Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: UPDATE on Funky lookin Finish 2004 LV-09RE  (Read 1471 times)
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2008, 02:23:04 AM »

I was lookin at a LV-09RE today and really wanted to buy it. It looked pretty good in the normal light inside a small room, but then I took IT out to where daylight was coming in and MAN WAS I SHOCKED. The finish looked like someone had a sneezing fit while they were sprayin the gloss on....really really bad. The back was worst kinda like it was "pickled" but the sides had it too. What a bummer... I told the young man to contact Larrivee and see if they would take care of this...One other note I then examined everything closer, there were other issues, but the most striking (other than the worse gloss job I've ever seen) was that the NECK was starting to twist. Was this an Imitation Larri or do they really have a bad hair day sometimes? My D-09 was made in Canada in 2000 and the gloss on it is perfect. Like it should be. Was the California EPA formula the cause or what?  This was my 1st dose of cold water regarding Larri's. Please enlighten me on this one.   Danny crying
         There is a happy ending here for me anyway. This caused me to go ahead and buy a new P-09, you can read a little more in my later post. (I THINK THIS WAS CAUSED BY EXTREME TEMPERATURE SWING & POOR HANDLING OF A VERY NICE INSTRUMENT.)

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 03:13:53 AM »

sounds like orange peel

Daysailer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 03:47:12 AM »

If this was a previously owned guitar, maybe there was some kind of outside repair done. (not Larrivee.)

I do know that Larrivee does NOT do Seconds or Blems. So that couldnt be the case. ( in case someone thinks that may be the reason for the finish and neck issues).

Either way, I dont believe it left the factory with a sub standard finish or warped neck.

ds 

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person
Steve
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 04:46:27 AM »

I dont believe it left the factory with a sub standard finish or warped neck.

+1
John R

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 11:41:04 AM »

Sounds to me like someone has had an accident with that guitar, had a quick cheap fix done and then unloaded it pronto by trading it in. Steer well clear. The only problem is some poor unsuspecting punter could buy it and be put off Larrivees.  That guitar needs a Viking funeral. Mind you from whats been said, its probably been halfway there already. 

God is Good
Larrivee L09, L05, L05 MT, P 09, OM 03 MT 12 string
Hofner Committe Thin 1962
Musicman Albert Lee (blue)
ditto in red but hard tail
Silhouette Special
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 02:33:09 AM »

Thanks for the replies...He bought it new in New York.....Anyway GRUB FOR YA'LL from deep in the heart of Texas, (Austin) I don't normally eat donuts but I am today!!!!!! Sorry but I don't drink beer anymore... bigrin bigrin bigrin bigrin bigrin bigrin bigrin bigrin bigrin bigrin bigrin

I'm HAPPY that it was that way Cause I just got home and my D-09 has a new little brother ...Yep I bought a fresh ,bright and shiny P-09.....COOOOOOOOOL... I've got em sittin next to each other and they look cool next to each other. The D-09 Has a Suntan compared to the bright white new spruce top on the Parlour
The D-09 has a honeyed tone to the top that's really sweet... I've got to learn how to post pix cause it really is the nicest one I've seen. You Canucks sure made that one right.... BTW the Guitar tech. At Srait Music said that ugly finish on th LV-09RE was due to a drastic temperature change, when someone opens a case before the guitar is acclimated to the new temp. He said he has seen it do it to gloss finish. Any way I gotta post this  Larri GAS cured!!! (for now)

John R

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »

Congratulations on a great little guitar. My parlour is just a stock model, nothing flashy. I changed the Cleartone strings to Elixirs [12s as I didnt have any 13s at the time and I was having those Cleartone blues.....] what a brilliant guitar. Sounds awesome plugged in too. How about some photos of your family of Larris, cheers John

God is Good
Silhouette Special
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 06:06:04 AM »

Congratulations on a great little guitar. My parlour is just a stock model, nothing flashy. I changed the Cleartone strings to Elixirs [12s as I didnt have any 13s at the time and I was having those Cleartone blues.....] what a brilliant guitar. Sounds awesome plugged in too. How about some photos of your family of Larris, cheers John

I finally managed to post some pix in the article(thread, on shoulder pain) and some more in the picture forum. I call it my P-09RX cause PONTE prescribed it for me and I got cured when I filled the script at my friendly local Lari provider. It was interesting that we were discussing this here on the forum and then they just got this Parlor in after it was clear to me that it was what I needed. One more note the Rosewood on this is Indian and it is a 09 series but I have NEVER seen a prettier grain and color (back and sides). I tried to capture it with the camera, but the gloss is so reflective it was hard to do. You can see the grain pattern quite nicely in the side neckheel pix tho. Good nite....Danny 

John R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 01:42:56 AM »

Lovely guitars. I am so pleased you are sorted. John

God is Good
Silhouette Special
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print