Just Got My New SD-60 . Incredable Guitar!

Started by suburude, February 28, 2008, 08:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi!  :wave I am new to the forum and new to Larrivees! I just bought and traded for 2 a D-50 and the latest the
SD-60. I am blown away by these incredable instruments! The SD especially! Looking forward to being involved in your group!  BTW check this out "MY uke gently weeps" you may have to copy it into your address line.    Suburude

http://defamer.com/358955/while-my-ukulele-gently-weeps                      :nanadance:nana_guitar :nanadance
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."

Isaac Asimov

Welcome to the forum.  Agree, an awesome guitar the SD-60.  Mine continues to impress me evertime I play it.
2004 SD-60
2000 Martin OM-21
1973 LoPrinzi LR-15

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

SD-60, totally awesome. Instead of Slope Dread the SD should be Super Dog, as they are the Big Dog of guitars.

Congrats on a great guitar and enjoy it in good health.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

Howdy Folks,

What are the differences between the D-60 and SD-60? Is that just the slotted head stock? What all would that change about a guitar? Sound diff?

:gotpics:

Michael, the SD is a slope-shouldered 12 fret dread, the D is a 14 fret dread.  The 12 fretters place the bridge more in the middle of the soundboard, thus moving the top much more efficiently.  Also has a larger body resulting in a larger sound, not neccessarily louder, but larger/fuller.  There are also those that claim that the slotted headstock, becuase it gives a better brak angle for the sting over the nut, transfers vibrations more efficiently to the top, as does the shorter neck.  Another difference on the Larrivee 12 fret dreads is the wider 1 7/8" neck.  I'm sure there are other differences that I have neglected to add, but I will leave that to others to speak to.
2004 SD-60
2000 Martin OM-21
1973 LoPrinzi LR-15

In point of fact, the D body is larger than the SD
D-60 body dimensions
Lower Bout=16"
UB=11.875"
Waist=10.875"
Depth=5"

SD-60 body dimensions
Lower Bout=15.375"
UB=11.375"
Waist=10"
Depth=4.875"

Quote from: Queequeg on February 28, 2008, 04:00:22 PM
In point of fact, the D body is larger than the SD
D-60 body dimensions
Lower Bout=16"
UB=11.875"
Waist=10.875"
Depth=5"

SD-60 body dimensions
Lower Bout=15.375"
UB=11.375"
Waist=10"
Depth=4.875"

The one dimension you left out, though, is the length of the body from neck end to end block - I believe the slope D is longer, and this contributes much to the overall tone...just a minor point...
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 28, 2008, 05:36:11 PM
The one dimension you left out, though, is the length of the body from neck end to end block - I believe the slope D is longer, and this contributes much to the overall tone...just a minor point...
You are correct, sir!
:bowdown:

Point taken, and what he said. :bgrin:
2004 SD-60
2000 Martin OM-21
1973 LoPrinzi LR-15

ah, but my point was that the SD is a smaller body  guitarthan the D. and I stand by that. (even if it is longer)
that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
anyone wants to challenge it, fill your D body with water, and then empty it into your SD body and you will see that it will overflow, and the SD simply can not hold all the water in your D guitar.
(and we should probably ask that you youtube this.)
here; have a donut.  :donut

Quote from: Michael1964 on February 28, 2008, 02:39:20 PM
What are the differences between the D-60 and SD-60? Is that just the slotted head stock? What all would that change about a guitar? Sound diff?

Big difference in sound. Granted, I've haven't compared the D-60 with the SD-60, but I have played a D-50 to compare to my SD-50 and the SD sounds, to use a description used earier on this thread, "fuller". I think it's a richer sound. Not that that D-50 sounded "worse" (I loved the sound of the D-50, an incredible sounding dread) but my desert island guitar is definately the SD.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

Congratulations on the new SD-60.

I really liked your link. I wonder what kind of Uke he is playing, it appeared to be all Koa.

:nice guitar:
:donut  :coffee  :donut2
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Congrats on the new guitar!

Quote from: suburude on February 28, 2008, 08:48:16 AMBTW check this out "MY uke gently weeps" you may have to copy it into your address line.

I suddenly want a uke! Well, I'm at least adding that to my list of songs to learn. Thanks for posting.

Let us not forget that the D-50 has one of them skinny little necks that can tangle one's fingers up into knots when they're tryin to finger pick. Spent an afternoon at the 12th Fret last Christmas and the best sounding guitar I played that day was a D-50 slot head, and for $1200 there wasn't another instrument in the store that could compete in beauty or sound. But then, they were fresh out of SD's. 12 frets compared to 14 frets is apples to oranges regardless of the spruce real estate.
1978 Yamaha FG-335
1979 Takamine 349
1980 Ibanez 12 String Dread
1990 Samick f-hole Mandolin
Martin Backpacker
2005 Larrivee SD-50 SH
2007 P-05 with modified bracing and side port

Soon to be built Karol Solo multiscale
and Signature Baritone

Those who make it look effortless work the hardest