Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cocobolo/Sinker Redwood Build  (Read 1186 times)
greggg

Ignore
« on: February 10, 2008, 03:58:58 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I've been working on a guitar with some new features, thought I'd share some pics with you. This guitar is going to be a 000-13 fretter with Cocobolo B&S (with double side construction)and Sinker Redwood top, cocobolo fretboard and bridge, cocobolo headplate veneers front and back, cocobolo rosette, flamed koa binding, 5 piece neck...cocobolo/ebony/mahogany with carbon fiber runners for stiffness and support for the cantilevered fretboard extension, and an adjustable neck joint (you can see the hardware in the neck block, these set screws will allow adjustment of the neck)...and more! As you can see in the pics this guitar will have carbon fiber buttress braces from the neck & tail block to blocks at the waist. This allows me to brace the top plate lighter toward the upper bout with the added benefit of tonal response in that area. With this in mind I will build this guitar with a cantilevered fretboard extension which will not touch the top , further enabling the top to vibrate in the upper bout area. I've already got the box glued up and I can tell you without question that bracing the upper bout for sound production does work.....tap the top with no pressure on the upper bout, then put a hand on the area where a fretboard extension would go and tap again, wow, what a difference, I'm very excited about this guitar, it is loud and resonant right now just tapping on the top. Lot's of changes, but I believe this will improve the tonal response of my guitars and that's really what I'm searching for.

Cheers,
Greg
walt33

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 06:45:27 PM »

nice guitar Impressive engineering! Beautiful cocobolo, too, one of the prettiest woods out there. Looks kinda shiny on the inside; is that the raw wood?

Walt33

OM-03 spruce 'n' hog
blued03r

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 07:15:11 PM »

Wow!  You do realize though, now that you've told us so much about such an intriguing and beautiful guitar, you have a, "moral obligation" to actively include us in all updates to "said guitar",  until completion!   Cocobolo....Who needs, Brazilian?  

Be Well!

Larrivee D-09
Washburn D-10S
Framus Classical Archback
Fender Jazz and P-Basses

"Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?" (Eric Idle)
Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero)
Braxton

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »

She is so beautiful !!!    nice guitar   
I'd like to see other pictures of next building stages ! 

Sandro

Recording King RNJ-25 (2011)
Bruno Barnes Italian Spruce & Maple (2010)
Martin OM-21 Special (2006)
Classic Di Giorgio Student 18 (1975)    

I love the smell of Italian Spruce in the morning
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 08:16:11 PM »

As you can see in the pics this guitar will have carbon fiber buttress braces from the neck & tail block to blocks at the waist. This allows me to brace the top plate lighter toward the upper bout with the added benefit of tonal response in that area.

How do the c.f. braces work, by keeping the body from rolling forward?

greggg

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 11:02:07 PM »

Impressive engineering! Beautiful cocobolo, too, one of the prettiest woods out there. Looks kinda shiny on the inside; is that the raw wood?

Yeah, I just borrowed the technology from some other "smart" guys. With a flash on the camera, and a fresh coat of shellac on the interior, it does look shiny, I've done the shellac thing before and liked it, but cocobolo is so oily that the shellac takes on different levels of sheen, I don't know what to think about it..... but it looks better with a lid on it.

Wow!  You do realize though, now that you've told us so much about such an intriguing and beautiful guitar, you have a, "moral obligation" to actively include us in all updates to "said guitar",  until completion!   Cocobolo....Who needs, Brazilian?   

Yeah, I know, I'll keep you guys in the loop, more pics to come.

How do the c.f. braces work, by keeping the body from rolling forward?

Forward or inward, yes......If you can imagine the pull of the strings, these forces are slowly trying to fold the guitar inward....mostly from the bridge to the neck block area, though you can also imagine the stress behind the bridge as well, this is why I ran CF braces here as well. As you run the carbon fiber braces from the neck and tail block to the waist area you are diminishing the stresses that typically affect this area of a guitar. It is amazing how stiff this rim set is, you can not budge it, it is strong, and it seems to reason that this will enable the top plate to function more effectively as the movement of the sides are greatly reduced (think drum here). I'm also going to run CF from side to side(at the waist) on my next guitar, as I noticed just a slight hint of flex in this area. I also made some changes to the dome, or radius of the top and back plates on this guitar, should be an interesting one!

Cheers To All,
Greg
greggg

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 02:09:35 AM »

Here are some pics of the top/back/rosette

Cheers,
Greg
inspector13

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 02:36:47 AM »

Greg, this looks like it will be another interesting build thread.  I always enjoy your threads. Thanks!

2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 01:05:12 PM »

Greg always builds using some of the nicest woods I've ever seen.  The blackwood Mark Kunkel had made, the Honduran RW I worked with Greg on, and now this..cocobolo to die for!!!  Unreal!  And sinker redwood?  Should be fun to see this one come together.  I hope you get some soundclips made with this one too Greg!!!

greggg

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 05:41:14 PM »

Hi Denis, appreciate the kind words, I see the 00 is treating you nicely, congrats!

I will definitely have sound clips made of this guitar, it will most likely be quite different sounding than the others, I'm building it with primarily fingerstyle playing in mind(lots of different design characteristics). It's got a tremendous tap-tone to it right now, I mean this one is loud, resonant & alive......I dare say more vibrant than anything I've built to date(at least to my ear at this stage of construction).....this is so much fun for me, I can't wait to string it up!

Cheers,
Greg
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 07:03:40 PM »

Excellent Greg.  I love the way you always strive to make a good thing even better!  Good luck and hopefully, one day, we'll together again on something special.

greggg

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 12:38:19 AM »

Hey Denis, yeah, one of my weaknesses....I can't leave well enough alone wacko

Cheers,
Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: