Would you buy an L-03R w/pyramid bridge?

Started by didymus21, January 28, 2008, 05:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

It'd look a little something like this.....only not slanted like that.  I failed to notice it before combining the frames.  Imagine it without the pickguard, too, cause that'd be coming off.

Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Custom Built Orchestra Model

Previously Owned:
Larrivee L-10 Special Edition, 2002
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

I ask because I'll be getting an L-03R pretty soon and I'm a sucker for making things a little unique.  It'd totally screw with my warranty though.  :arrow
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

Quote from: bluesman67 on January 28, 2008, 07:05:11 PM
...looks good to me.  :thumb

You're just saying that cause I found you a spot for really cheap D'Addarios!
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

why not?  like the look.  is there a reason performance would be compromised?

jeff
Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)

I can't think of any reason why it would be.  It'd be easy to do as well.  A little labor intensive, but very doable.  My dream Larrivee would be an L or LS with a slotted headstock and a pyramid bridge.
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

you'd probably have tan lines. are Larrivee's bridges glued over the finish? You might need to refinish the top?

Quote from: jeremy3220 on January 28, 2008, 10:13:38 PM
you'd probably have tan lines. are Larrivee's bridges glued over the finish? You might need to refinish the top?

No. Link to process.............

http://www.larrivee.com/5_features/onlineTour/onlineTour7.html
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: sayheyjeff on January 28, 2008, 09:43:59 PM
why not?  like the look.  is there a reason performance would be compromised?

jeff

Yes. The gluing surface area is smaller for a pyramid bridge. Most guitars with pyramid bridges won't handle medium string tension.
Ron

Quote from: ronmac on January 29, 2008, 12:56:56 PM
Yes. The gluing surface area is smaller for a pyramid bridge. Most guitars with pyramid bridges won't handle medium string tension.
Does that have to do with bridge or guitar it happens to be on?  If it works on 000-60 which is set up for medium strings, then I guess it might not work on one that has more tension because of smaller glue area?
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

The 000-60 is a 12 fret model, so it has lower string tension as a result. I should have qualified my comment. If Larrivee says it's OK for mediums I would feel good about it.

When I purchased my OM-03R SH (pyramid bridge and small bridge plate) from Dave Wren he advised me not to use medium strings (it came with lights). I ended up using True Mediums and tuned down to DADGAD for that guitar, and it it never suffered from it.

Ron

I'd be concerned about doing that kind of mod to a nice guitar...

...but, I'm trying to understand a couple things:

One, why the smaller bridge won't handle medium strings?  The strings pass THROUGH the bridge and go under the top, where, it seems to me, that it's the braces that must do the work of supporting the top more so than the bridge.

Two, what difference does it make whether a guitar is a 12 fret neck or 14 fret neck for string tension?  Isn't string tension related to scale length more than anything else?  Or is the body joint (12th versus 14th fret) a minor factor as well?  I've never heard this before (been playing for over 35 years).

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 29, 2008, 02:19:44 PM

One, why the smaller bridge won't handle medium strings?  The strings pass THROUGH the bridge and go under the top, where, it seems to me, that it's the braces that must do the work of supporting the top more so than the bridge.

Two, what difference does it make whether a guitar is a 12 fret neck or 14 fret neck for string tension?  Isn't string tension related to scale length more than anything else?  Or is the body joint (12th versus 14th fret) a minor factor as well?  I've never heard this before (been playing for over 35 years).

You're right the 000-60 is long scale so there won't be less string tension. It's not that the pyramid brdige won't handle mediums but that might cause more bellying however Larrivee's are built so hearty I doubt it will matter. The bridge isn't supporting the top it's actually acting as an antagonist pulling against it. With a larger bridge the same force is displaced over a greater area of support so you are less likely to have a condition where the bridge rolls forward. Since the gluing area is smaller you'll probably have to refinish the entire top, I don't think the poly will blend well (could be wrong). I don't think any modern Larrivee's are bellying under normal conditions so a smaller bridge shouldn't make a difference, it would be a different story if we were talking about a lightly braced guitar.

I have an O & SD with pyramid bridge, it is a classic look, I don't blieve it has any impact on the sound.
BTW, both are strung with mediums.

I do have a thought though. Fabricate two pyramids from the same wood as the bridge and glue them to the bridge.
No bridge or finish issues and you get the look you want.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 29, 2008, 02:19:44 PM

Again, I spoke without checking all of the facts... :blush:

You are right, it is string length, guage and pitch that determine the string tension. I assumed, incorrectly, that the 12 fret 000 model was also a shorter scale. My apologies for the confusion.

The bridge plate under the top supports some of the string tension.

The size of the bridge, along with the bracing, determines the counter force in keeping the top from bellying.

The bridge is also subjected to a tremendous force from the strings pushing through the saddle on its way to the nut and tuners. This force is sufficient to lift the bridge off the soundboard surface if a) the glue contact area is too small or, b) the glue is not of good quality, or improperly applied.
Ron

"The bridge plate under the top supports some of the string tension."
"The size of the bridge, along with the bracing, determines the counter force in keeping the top from bellying"
Yea I'd be careful, I think I'd go with the bridge Larrivee designed for it unless you're sure.
As far as the 000-60 I'll admit my ignorance as well about 12 frets until I started getting intersted in getting one. The body is longer stretching up to the 12th fret. Giving it a longer if narrower chamber and hence it unique sound.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on January 28, 2008, 10:13:38 PM

There wouldn't be any tan lines because I would fashion the pyramid bridge myself and make it the same L/W as the stock bridge.  I can't speak for all Larrivee guitars, but the one I recently glued the bridge back on had the bridge gluing over some finish.  It appeared they shaved off the finish up to about 2mm from the edges of the bridge.  So, about 98% of the bridge gluing surface was wood to wood.  I think they cut it a little smaller than the bridge so that it gives a cleaner look.
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978

Previously Owned:
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

Quote from: didymus21 on January 29, 2008, 06:04:48 PM
There wouldn't be any tan lines because I would fashion the pyramid bridge myself and make it the same L/W as the stock bridge.  I can't speak for all Larrivee guitars, but the one I recently glued the bridge back on had the bridge gluing over some finish.  It appeared they shaved off the finish up to about 2mm from the edges of the bridge.  So, about 98% of the bridge gluing surface was wood to wood.  I think they cut it a little smaller than the bridge so that it gives a cleaner look.
Well if it's the same length and width I suppose that would do away with previous concerns. Go for that purty bridge!