Best Strings on Larrivee??

Started by willnorvell, February 20, 2008, 01:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: rrgguitarman on March 03, 2008, 12:51:54 PM
Darn! I have to find a way to find more free time during my 16 hour work day to pay closer attention... :humour:

Or at least to my post. Maybe Steve can setup an archive of everything I post, that way people who just want to read the important stuff can visit there and not have to wade through all the crap.  :smile:

Quote from: naboz on March 03, 2008, 12:49:39 PM
Because my OM05 stays in DADGAD, I have gone to GHS TM (True Mediums), great price and these are specifically for alternate tunings

Although I prefer the John Pearse "new mediums", I must say that the GHS TM strings are the most comfortable strings I've ever used for DADGAD. Very smooth on the fingers and they sound great!
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

I have DR phosphor bronze round wound on my OM and I like them. They have lasted quite long as well.

I'm using D'Addario EJ16's on my new LV-10e.  At first they were a little too bright for me, but now they are settling in nicely.  Still learning what's good on my new aquisition, but I can say that Cleartones are no good. 
2008 Larrivee LV-10E "Faith"
1997 Yamaha FGX-412C
1980 Epi A-12

I put D'Addario EJ19 Bluegrass set on my OM-03R.

They sound (and feel) great for celtic/fiddle tune picking and strumming (and a little fingerpicking) in dropped D and standard tuning. :bgrin:

Might try the EXP version next time, or maybe go to mediums first for comparison...

KG
Larrivee P-01 Mahogany Parlor
Taylor 512ce
Eastman 504 (for sale!)
My Dad's fiddle (1924 Carlo Micelli)

My D-09 ( :nice guitar:) is equipped with Dogal Roundcore RC148, handmade Italian strings (from Venice).
They sound GREAT and keep their sound for a very long time!!!
1988 Yamaha FG445
2004 Crafter TB-Bubinga
2007 Larrivèe D-09E

Quote from: willnorvell on February 20, 2008, 01:36:08 AM
What do you guys think are the best strings for Larrivee guitars?

GUITAR STRINGS :humour:

Quote from: AtlasHeating on March 03, 2008, 05:33:22 PM
I have DR phosphor bronze round wound on my OM and I like them. They have lasted quite long as well.

Would those be the DR Sunbeams?   
I have 3 sets of the Sunbeam 12-54's on the way from Strings and Beyond.
I am looking forward to trying them on my guitars to try and find a less expensive string that sounds like the Newtone Masterclass round core stings.

ds  :beer
L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person

Yes they are the sunbeams. I couldn't remember when I posted. Great strings! I have tried the newtones and I am not sure if one is better. I like the round core.
I also have a set of the DR zebras that I want to try next. I have a soundhole pickup on the OM and I am curious about the sound.

Quote from: AtlasHeating on March 06, 2008, 08:49:42 AM
Yes they are the sunbeams. I couldn't remember when I posted. Great strings! I have tried the newtones and I am not sure if one is better. I like the round core.
I also have a set of the DR zebras that I want to try next. I have a soundhole pickup on the OM and I am curious about the sound.

I have a set of DR Sunbeams on a Seagull. Sounds really good. I'd buy them again for the price. Strings are just so personal though...

For those that have not already done so, here is a string test you can listen to. Go to the "Tech Stuff" seciton and click on string test. Interesting results. http://www.thekrashsite.com/hcag/
Be Prepared...

QuoteFor those that have not already done so, here is a string test you can listen to. Go to the "Tech Stuff" seciton and click on string test. Interesting results. http://www.thekrashsite.com/hcag/

That 'blind' string test was kinda cool.  My tin ears picked the PB strings 1 - Martin then surprisingly (to me anyway) the DR and Elixer in a virtual tie, except the DR sustained a little more.   Thanks for the link!
7? NBN CT R LTD (custom concert Size) http://media.putfile.com/Pupu-HinuhinuKahuli-Aku-NBN-CT-R-Ltd
76 Martin D-35 (MIA)
58 Harmony Sovereign 1203
06 S & P Woodland Spruce 12
01 Larrivee L09  http://media.putfile.com/Manu-Kai-Larrivee-L09

I just brought home a new P-09 and of course it has Cleartones on it, which is o.k. BUT... I will change them to alchemy GoldBronze CL12-54's in a few days. I have done this with all my Rosewoods and I just like em best all around. Tho EJ 17's are great (and cheap) Then again as another member noted in a different thread NEW strings do seem to be best. Last week I was playin a very nice D-41 that you could just tell wasn't at its top sound and I asked my friend how long had it been since he changed the strings....It had been a loooonnnng time, so I said Shame on ya. But they still looked new!! But the tone was deadened for sure, I think they were Martin SP's. Danny :guitar :arrow :roll

:+1: for the DR's.  I just put a set on my D-03R and it sounds great!  Best its ever sounded I think.
Richard

Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee L-05MT
Martin 000-28
Martin 000-28
Martin D35
Ovation Balladeer
Fender Mexi-Tele

I just took the blind test and I chose the first two strings, the Martin SP Bronze and Phosphor Bronze sets, the PB having better clarity and immediacy of response but the bronze having a slightly understated balance that I appreciate a lot.  Thank you for the link!  I can't wait to try out my spare set of Martin SP Bronze Lights!    :nanadance
2008 Larrivee LV-10E "Faith"
1997 Yamaha FGX-412C
1980 Epi A-12

Quote from: Matteo on March 04, 2008, 03:37:00 AM
My D-09 ( :nice guitar:) is equipped with Dogal Roundcore RC148, handmade Italian strings (from Venice).
They sound GREAT and keep their sound for a very long time!!!
Matteo,
which gauges are available ?  I live in Vicenza and I did not know these strings. Are they easy to find in shops around here ?
Larrivée OOO40-MT (2018)
Gibson Advanced Jumbo (1997)
Taylor AD17E Blacktop

I love the smell of Spruce in the morning

Quote from: Braxton on March 08, 2008, 02:29:37 AM
Matteo,
which gauges are available ?  I live in Vicenza and I did not know these strings. Are they easy to find in shops around here ?

Hey, we're not far! I live on the Lake of Garda (Lombardy side), about 150 km from Vicenza!
I got these strings from a friend of mine who is a luthier and knows the owner of Dogal. He usually buys them directly from him, so I've never had the trouble of looking for a shop selling them... Anyway you can find all the available gauges on

http://www.dogalstrings.it/pages/news.htm

On the same website

http://www.dogalstrings.it

there's a form for receiving info about Dogal.

I'm not sure, but I think they're not that easy to find in shops, particularly acoustic/folk guitar strings (Dogal is famous mainly for classical guitar strings and even more for bow instruments strings)... and they are quite expensive - about 13-15 euros/set - but they do have an amazing sound and are very long lasting: I installed them on my D-09 more than 2 months ago and they're still working and sounding like they did the first day.

Enjoy Italy!
Matteo
1988 Yamaha FG445
2004 Crafter TB-Bubinga
2007 Larrivèe D-09E

Quote from: Matteo on March 10, 2008, 08:54:30 AM
Hey, we're not far! I live on the Lake of Garda (Lombardy side), about 150 km from Vicenza!
Nice place, I used to come there to windsurf......
Thanks for the infos, I'll write them asking if there are shops in Vicenza selling their products.

Nice to know there are other Italians in the forum !!!
Larrivée OOO40-MT (2018)
Gibson Advanced Jumbo (1997)
Taylor AD17E Blacktop

I love the smell of Spruce in the morning

Update: I put the DR Zebras on my OM-03 last weekend. I took them off yesterday. I have never had a set of strings go so dead so quickly. I never got to hear them with the pickup. Oh well, I just put on some newtones to make up for my mistake.

Quote from: AtlasHeating on March 12, 2008, 10:04:31 AM
Update: I put the DR Zebras on my OM-03 last weekend. I took them off yesterday. I have never had a set of strings go so dead so quickly. I never got to hear them with the pickup. Oh well, I just put on some newtones to make up for my mistake.

Interesting...I have not heard of the Zebras, probably because I have not looked for them, but I have tried the DR Sunbeams and am impressed. I have them on a Seagull Mini-Jumbo and the have good boom. I was looking for a string with volume when I was recommended these ($6).

Thanks for the info.
Be Prepared...