Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm Crackin' Up  (Read 717 times)
stubby

Ignore
« on: February 06, 2008, 12:06:50 AM »

This is depressing. As I was playing my L-03R last night, I discovered an emerging soundboard crack emanating from the bridge down the lower bout. It's about 2 inches long, and close to the seam. I know this sounds like a classic dehydration crack. but here's the thing: This guitar is ALWAYS kept in it's case in a humidity controlled room. Daily checks show the room at 45 to 50 RH. There are no other indicators of dehydration, and the five other guitars in the room are in great shape. The guitar hasn't left my house since last summer, and hasn't been exposed to any sudden environmental changes. The only time it's out of this room is when I play it in my (not humidity controlled) den, typically a couple of 2 hour sessions a week. I have not banged anything with this guitar. I've been racking my brain trying to figure this out, but I'm not getting it. I'm sure if I contacted Larrivee,  they'd be pretty skeptical that it wasn't a humidity issue.  I'm not sure what to do - has anyone else encountered this? Any guesses as to what might have caused this?  Would it help if I took it to a local tech for independent confirmation that the guitar is properly hydrated? Does this need IMMEDIATE attention? Advice, please!!!
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 10:29:31 AM »

Larrivee will probably ask you to send it to them to evaluate, but I'd discuss on phone anyway ahead of time. If it were me I'd take it to a tech just to look at and evaluate, then call Larrivee with perhaps some better understanding. Have him check bracing and anything else he knows of. Yes it should be checked out soon and see if cause can be determined and crack repaired before it gets worse. If cause determined and remedy found, it's not the end of the world if your main concern is sound and duribility. A repaired crack will be as strong as wood. If your room is at a good humidity level, and you don't dangerous creatures around, it might not be a bad idea to leave guitar out of case at times, and leave case open where it can equalize to room.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
inspector13

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 01:33:18 PM »

It wasn't hanging on an exterior wall by any chance, was it? I have read that this can cause some problems.

2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 01:36:17 PM »

stubby, I feel your pain, man.
Lay a straight-edge across the guitar perpendicular to the grain between the bridge & the soundhole. (yes, you'll have to remove the strings to do this, but if you want to save them, just loosen them & then capo @ the 9th fret before you pull the bridge pins). If the soundboard (top) is flat across the guitar from side to side, then i think you probably have some evidence you seek to support your claim that it is not a humidity problem. If the top sinks in the center, well then this would indicate a dried out guitar.
Good luck.
stubby

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 11:14:44 PM »

Thanks for the advice, gents. Queequeg, I'll try that straightedge test later tonight, but I'd be very surprised if it proved to be dried out. Inspector 13, to answer your question, this guitar has never hung on a wall.  This morning I called the closest Larrivee dealer to me. They'll take a look at it when their tech comes back from vacation, and I'll take it from there. As bummed out as I was yesterday, I'm putting this into perspective - it's just a guitar and it's just a crack. Whether it's covered on warranty or not, I'll just get it repaired. I likely won't ever sell this guitar, so I'm not overly concerned with cosmetics as long as it's stabilized. No biggie - it'll still be a great guitar. I'm just flummoxed because mt own paranoia around dehydration has made me very anal around ensuring my guitars are always properly humidified, and then ending with what looks like a classic dehydration crack in spite of my efforts. At the same time, I've got friends who never humidify under any circumstances, and never seem to have any issues. Can't take the irony in all this.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: