Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Member  (Read 630 times)
boxr_fan

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2008, 12:45:03 PM »

I joined the forum about 2 weeks ago and have been lurking reading a lot of information about Larry's since I'm looking at buying another guitar. Well, this is my official first post and would like to thank the forum for its' wealth of information.

Larry's intrigued me because of their price and sound. Up to this point I own a couple smaller bodied guitars (OM & 000) and wanted to venture into a larger bodied guitar that would provide a little more bass response. So, I decided to bite the bullet and purchased an L-03 from Jim/Trinity guitars. He will be upgrading the saddle to bone and also will be installing a K&K western mini P/U. Jim seems to be a really nice guy to deal with. This will be my first venture in A/E. How this guitar is equipped is based on all the information I got off this forum.

I'm currently on the hunt for a decent amp and think I've narrowed it down to three....Ultrasound AG50, Roland AC60 and Genz Benz Shen 60. Hopefully I'm on the right track. I only play for personal enjoyment and will be using the amp at home. These amps may be overkill for my use but what the heck.

Anyway, should I be OK without using a preamp and if so, would any of the three amps work better w/o a preamp -or- should I seriously consider a preamp?

Thanks,
Randie
DFR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 01:11:37 PM »

Randie

Welcome to the forum...and congrats on the new guitar!  I'm in a similar situation.  My OMV-50 came with a K&K Western Mini but I've yet to use it.  I'm looking at the same amps, although I confess I know very little about them.  As far as overkill, I doubt it.  It may be a little more power than what you (we) need for home, but the added features that the slightly larger amp brings (extra channel/input, a larger or extra speaker, etc.), make it worth while I think.  I plan on picking up the K&K XLR pre-amp eventually as well.  May be handy if I ever get the courage to do an open mike...

Thanks for the coffee...here's a couple donuts to go with it.  Take your pick.

Dave

Larrivee OMV-50
Martin 000-28VS(B)
La Patrie Concert
Republic (O-style reso)
'62 Silvertone (amp in case...dual lipstick p'ups)
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 01:58:11 PM »

welcome Hi Randie. Welcome to the forum.
As ducktrapper always says, "yeah, them Larrivees is purdy good for the money."
 nice guitar congratulations on your first Larrivee. it will give you years of playing enjoyment. I have K&Ks installed in two of my Larrivees and no preamp for either one. I play in a very large hall on Saturdays and an open mic in a coffeehouse on Tuesdays and the preamp isn't necessary.
You might consider a smaller amp (15 or 30 watts) such as the Crate since you are only playing at home. In order to drive the amp you have to crank it, which you are not going to want to do with a 60 watt amplifier at home perhaps (if you live in an apartment or if there are others in the house trying to sleep, study, read, watch television, think).
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 02:28:54 PM »

welcome

Welcome to the forum Randie, and congratulations on the new Larrivee.
I use the Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr 35 watts for home and it's a great little amp. 2 inputs, 1 for your guitar and the other for a mic, top notch effects onboard, more than enough power for what you want and can be hooked to a PA if you play somewhere large, light weight and doesn't take up much room.  Jeez, I sound like a commercial. Really though, I got mine off eBay from a reputable dealer for $299 including shipping. It was the best deal I could find at the time and I was checking out all the brands in that size range. If you have the ability to go to a music store and sample the different amps that would be the best way to narrow down your search.
It' as much fun as shopping for a guitar.
cheers,

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Hudman

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 02:47:46 PM »

Congrats on the new guitar!  +1

I have been fortunate to own many different brand guitars over the years. In my opinion, there is something special about Larrivees. They sound, look and play like a dream.

I recently purchased an LR Baggs M1 Active sound hole pickup for my OM-03R. I don't like the way sound hole pickups look, but I love they way the premium sound hole pickups sound. I went with the M1 Active because it has a built in preamp and a volume control. It also picks up the vibration of the soundboard, the sound inside the guitar and the sound from the strings.

I used to be "edman" here......
Braxton

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 03:07:30 PM »

Welcome Randie, and congrats for your new L03  nice guitar

Sandro

Recording King RNJ-25 (2011)
Bruno Barnes Italian Spruce & Maple (2010)
Martin OM-21 Special (2006)
Classic Di Giorgio Student 18 (1975)    

I love the smell of Italian Spruce in the morning
boxr_fan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 03:16:48 PM »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes and advise.

I stumbled onto a used Ultrasound AG-50DS2 and a new Genz Benz Shen60. They are only priced $25 apart (the new Genz Benz is priced ridiculously low). Which would you go for? I've heard a lot of positive posts on Ultrasound. I've not discounted maybe a smaller amp.

Randie
whiskeyjack

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 08:44:52 AM »

Welcome aboard!~~~      
You've tied into a fine guitar: the best value on the planet I think.

Your choices of amplifiers is right up there too.  I've owned both the Ultrasound and currently have a Genz Benz.  You really can't go wrong with either amp.  I'm not sure how important digital effects are to your playing but. . . . .You might also consider a Fender DSP Acoustasonic Junior.  It has digital effects dedicated to each channel: each channel's effects can be adjusted independent of the other.   Neither the 50DS2 nor the Shen 60 have that capability: the effects you set on those amps will go to one or both channels.  They do not have dedicated effects adjustments per channel.

Both of the amps you're considering sound excellent.  But another advantage is their weight.  The Ultrasound weighs barely 26 pounds, the Genz Benz a little more and it's more bulky.  Both are not bad to haul around.  The Fender is around 40 pounds but not bad either.

If I was buying my first acoustic amp I'd probably buy the Fender because I like to colour the microphone channel with an assortment of reverb and the instrument with a little chorus or other modest effects that accent the real sound of the guitar.  My current Genz Benz 200 Pro has dedicated effects on each channel: very versatile. But it's around $750.

You should be able to pick up a nice Genz Benz  or Ultrasound for $400 or less.

Good luck to ya.   welcome

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 05:48:38 PM »

Here's a used Genz Benz 60:

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=20390.0

Oh, and WELCOME!

David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up