For Electric Players - Overdrives

Started by MJG, July 09, 2004, 06:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Although my heart is with acoustic guitars, I've been having some fun lately with my electric.  Although I'm not ready to purchase a tube amp yet, first comes my Larrivee, I was wondering what OD pedal would give a solid state amp the most "tube like" tone.  No heavy metal needed, just some tube like warmth from subtle break up to classic blues/rock.  Although it is a solid state amp, Fender Princton Stereo Chorus, it has a nice clean fat tone with a very lush chorus.  The only drawback to this amp is that the overdrive channel is a bit lame...hense the need for the OD pedal.

Perhaps the Boss Blues Drive, OD1 or OS1?  Maybe a TS9.  I would like to keep it under $100.

Thanks
Mike <><

I love that amp. Do you use it with an acoustic at all?

I'd use an Ibanez TS-9 or one of the modern incantations.  
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

The one an ONLY pedal I use is an Ibanez TS-9.  I play it through my '65 Vibrolux, sounds great! :ph34r:  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

QuoteI love that amp. Do you use it with an acoustic at all?

I'd use an Ibanez TS-9 or one of the modern incantations.
I have never seriously played my acoustic through the Princeton Chorus.  Just a couple of pick-up tests at home.  I always go to through the PA.  I always thought that electric guitar amps weren't voiced for acoustics so I never really gave it much thought.  Maybe I should play around with it and see what happens.

I think I am leaning towards the TS-9 at this point but want to check out the Sparkle Drive as well.

Thanks
Mike <><

I have heard that the Princeton Chorus is so clean that it works very well as an acoustic amp as well.  
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom