Pic Of Noticeable Fretboard Extension Fallaway On My L-03R

Started by Dru, February 01, 2008, 02:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Have you seen an L-03 with this much fallaway ? I'm assuming that this must be due to the design of a flat rather than radiused shoulder brace being used by Larrivee.  Aesthetically I would've liked zero fallaway. 

Circa 1940's Square Neck Resonator
Larrivee L-03R
Martin HD-28VS
American Series Strat
Howard Roberts Fusion III Gibson

That's peculiar!  My D-35 looked like that after it got a neck reset.

Dru, is that a new guitar or one that you have had, and is the soundhole area sunken in?

RB

Could it be dehydration, Dru?  Has it been in a humidity controlled environment?
2005 Larrivée  LV-03
2010 Larrivée  00-03 Forum IV
2011 Larrivée  RS-04
2013 Larrivée  D-40

Quote from: jankymutt on February 01, 2008, 07:47:10 AM
Could it be dehydration, Dru?  Has it been in a humidity controlled environment?
Ditto, That don't look right. Is there a hump over block?
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on February 01, 2008, 08:08:00 AM
Ditto, That don't look right. Is there a hump over block?
Quote from: jankymutt on February 01, 2008, 07:47:10 AM

Agreed.
Larrivee D-09
Washburn D-10S
Framus Classical Archback
Fender Jazz and P-Basses

"Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?" (Eric Idle)
Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero)

Yup! Somethin' ain't right with that neck.
Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.

My OM 03 has some fallaway...but not the same degree as your guitar...

Looks to me like the frets over body are lifting as well, those are gaps aren't they? A sign that something has changed.

I've posted several times that the Larry's that I have seen all had some gaps between the frets and the fretboard (including mine). This picture shows what I mean. I think the frets are just fine like this. They are not pressed all the way in there slots and they don't have to. My OM 03 isn't that much different from your L 03. Although that fallaway looks a bit too much.

:coffee :donut :donut2

Hmmm. I guess in that case you'd have to know what they were like B4, But from what I can tell, it's looks like they are only lifting, or not seated properly in the first place, over body. I'd seen discussions about frets before but on my new 000-60, the frets we're done well across fingerboard and on ends.

Quote from: Sober on February 01, 2008, 09:25:46 AM
I've posted several times that the Larry's that I have seen all had some gaps between the frets and the fretboard (including mine). This picture shows what I mean. I think the frets are just fine like this. They are not pressed all the way in there slots and they don't have to.

I don't think it's fine. Improperly seated frets can cause dead spots just like an improperly seated saddle causes a loss in tone. A fret should be making solid contact just like the saddle should, you can hear the dead spots sometimes by tapping on the frets with something metal. However, mine may have the best factory fretwork of any Larrivee.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on February 01, 2008, 09:56:01 AM
I don't think it's fine. Improperly seated frets can cause dead spots just like an improperly seated saddle causes a loss in tone. A fret should be making solid contact just like the saddle should, you can hear the dead spots sometimes by tapping on the frets with something metal. However, mine may have the best factory fretwork of any Larrivee.

I've owned 3 Larrivees (all bought new from an authorized dealer) and all 3 required some degree of fretwork (mostly minor smoothing) off the shelf.

Ken

As others have said, it looks like dehydration. As far as the fret ends having gaps, if the gap is on the fretboard then I would say they are not seated right, if it's just the end over the binding then it might not have been trimmed right. Also if the ends were not trimmed properly that in itself might be what is causing the fret to sit up.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

QuoteI don't think it's fine. Improperly seated frets can cause dead spots just like an improperly seated saddle causes a loss in tone. A fret should be making solid contact just like the saddle should, you can hear the dead spots sometimes by tapping on the frets with something metal.

I guess your right, but mine OM 03 plays great and has a good sustain. It feels like some tones sing forever. In other words the guitar theoretically is not fine, but it plays how I want it to play.

So, my question: is it necessary to repair?

Pfff...It's hard to express myself in English...

:cheers

Hey Dru,

Seems to me you were having problem Down Under with to much humidity.  Now it looks like your guitar is very dry and the top is sinking.  Are you watching the humidity in the case or is your area in a dry spell?  Isn't it Summer down there?

Take a look at these articles and check your humidity with a hygrometer, ASAP!  Note the picture in the Larrivee article looks just like your guitar.

http://www.larrivee.com/5_features/educationEssays/humidityWood_essay.html

http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/pdfs/greatest_hits.pdf

I agree, it looks like lack of humidity. My OM-03 looked like that right after I got it, until I put a humidifier in the case.
Walt33

OM-03 spruce 'n' hog

To me there is a problem it's just a matter of degree and if you think it's worth it.
But lets not confuse this with original posters problem. He needs to get that humidified before the fingerboard lifts up, braces loose up whatever. Hopefully just rehumidifying will fix.

Guys, thanks for the thoughts so far on this "unique" fretboard extension. Just to give you some background, I live on the coast of sub-tropical NSW Australia [ check profile ] at about the same latitude as Tampa FL. Relative humidity here never drops below 55% in winter and over the last few weeks it's been running between 75% to 85% in the mornings up to 95% to 99% in the afternoons.

So this guitar isn't suffering from low humidity. I've owned it from new [ 2003 ] and during that time I've regulated the RH inside the case with 200g of silica beads [ refreshable laboratory grade ] to keep it between 45% to 55% RH as measured by a good quality hygrometer. That figure is the lowest I can get to.

The frets aren't lifting. What may be happening in the pic above is a shadow line, created by the fact that the frets on this side of the f/board extension haven't been dressed back to the binding. I wouldn't expect a production guitar to have its frets perfectly detailed in this area.

I have more pics coming up to post today [ my time ] that may give some more ideas on the issue. I must say that this is an easily playable, blanced sounding guitar with no intonation problems. Its just got a kink in its tail.

More later ~ Thanks Dru. 
Circa 1940's Square Neck Resonator
Larrivee L-03R
Martin HD-28VS
American Series Strat
Howard Roberts Fusion III Gibson