The best life advice ever given to you?

Started by DaveyO, March 06, 2008, 05:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well I'm gettin some of the best advice I ever heard on this thread...Thanks to all.    One more from me is "get past your past..." That came from my wife...It's been very good advice. Danny

Takes practice but - Don't worry about things you can't control. Good stress tool
Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus

Quote from: D4ve on March 09, 2008, 06:57:25 AM
Takes practice but - Don't worry about things you can't control. Good stress tool
That is really good advice.  In perspective, control really is more of an illusion than anything else.  We are mostly just being bounced around by different circumstances our entire lives.  The only real control we have is how we react to those circumstances. 

I'm so old and jaded, the only advice I take is from fortune cookies.

"He who stands around with hands in pockets feels cocky all day"
If it sounds good, it is good.

About 35 years ago I received this advice from an elderly gentleman that I viewed as a mentor:

"When in doubt......don't" 

It has always made me stop and think things through.
Larrivee RS-4 GoldTop
G&L S-500 BlueBurst

A famous horse trainer and my mentor, passed on to me some inspiring words that I will never forget.  He said, "Those that have must lose because those that don't have can't lose".  Desire, drive and hunger make all the difference in the world when the odds are stacked against you.

Justin

OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")

Quote from: bearsville0 on March 09, 2008, 02:14:05 PM
I'm so old and jaded, the only advice I take is from fortune cookies.

"He who stands around with hands in pockets feels cocky all day"
:roll
...and don't eat yellow snow!
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: bluesman67 on March 11, 2008, 08:18:59 AM
:roll
...and don't eat yellow snow!
Watch out where the huskies go
Don't you eat the yellow snow !!!    :roll
Larrivée OOO40-MT (2018)
Gibson Advanced Jumbo (1997)
Taylor AD17E Blacktop

I love the smell of Spruce in the morning

Quote from: Braxton on March 11, 2008, 09:53:00 AM
Watch out where the huskies go
Don't you eat the yellow snow !!!    :roll
do do do do do do
OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")

Advice I received just before I got married:
Success in marriage is not about meeting the right person, it's about being the right person.

And not so much advice, but something that sometimed helps to put things in perspective when the money's running out:
Your greatest wealth is your health.
Larrivee P-05
Brook Taw

I only came across this recently, but I felt it distilled my general philosophy towards life.

The Stockdale Paradox:
"Retain faith that you will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties and at the same time confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be." - Jim Collins, "Good to Great"

L-03R
P-05
Godin SD

"It's better to have folks think you're a fool, than to open your mouth and prove them right."

These last 2 hit me tween the peepers...Danny                    snow (uh don't eat that)

"Our worst fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'who am I to be so brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?' Actually, who are we not to be? You are a child of God: Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us. It is not just in some of us, it is in everyone and as we let our own light shine we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
~Marianne Williamson
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Quote from: Dale_I on March 19, 2008, 01:21:05 AM
"Our worst fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'who am I to be so brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?' Actually, who are we not to be? You are a child of God: Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There is nothing enlightening about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us. It is not just in some of us, it is in everyone and as we let our own light shine we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
~Marianne Williamson

Who is She? This sounds like something "Helen Keller" would have said. Which BTW (by the way) was my Grandma's cousin.  My favorite quote of Helen Kellers is "KEEP YOUR FACE TO THE SUNSHINE AND YOU CAN NOT SEE THE SHADOWS"      Danny

K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple stupid.

Don't sweat the small stuff and ... it's all small stuff.

When in doubt - chicken out!

"He not busy being born, is busy dying.." His Bobness

If the sh*t fits, wear it! - Raoul Duke. 

"K.I.S.S. - Keep it simple stupid."   ducktrapper this is a great one. I shared it with a young upwardly mobile gentleman after a long meeting with him yesterday. He handed me a list of requirements (after milking me of my knowledge and experience for an hour and a half) It was definitely written by lawyers from some ivory tower. After telling him about K.I.S.S. I also said all my "contracts" are handshakes. I wish it could stay that simple  :thumbsup Danny

I've got a couple good ones to pass along:

Never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Always have a buddy.

Don't sh*t where you eat.

If it's worth shooting, it's worth shooting twice or thrice.

The maximum effective range of a hand grenade is always one foot greater than your jumping distance.

Two is one and one is none.

Go big or go home

Never back down.

Laugh at the CO's jokes.

and finally, what my dad always says to round out his sage advice with:  "free advice is always worth it's price."
Larrivee D-03R "Marie"
www.joereitzphoto.com

Or ... take my advice, I'm not using it.   :laughin:

My father:
Take care of the little things, and the big things will take care of themselves.

An old cowboy who used to work my rear end off at a cattle company when I was a young'un:
Experience is something you get right after you coulda used it.

You kin put your boots in the oven, but that don't make'em biscuits.

Ghandi:
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.