Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K&K Pure Western/Removable Installation  (Read 703 times)
rakalm

Ignore
« on: March 02, 2008, 02:39:46 PM »

Has anyone put the standard size K&K Western in a Larrivee?  I am leaning towards a removeable installation and was wondering whether it will fit in my OMV-03.  I have printed out the template from K&K's website but was hoping for some feedback on someone with first hand experience.  I will try the template next time I change strings.

Thanks in advance

dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 05:38:02 PM »

K&K now recommends the Pure Western Mini for all installations.  It's been imporved, and nearly matches the old standard in output.  Plus has a more balanced sound.  The Mini will Definiately fit.

I've done the 'tempoary' and glued-in installation on the same guitar. The 'temporay' method works and sound great, but I'm really glad I finally had them glued.  Dieter at K&K was recommending I do it for more than year. I was hesitant - It's my Collings! Big difference in clarity, and volume.  Almost like pulling cotton from your ears. Unless you're installng it in a museum piece, I'd recommend going with the glue.  Besides, any competent luthier can remove the glued pickups with no problem.

Good luck, rakcalm, and let us know how it turns out!

David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 01:48:40 AM »

I put a mini in my LV-03-12 not too long ago. I thought about the standard and called K&K. They strongly recommended the mini and I took their advice.

I am very happy with my decision. It went in neat as you please although I would have had room for the standard I do believe.

Why are you looking for the standard? If it is output you want, there is plenty of output from the glued mini.

Look on Ebay for the seconds from K&K, they work great and you save a few bucks.

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
bluepowder

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 05:19:23 AM »

I've got them in all 3 of my Larrivee's.  Easy to install and they all sound great plus no moving parts or anything to go wrong.  Definitely go with the permanent install, they are so non-intrusive that you won't even know they are there, about the size of a dime but probably even lighter than that.  You'll be fine.....

Kurt
Fstpicker

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 12:03:07 AM »

Ditto on the permanent install. I don't take the time to mess with the temporary installation. Plus, if you change your mind, you can remove it, if you are careful, with no problems.

Would that all guitars would have the end-pin holes pre-drilled for a pickup like Larrivee and Taylor do.

Jeff

Stanford PSD10 (best Martin D-18 copy out there!)
Stanford PSD20
Walden D552 12-string
The Loar LM-400VS Mandolin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: