Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Favourite PICKS  (Read 2667 times)
NewStrings

Ignore
« on: February 07, 2008, 10:27:52 PM »

I know this has been covered countless times,  but what the hay!!  It's winter and what the heck else do us Canucks have better to do!!!!

Anyway, about a month ago I was given some free sample picks (compliments of Strings and Beyond) when I orders strings and I have to say that the Planet Waves picks are the finest I have ever used.  It is like I have taken my guitar playing to whole new level.  I had been using Clayton picks in various sizes of the past 10 years and thought they were the best there was.  That was until I tried these:

I love the rubber grip, the very smooth and polish material is virtually squeak free and the seem to be more precise.  It could be all in my head, but I feel I am more precise when I pick/strum with them.

So, has anybody else had the same experience with the Planet Waves or do I have just to vivid of an imagination? 

NewStrings

Lord of the STRINGS

Collings D-1H
Goodall TROM
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gold Tone OB-250 Banjo
The Loar 520 Mandolin
knowspicker

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 06:15:35 AM »

I got some with my strings, too. I don't play with picks often but these are really nice. Mainly they are heavy gauge. The rubber grips is nice. Overall, I think most heavy picks are pretty good.

My favorite picks are my thumb and index, middle, ring finger 
PaulR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 08:38:11 AM »

I don't use a pick much but my favorite is the Jim Dunlop Nylon Jazz III. They are quite thick, easy to grip and I like the sound. The planet waves ones are excellent also.

Paul

Larrivee P-05
Brook Taw
G Man

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 01:43:36 PM »

I also don't use a pick that often.  But when I do, I usually reach for my Red Bear Tradind Co. TorTis pick.  It is made from some sort of milk based protein and is supposedly as close to real tortoise shell as you can legally get.  Pricey, yes, but the tone is worth it IMHO.

2004 SD-60
2000 Martin OM-21
1973 LoPrinzi LR-15
12barBill

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 03:23:03 PM »

Are those the "surepick"? What gauges do they come in?
bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 03:41:57 PM »

I just got one of those from Strings and Beyond with a string order. I really like them.

I think it great that the folks at Strings and Beyond throw in a few different types of picks with your string order, it lets you try out a wide variety of picks.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 03:43:35 PM »

I also really like the new extra heavy picks from Larrivee, I got a couple with my L-05MT and they feel and play real well.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
christopherbranch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 06:15:41 PM »

i use Brain picks, made by snarling dogs company. they have the cat tongue grip. i use the 1.00 gauge. love 'em

"All people dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind wake in the day to find that it was vanity.But the dreamer of the day are dangerous people. For they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
blued03r

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 06:26:44 PM »

Dunlop Ultex 1.00mm--They last forever.  I typically lose them before they wear out!   whistling

Larrivee D-09
Washburn D-10S
Framus Classical Archback
Fender Jazz and P-Basses

"Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?" (Eric Idle)
Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero)
guitaradoptions
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 06:45:09 PM »

Dunlop ULTEX .73

Nort

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 07:49:30 PM »

My old favorite is a Dunlop Delrin .84 (dark brown) I have one left, they had a nice bevel around the edges, I use the rounded corner
or side of the pick.
My new favorites are the Dunlop Ultra 1.0 and the Wegen Bluegrass 1.0 with the holes in the pick, with both I bevel the edges, still
using the rounded corner, the Ultra gives a little brighter crisp tone, the Wegen produces a fatter/rounder mellow tone.
So I switch between the two depending on the guitar I'm playing.

Thumbpicks: My favorite is the Fred Kelly White Slick Pick, I shorten the tip and dress a larger radius on the end, as well as bevel the
edge all around, it seems to help produce a more natural tone and eliminate some click or scratching sounds.

That's my 2 cents worth gotpics?

My wife says I can buy, sell swap guitars and cars as much as I want...
as long as I don't start swapping wives... sounds like a good deal to me.
markyboy

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 08:26:16 PM »

I always have used the standard plastic thins. Then last year when my mom in law's tenant moved out, they left a big bag of assorted Wedgies. I think the tenant either works for them The assortment must have been a few everyone they make. Anyway the all play great in their own way from thick to thin. The ones I've really got to like are the ones below (.73mm)

http://www.wedgie.com/cgi-bin/ccp5/cp-app.cgi?usr=50X2378843&rnd=3807609&rrc=N&cip=152.135.235.188&pg=ste_detail_clear

2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 08:38:57 PM »

I also don't use a pick that often.  But when I do, I usually reach for my Red Bear Tradind Co. TorTis pick.  It is made from some sort of milk based protein and is supposedly as close to real tortoise shell as you can legally get.  Pricey, yes, but the tone is worth it IMHO.

I just picked one up today(Classic shape, heavy, regular bevel), I think it's going to be my favorite pick. Once I got warmed up to it, I noticed it feels like I don't have to work as hard to get the volume, so it seems to play easier and faster. The tone seems livelier and more crisp too, kinda in the same way as changing from a tusq to a bone saddle sounds. But the 1.14mm Fender Delrin and Dunlop Ultex are still good picks.

Oh and with the Tortis there is no need for any holes or texture to increase grip (the Ultex's are almost just as good in this regard). With the Delrin picks I just use my pocket knife to make my own textured grip suface sometimes.

greene32

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 11:46:57 PM »

I have a real problem with picks slipping between my fingers. 

Before the ones shown below, I experimented with drilling 4-5 holes in whatever picks I had.  Also try roughing the fat part of the pick up with 60-grit.  I do that with all my picks now.  Makes a great texture for gripping.
These are good, I use orange and yellow.

NewStrings

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 12:42:05 AM »

Yes 12barBill , they are the Suregrip picks.   As for size, as far as I can tell, they only come in thin and medium.  If I had to guess on what that would equate to in mm's, I would say the thin would be approx. .52mm and the mediums are .80mm

I have ordered a few other varieties from Picks Galore (same owners as Strings and Beyond) to try as well.  I tried the Dunlop Gator Grip picks and they are nice too.... just that surface is a textured finish and find you get a string scraping sound when you strum. 

I do like the Everly as well... but it they seem to take a little while to get use to the star hole in the middle.  The Planet Waves give you the grip you need without the strange feeling.

Anyway, I am happy to have so many choices and glad I found the Suregrip picks.   

NewStrings

Lord of the STRINGS

Collings D-1H
Goodall TROM
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Gibson J-45 Standard
Gold Tone OB-250 Banjo
The Loar 520 Mandolin
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 04:02:21 AM »

I've been trying some new picks recently called Cool Picks. They have several options. My first experience was their Juratex picks with a sanded grip. Nice, but after a while the sanded grip started rubbing off due to sweaty hands. So, I tried the composite picks with the rubberized grip called the Ultra Cool. Nice, and I still use them, but the action isn't the same as the celluloid picks I have used forever. So, I picked up some Cool Cell, which is the standard celluloid material with a bonded rubber gripping surface. The jury is still out, but the Cool Cell is probably my favorite right now.

http://www.coolmusicinc.com/picks.htm

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
brandon
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 04:44:58 AM »

cant go wrong with the everly star picks or the cool picks.

in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60
Bltprf502

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 12:03:23 AM »

I use the Everly star picks in the summer as I sweat pretty bad and have a hard time keeping hold of the pick.  I usually buy several Cool picks as they make great picks of any sort.  The graphite are my faves.  I also really like Tortis and carry one on a key chain wherever I go along with a cool pick and an Everly Star.  I bought several picks before I decided on these.  Personal pref I guess....

A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?
rrgguitarman

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 12:56:14 AM »

Dunlop ULTEX .73

My favorite.
blued03r

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2008, 01:06:27 AM »

Back when I was 16, these were my favorite!!  Can anyone else relate?

[attachment no longer available]

Larrivee D-09
Washburn D-10S
Framus Classical Archback
Fender Jazz and P-Basses

"Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?" (Eric Idle)
Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: