Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking pickup recommendations for my new OM-12 string  (Read 632 times)
whiskeyjack

Ignore
« on: March 15, 2008, 04:23:24 AM »

(duplicate post over at UMGF - ignore this if you've already read that one)

I have two guitars with LR Baggs IMix's installed: a 000-15S (inboard) and a Larrivee OM-03R twelve string (outboard). I really like the LRBaggs IMix inboard unit for the following reasons:
1) it allows a blend of IBeam and UST to get the max acoustic sound;
2) these pickups have volume/blend/pre-amp adjustments within reach: the 000-15S at the sound hole (& inside the guitar) and the Larrivee on the upper side of the lower bout;
3) LR Baggs units give the player the option of where and how to mount the pickup;
4) battery life is extensive.

The only things I don't like about them are the price and the hassle of changing the battery on the inboard unit.

Recently, I purchased a Timberline OM cutaway twelve string: Engelman spruce over EIR with what looks like a slim mahogany center back wedge. I'd been planning on building one of these in my retirement years. . . .and may still yet. But this one showed up at what I thought was a reasonable price. I'm told that this guitar was showcased at NAMM in 2006 and they no longer make a twelve string due to poor sales. Timberline isn't very well known but I've gotten good reports from several California dealers: their reputation for build quality and tone is very good among those who have played and owned them. We'll see.

I know that very few of us have OM twelves but I'm just curious as to which pickups with sound hole controls are being used on twelve strings in general.

If you bought a new twelve, which pickup would you install and for what reasons? (The Dean Markley West Coast series looks interesting but expensive).

Thanks.

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 01:33:32 AM »

I put a K&K pure western mini in my LV-03-12 and am very pleased with it. I use it with the XLR preamp from K&K as well. I have only had the preamp a short period of time but it really seems to have sweetened the sound of the pickup and made it sound more like the unamplified guitar. That's what I would recommend but its hard to go wrong with the Baggs either. Stay away from internal batteries for a variety of reasons.

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
whiskeyjack

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 03:47:01 AM »

Hey, thanks for that.   I had a K&K in my 000-15S initially but wanted sound hole controls of at least volume. . .  That's one of the reasons why I switched to the 'Baggs units.  If K&K had a unit that provided control wheels at the sound hole I probably would've kept it.

Thanks again.

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 05:38:31 AM »

Jack, I have bought a few units that plug into the endpin jack and have a passive volume control. Martin used to have one available called the Martin V.T.C. (Volume Tone Control). I have bought a few of them from Ebay. Schertler has one available now that is just a volume control. There are a couple others and I think there is a cord with an integral volume control. I use either the Martin or the Schertler and either does it just fine. But your point is a great one.

Another solution would be to use a volume pedal.

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
whiskeyjack

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 10:00:35 PM »

I guess it's all in how the thing is used.  If you're tied into a board and someone is able to control the board while your playing, that's ideal.  But when you're playing alone and in the middle of a song you decide that the guitar could use less volume or a little more presence it's nice to have something you don't have to reach or fumble around with.   Those sound hole wheels are really nice that way.

I've had a couple of the passive devices similar to what you suggest.   I also had the Pure Western pre amp when I had the K&K unit on the 000-15S. It clipped to my strap or belt alright but the knobs were so tiny and I could never remember which knob was which and had to fumble around to find the right one.

I'm gonna' probably stick with the IMix set up just to be consistent with my other instruments.  It's something I'm familiar with and it sounds good.   'Was just wondering what else is out there with onboard controls that sounds decent.

Thanks, DBirch.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: