Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee L-09 vs. Morgan Concert Series  (Read 965 times)
berlin58

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2008, 02:37:03 PM »

If you had to choose between one of these two guitars and the difference in price was not a factor, which one would you buy and why???

dermot

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 04:41:44 PM »

The Morgan... it's a true luthier master built instrument, and it shows when you play it. (and pay for it)

A friend replaced his Manzer with a Morgan.... they are that good.....

There is a few more luithers in the "Larrivee" school as well - Paragon comes to mind as an awesome builder, and Rob spent years with Jean, ending up in R&D....

There's many other west coast builders as well... David Webber makes great instruments, but not really Larrivee influnced.

If budget is a concern and a modern & ballanced sound is what you like then Larrivee is very hard to beat.

If budget is less of a concern, and you know what you want a luthier is a very good way to go...

No bad choices... but i would chose the luither and wait for one to be made to my spec's

d.

dotpitch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 04:56:19 PM »

Definitely the Morgan Concert series. The Morgan Concert series guitars have all of the same basic specs as the Larrivee L series guitars AND each Morgan is hand-voiced for the particular pieces of wood that go into its construction. You'll also find Morgan's available in a much wider selection of wood combinations than the Larrivees. If Morgan takes commissioned orders, you'll be able to get any wood combination that you'd like as well as whatever neck profile, nut width and saddle string spacing you prefer.

Tho if price was not really a factor, I wouldn't go with a Larrivee -or- a Morgan. I'd be looking at McKnights (just spent a week with one of those), Mustapicks, Ryans, Bashkins, Fays, Kinnairds, and Simpsons (among others).
berlin58

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 08:04:19 PM »

Thank you Dermot and Dotpitch for your input. My limit is just about $2,000, so that would put me right in the range of the Morgan
    guitars, give or take about $100.00. I sure would like to spend more, but unfortunately I can not.
     I just checked the Paragon website and they had a huge price increase on their guitars starting January 1st of 2008. They went from
    a base price of $3400 to $4500. Ouch!!!
     If my math is correct that is approximately a 30% increase in price. Business must be really good or the cost of materials is skyrocketing,
     or both!!!
     Thanks!!!  bigrin

Patrick
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: