Adding Strap Button LV model

Started by richy3, March 04, 2008, 06:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi folks!  I am really enjoying my new LV05E.  It's my first Larrivee and it's great.  I am really sweating, though, over adding a necessary (for me) strap button to the neck heel.  I am a pretty handy guy so I think I'm going to do it myself.  I know the following...

1.  position on the treble side of the neck heel
2.  pre-drill hole with appropriate size bit
3.  use wax or soap to ease screw in.
4.  use a felt washer between the wood and the button.
5.  Larrivee doesn't use bolts so I won't hit anything but wood.

I've actually done this on other guitars without incident but this is my first heirloom quality acoustic.
Can some of you guys do me a big favor and post some pics of EXACTLY where this button should be positioned?  There are quite a few inches of neck heel and only one chance to drill a hole (gulp) in this precious South American single piece hand shaped mahogany neck.
2010 Martin 0015ML
2008 Martin D28L (w/ Fishman Matrix Infinity)
2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus LH
1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom LH
1981 Yamaha FG375SII (converted to LH)
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Standard LH
2004 Lucida Artista Classical
www.reverbnation.com/richlapierre

You may want to consider installing a strap lock instead of a strap button. I use the Dunlop strap locks, but there are many options available. I find that a strap lock is far more secure than a button. Just a suggestion...

[attachment no longer available]
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Man, I had the same concern w/ my first D-03r.  I measured and re-measured so many times, I really began feeling physically ill.  I tried to find the perfect spot to where my hand would cup the button and where it wouldn't get into the way when I played up the fretboard.  After all of this mess and finally actually drilling the hole, I came across this link from Breedlove.  As it happens, Breedlove suggests placement in the exact same spot that I agonized :crying: trying to find. 
http://www.breedloveguitars.com/resources/support/strapbuttons/index.php
The only other suggestion that I know to give would be to get a small strip of masking tape and place it in the general area of the drill point.  Mark the drill point w/ a pen on the masking tape and drill w/ the masking tape in place.  It may help keep the hole smooth on the edges w/o any unlikely splintering, plus you'll know exactly where to drill.   Good luck and I hope this helps!  
:cheers
Larrivee D-09
Washburn D-10S
Framus Classical Archback
Fender Jazz and P-Basses

"Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?" (Eric Idle)
Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero)

going to that Breedlove link was a very good tip.  I also looked on line at some Martin cutaways which all come with a strap button installed. Anyway... the deed is done!  I went down the cellar last night with my brand spankin new $2800 list price LV05 and I drilled a hole in it!  I may have lost a few years of my life in the process but it seems to be in the appropriate place and feels quite comfortable.  thanks.
2010 Martin 0015ML
2008 Martin D28L (w/ Fishman Matrix Infinity)
2010 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Plus LH
1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom LH
1981 Yamaha FG375SII (converted to LH)
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Standard LH
2004 Lucida Artista Classical
www.reverbnation.com/richlapierre