

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

John Standefer's resources are a great place to start.  John's a Larrivee player/endorser, won the 2002 National Fingerstyle competition, and he teaches 2 day workshops on guitar playing in general and beginner's fingerstyle in particular.

Most of his stuff is from a Christian perspective, so if that bugs you, don't bother checking out his materials.

He does have some material published by Mel Bay, but I highly, highly recommend his 2 day workshop on Praise Guitar (it's very good for general left hand as well as right hand technique and you get to hear him play for several hours - very cool.  His method changed my outlook on how to play immensely.  I'm still absorbing just how wrong I learned taught myself to play and think about playing guitar a year after attending his workshop.

John's website is here:

www.praiseguitar.com

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster