Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastman Archtops any opinions?  (Read 608 times)
uncleruby

Ignore
« on: February 27, 2008, 08:40:08 PM »

Anyone familiar with this maker? Thinking particularly of the Uptown series. I really love the violin finish.

http:Eastman Guitars Uptown//www.eastmanguitars.com/models/uptown.html

maybe larrivee would like to make something similar whistling (they don't do they?)noob alert.

P-09
and various oddball electrics. :].....
SteveD216

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 10:19:21 PM »

The quality of the Eastman Archtops is first class all the way. Best value for the money for a handmade guitar IMHO.

tubeornot2b

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 08:15:51 PM »

SKetchy quality control on the earlier models. Anything after 06 is a pretty safe bet. Great handcarved acrhtop guitars. But do not expect a Gibson L5, or 175 type of tone, that is not what they are about. The acoustic archback flat tops  are interesting. BUT the necks on those a very thin, even to me and I have small hands. To me they feel much thinner than my 810CE neck.
uncleruby

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 02:49:22 PM »

thanks for the opinions....Gibson L-5  I'll take 2! have to have them in both finishes of course... ....You know what got me started on this archtop thing...I have a Parker Fly and now Ken Parker is on his own making brilliant looking (haven't seen in person or touched or heard this holy grail of guitars) Archtops..if  you haven't seen them check out kenparkerarchtops.com ( i think that's the url)--it is....they are so damn cool. Any way waaaay out of my mere mortal price range $30,000 achem, cough ,cough  at least that's what I read on some forum somewhere......So anyway when I get something in my head.."must have archtop,,,must" I usually go for it , eventually after exhaustive research (half the fun)- like picking a new bride, no?....so if its under say 2500 its a go, I'll keep looking but I think the Eastman will serve my limited chops anyway...as long as the neck doesnt go wanky if a few yaers of ownership....cheers everyone.....

P-09
and various oddball electrics. :].....
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 02:59:32 PM »

I have a Parker Fly and now Ken Parker is on his own making brilliant looking (haven't seen in person or touched or heard this holy grail of guitars) Archtops..if  you haven't seen them check out kenparkerarchtops.com ( i think that's the url)--it is....they are so damn cool. Any way waaaay out of my mere mortal price range $30,000 achem, cough ,cough  at least that's what I read on some forum
Ken Parker is quite an interesting guy. The New Yorker had a good story on him a few months back and he talked about his archtops. He is serious about them, and way-back-when he met with all the great builders of premium archtops. Long before the advent of the Parker Fly (great guitar, but a commercial flop).
At $30,000 a copy they ought to be pretty good. Bet you can get a discount on a dozen of them, though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: