LR Baggs iMix No-Cut version for my C-10BZ Larrivée 30th Anniversary Model ?

Started by ST, February 07, 2008, 02:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thinking about installing an LR Baggs iMix No-Cut version***  in my C-10BZ Larrivée 30th Anniversary Model.

-= click  to see more =-

I don't take this Guitar out much because although is sounds fantastic with an AKG C451E microphone, it's a little awkward to get that set up and to work with live.

I would be taking the Guitar to Vancouver to have the work done at the Larrivee shop and this is what Luke at Larrivee suggested.

I've read through several (fairly old) threads about the iMix and except for some problems awhile back with the preamp failing, people seem pretty happy.

I was wondering if folks here have any suggestions or insights.

Thank you.

QuoteL.R. Baggs iMix System (No-Cut Version)

The iMix system is a dual source preamp / pickup system that does not require cutting a hole on the side of your guitar. The preamp adheres via Velcro to the inside back of the guitar. This preamp utilizes the L.R. Baggs under saddle transducer (Called the 'Element') and an Acoustic Soundboard Transducer (The iBeam). There are five controls along the right exterior of the preamp: iBeam gain, iBeam low cut, iBeam mid cut, Element mid cut and stereo/mono. There is a "Remote Control" which is placed on the bass side sound hole. This remote control has two knobs: one for blending the dual sources, and one for volume. The Stereo/Mono Control determines whether the output is summed to one mono channel or split into two signals. Stereo mode requires the use of a standard stereo cable or stereo Y cable - this mode puts the Element on the tip channel and the iBeam on the ring channel. If you use a mono cable in stereo mode, only the Element will be present. This setting is useful for recording each pickup independently, creating separate blends for two different sets of speakers (for example, the house speakers and stage monitors), or applying different effects to each channel.

from the Larrivee site

I have an Imix in my C-09Walnut. It is a very good pickup if you're going to put one in.
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I've got a no-cut iMix in my LV-10MR.... love it.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Thanks for the input everybody.

Do you think there will be impact on resale value if I pull the trigger and do this?
It would be installed by the people at the Larrivee shop in Vancouver.

This is not a huge concern to me as I got it ten years ago to play it, not "collect" or resell. But I'm still curious to know your thoughts. Thanks!

There will be less impact on a no-cut version than a barn door version for sure. For collector status, you are modifying it. A "purist" might want a completely stock configuration. However, I wouldn't look at it better or worse either way. But, that's just me...
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

I took it in to the Larrivee shop in Vancouver today. Very nice folks and three dogs welcomed me. Can't wait for the call that it is ready for pickup.

Picked up the C 10BZ with the new iMix No Cut installed and proceeded to a gig. Actually  I was several hours early so I just got set up and got to know the Guitar and the iMix. I play through a Bose L1® Model II (the new one) with the T1 ToneMatch® Audio Engine. For any of you who know this gear, I downloaded and installed the LR Baggs ToneMatch® Presets into my T1®  just before I headed out the door. It was very simple to find a sound with this combination of gear that sounded great.

During the gig a very busy local musician dropped in and enjoyed a great meal and the music (so he told me). He was really impressed with how natural the Guitar sounded. He made a point of telling me so.

My main Guitar for acoustic gigs for the past ten years has been a Morgan with a Florentine Cutaway, curly maple back and sides. I do a lot of acoustic lead work and this has always allowed me to cut through the mix with a Fishman Acoustic Matrix Under Saddle Transducer. About a year ago I added David Enke's PUTW Quackbuster. This has been working extremely well for me.

Compared to the Morgan, the Larrivée C 10 BZ is about the same size and shape, the neck is just a little narrower and seems to have a narrower radius. The Morgan radius is almost flat and I have it set for really low action and almost no relief. I am a finger style player and this Morgan has been terrific for giving me the room I need to work.

The lovely Larrivée has seen very little play time over the ten years that I've had it because I  rehearse with the same instruments and gear as I use when performing. Since there was no pickup in the Larrivée I wasn't playing it out and I wasn't playing it much at all.

The net result was I needed a little time to get used to the Larrivée and the new strings they put on at the Larrivée factory when they installed the iMix. I guess these are Cleartones.

I normally play John Pearse strings on my acoustics and really like them. The new strings seemed a little noisy. Squeaky by comparison. On the way to the gig I picked up some Elixer 20/80s  to try when I take the Cleartones off.

Anyway, after a couple of hours of playing and listening, a three hour gig, and some comments from players who happened by...
The iMix was a good choice. I think that I am going to be very happy with the Guitar and the iMix. I will have to get used to changing between the I-Beam and the Element pickups on the fly.  I may switch over to stereo mode and manage the pickups independently in the T1®.

The Guitar sounds phenomenal (except for the squeaky strings). I'll have to see how that works out.

THANK YOU to everyone who was written about the iMix, both in this thread and others. Your comments and the nice people at Larrivée Vancouver (and Luke at Larrivée) have helped me to get to a very happy place with this Guitar.

:cheers

You've got a winner.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I'm also having a no cut iMix installed on my Larrivee J19. In fact I hope to be picking it up tomorrow. If all goes well, I will also have one installed on my HDCM to replace the Baggs Double Barrel. I just recently had a K&K PowerMix Pure Mini System installed on my Gibson...have only had it back for about 8 days, very sweet system.  :nana_guitar
1989 Gibson J100 Xtra
1995 Larrivee J19 Jumbo
2001 Huss & Dalton CM Cutaway
2003 Gibson F9 mandolin
2005 Jay Turser LP copy
Raven Labs PMB II
Baggs PADI
Zoom A2.1u
Curious of the sounds from the new Larrivee RS4

I just had a I-mix inboard (no-cut in Larrivee speak) put in my new C10 (Happily purchased here from Randy R) and it is phenomenal!!!  I was so pleased with the sound, and so were a number of others who are used to hearing my L03R with the B-Band UST that sounds like I am playing a guitar strung with rubber bands.  I will be putting an I-mix in that guitar ASAP.  What a huge increase in acoustic realism when comparing those two.

I am a double happy camper.  That C10 is a dream come true, and the i-mix is icing on the cake.
** 2004 Larrivee L-03R **
** 1989 Larrivee C10 **