Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Box Elder"--Some picking and singing on my new OM-03R  (Read 1178 times)
ukeforever

Ignore
« on: March 14, 2008, 07:08:09 AM »

Love this thing--it's a hoot to play, looks and sounds beautiful. This song is a rough rendition of "Box Elder" by LJ Booth:

Box Elder by LJ Boothhttp://www.box.net/shared/bygy507scs

I'm enjoying the heck out of my new Larrivee. I'm also new to the forum. Some good fingerstyle music on here, from what I've heard so far. 
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 12:21:56 PM »

Nice playing and welcome to the friendliest forum on the net.  OM-03R's are terrific sounding guitars.  If you don't already have one, I recommend a bone saddle.  For a small purchase, it adds a noticable amount of tone and sustain to RW OM's.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
Woodbadger

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 01:05:26 PM »

Beautiful song "Uke". LJ Booth has got to be one of the best songwriters most people have never heard of! I first heard this song performed by David Wilcox. He and Booth have collaborated on some songs together - "Western Ridge" is one that comes to mind.

I am glad to see that LJ has a new CD in the works. "The Ox That Pulls the Cart" is in constant rotation here.

Welcome to the forum. Have a donut on me 

BTW - where did you get your arrangement? I have been looking for that for awhile. Did you figure it out yourself? Standard or open tuning??

Ian (in Cedar Creek, TX)
1974 Eko Ranger VI
2002 Larrivee LV10E
2007 McIlroy A25C

"When you're tired, and can't do anything, don't do anything. And while you're not doing anything, practice" - Robert Fripp
ukeforever

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 05:39:53 PM »

BTW - where did you get your arrangement? I have been looking for that for awhile. Did you figure it out yourself? Standard or open tuning??

Thanks for the nice words.

I used to play it in open G with C on the 6th string, cut capo on the first fret. That's how Wilcox plays it, more or less, and it's never really satisfied because I like the way Booth plays it on his album. A couple of days ago, I stumbled upon Booth's site and found the key: DADGCD. It's a lot easier this way, and it sounds closer to the original. I am far from replicating Booth's aggressive fingerpicking style, though. Maybe someday.

gskar

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 06:31:09 PM »

Beautiful singing and playing. Good job, George.

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 10:58:27 PM »

Bravo! Your playing is outstanding but your voice is unforgettable. What a great song. Wish I had a voice like yours.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: