Disco music
ABBA
the Carpenters
and when i was a kid...the Osmonds :blush:

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

Quote from: Dude Dad on January 31, 2008, 06:05:50 PM
*****Estaban!****** The guy rocks! He's got his own show - great back up - his own guitar design studio and factory. He tours too! I hear he's coming out with his own sunglass line and clothing line that will feature any color you want as long as it's black!

All kidding aside  (I think)  - I can't believe I'm actually going to admit this but here goes - He actually got me interested in playing guitar. There I said it! It's true! Here's my story. Five years ago, I was laid up after surgery and was watching Estaban on QVC (still groggy from the drugs I'm sure) and I thought to myself, I am going to learn how to play the guitar. Keep in mind I was 49 at the time and was feeling pretty good (dazed). Bottom line is I bought one - $80 I think - even came with a gig bag, strings and a video that in 60 minutes would teach me everything I needed to know. It came, it went - right to the local Goodwill. I'm sure it ended up frustrating a many promising young players cause it wouldn't of made good kindling. Now that I have thoroughly embarrassed myself there is more to tell about my 2nd guitar - but you won't believe it. However, it will have to wait for another time! :wave

Now that I think about it, I admit that I too am mesmerized by Esteban....(hangs head in shame)....There's rarely a time when I don't sit transfixed watching him belt out early rock tunes flamenco style on HSN.  I don't know what it is, but I do it--sometimes for hours at a time.  Oh, by the way, it could  have something to do with the fact that his daughter, who is always playing violin in the background, is HOT!!!
Larrivee D-09
Washburn D-10S
Framus Classical Archback
Fender Jazz and P-Basses

"Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?" (Eric Idle)
Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero)

The Old schnazola.... Jimmy Durante for thsoe old enough to remember the 60's. Loved seeing him on Sullivan, the Gleason show and so many more.

These songs are not exactly guilty pleasures, but they manage to pop into my head all too often:

"Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas - My little brother played this song constantly when it came out; it has been burned into my brain ever since.

"Sugar, Sugar" by the Archies - I hated it when it came out, and I hate it now. But it just won't leave me alone.

"Lemon Tree" (the Trini Lopez version) -  "But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat." Is there a stupider line in the history of pop music? Did the writer ever hear of lemonade?

"My Eyes Adored You" by Frankie Valli - The writer couldn't come up with a better line than, "But I never laid a hand than you?" Domestic violence anyone?

"Walk Like a Man" by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons - Given Frankie's falsetto singing, I always thought the proper response to the line "Walk like a man" should have been "Sing like a woman." Obviously, I'm not a big Frankie Valli fan.

But my true guilty pleasure is the Queen of Disco, Donna Summer. I was never a fan of disco, but I sure liked Donna!

I like some of Amy Winehouse's songs. I don't feel guilty about it but I guess she falls in with the mass marketed pop garbage they sell young people.

OK, now that I'm up to date on this thread, I have become painfully aware that much of what I like is a guilt pleasure!  Especially The J. Geils Band!! :thumb
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: dollarbill007 on February 18, 2008, 11:14:05 PM

But my true guilty pleasure is the Queen of Disco, Donna Summer. I was never a fan of disco, but I sure liked Donna!

Surely you have to include the Bee Gees?
If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: bearsville0 on February 19, 2008, 06:06:17 PM
Surely you have to include the Bee Gees?

I don't consider the Bee Gees to be a guilty pleasure. I still like their late 60's material, particularly the songs Massachusetts, To Love Somebody, and I've Gotta Get a Message to You. Even the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack still sounds good today.

+1 on Enya

I also like:

Peter Gabriel
Sarah Brightman
Andrea Bocelli
John Mayer
Barry White

...and a whole bunch of others that I can't remember offhand.
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Quote from: kwakatak on February 19, 2008, 09:11:32 PM
+1 on Enya
I just picked up Enya's box set recently.  Amazing collection!  I don't normally do box sets, but I highly recommend this one. 

I do like Enya's sound too, but she has to the ultimate heard one, heard em all, artist of all time.

One thing I'm beginning to realize...there's a lot of old guys on this board. 

Some posts I take exception to:

James Taylor - Sweet Baby James !?
Bread - I still play Make It With You
Tommy James and the Shondells - Cri-i-i-mson and Clo-o-over
The Monkees - Day Dream Believer, Last Train to Clarksville - sheesh I grew up listening to that stuff
Herman's Hermits - I'm 'enery, 'enery the eighth I yam - good stuff!
Hall and Oats - Abandoned Luncheonette was classic - their later stuff was too disco (maybe that would qualify?)

Stuff I should feel guilty about?  I 'll only confess here (hiding behind my keyboard)...the Archies, the Backstreet Boys, and yes...I too get mesmerized by the man in black: Estaban.

7? NBN CT R LTD (custom concert Size) http://media.putfile.com/Pupu-HinuhinuKahuli-Aku-NBN-CT-R-Ltd
76 Martin D-35 (MIA)
58 Harmony Sovereign 1203
06 S & P Woodland Spruce 12
01 Larrivee L09  http://media.putfile.com/Manu-Kai-Larrivee-L09

I don't listen to anything that I'd actually feel embarassed or guilty to be caught listening to. How would that work? It would have to be Osama Sings The Oldies While Chopping Heads or something like that, wouldn't it? 

I don't feel guilty about, and it is a pleasure, listening to ANYTHING Norah Jones sings and plays.  Some of my friends and family don't get it and try to do the guilt trip thing.
00-05 SH, '73 Hernandez Classical, Taylor 314

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=770687

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 22, 2008, 03:45:51 PM
I don't listen to anything that I'd actually feel embarassed or guilty to be caught listening to. How would that work? It would have to be Osama Sings The Oldies While Chopping Heads or something like that, wouldn't it? 
The remastered Bootleg Box Set? PM me if you decide to sell that, Duck.

(BTW- anybody else notice there's more than a slight resemblance to Billy & Dusty?)
Coincidence? I think not.

Quote from: dollarbill007 on February 18, 2008, 11:14:05 PM
These songs are not exactly guilty pleasures, but they manage to pop into my head all too often:

"Lemon Tree" (the Trini Lopez version) -  "But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat." Is there a stupider line in the history of pop music?

yes.
Breaking Up Is Hard To Do Lyrics (Neil Sedaka)
Come a come a down doobie do down down.
hey, that's magic.  :?

Quote from: Queequeg on February 28, 2008, 10:50:56 AM
The remastered Bootleg Box Set? PM me if you decide to sell that, Duck.

You got it, Quee!  :laughin:

I wasn't sure this was a guilty pleasure, but I never listen to it when others are around, and I've never told anyone I bought it:

Boz Scaggs

I bought the Fade Into Light CD a couple of years ago and it's still on my iPod.

How about Elton John? I still love me some Tumbleweed Connection, Honky Chateau or Madman Across the Water! 

Quote from: ducktrapper on February 28, 2008, 07:06:25 PM
How about Elton John? I still love me some Tumbleweed Connection, Honky Chateau or Madman Across the Water! 

Yes, in my book, Elton John would be a guilty pleasure, not something I would readily admit to.

Also for that generation, T. REX. Used to be a guilty pleasure until I realized how cool they really were.
If it sounds good, it is good.