Who's your guilty pleasure?

Started by stubby, January 25, 2008, 04:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Novalis on January 25, 2008, 10:56:30 PM
C'mon now, ducktrapper, be honest; we know you secretly listen your old Cat Stevens records with the headphones on.
:beer
:roll

Man, this is a great thread!  I'm going to throw out a couple embarrassing ones of mine, but before I do... :roll to all the embarrassing ones already mentioned.   Here we go:

The Go-Go's

Dr. Hook
(specifically: Roland The Roady, Freaker's Ball, Cover of The Rolling Stone, Carry Me Carry, Sit Right Down)
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I'm calling it -Novalis takes top honors in the Guilty Pleasures Hall of Shame. This is a truly astounding revelation!! I don't even think Liberace himself ever publicly admitted to listening to Liberace. Novalis, I bow to your courageous candor and apparent indifference to potential public humiliation. Well done!!!

This goes back aways......

Petula Clark....great voice and some classic songs.....Dusty Springfield too...."Son of a Preacherman"  whoa...good stuff..
Herman's Hermits
Paul Revere and the Raiders

Dusty ain't no guilty pleasure!  She was great, and Dusty in Memphis is a classic.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: bluesman67 on January 29, 2008, 04:31:28 PM
:roll
The Go-Go's

I don't know who wrote their songs but they are worthy classics.
If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: DFR on January 29, 2008, 04:00:35 PM
Alright, thats it!  What do you think Stubby?  I say Novalis wins the prize.  Publicly admitting to listening to Liberace!!!

Go ahead, laugh it up!  :laughin:

Seriously, though, I bet there's quite a few folks on this forum who used to watch Liberace on the television back in the day. Sure, he could be a bit dramatic at times, but he really was a great entertainer who brought joy to millions with his music. I have a rather large record collection, and every time somebody takes a browse through the rows of records, I regularly get the business about that Liberace box set (its hard to miss seeing it on the shelf due to the bright silver box).
:rolleye:
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

Quote from: bearsville0 on January 29, 2008, 07:31:03 PM
I don't know who wrote their songs but they are worthy classics.

IIRC, the Go-Gos pretty much wrote all their own material.  Their biggest hit, "Our Lips Are Sealed", was co-written with Terry Hall (of the Specials, Fun Boy Three, Colourfield, etc.).

D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

After years of closet listening the time and the place feels right. I love "The Village People"! There. Just having it out in the open I can feel this burden being lifted off me. The "bad boys of disco" have it all. Catchy tunes, powerfull social and political lyrics, costumes to die for, and they could dance  their little butts off. I've worked out a very nice version of "Y.M.C.A." in  Hawaiian slack key. I've also arranged one of my favorites "Macho Man" in a Travis style that captures the spirit of the song and keeps it moving along nicely. I'm also working on a finger style version of that patriotic hit "In the Navy". Thanks for letting me be me and understanding. TN  :humour:

Novalis is out, TrueNorth is in.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Tycho on January 30, 2008, 07:20:47 AM
IIRC, the Go-Gos pretty much wrote all their own material.  Their biggest hit, "Our Lips Are Sealed", was co-written with Terry Hall (of the Specials, Fun Boy Three, Colourfield, etc.).

I love the version of "our lips are sealed" by Hillary Duff. Now there's a guilty pleasure. The album it's on is called "Disney Girlz Rock" and is highly recommended. Great song by Lindsay Lohan on that album: "Ultimate" from the movie Freaky Friday.

Quote from: Novalis on January 28, 2008, 10:53:16 PM
I honestly can't think of any albums that I'm shy to admit liking. Abba has been mentioned and I think they were an amazing pop band with incredible vocals and great writing/arranging. Ahhh, I think maybe there's one record in my collection that could be a guilty pleasure: "The Liberace Silver Anniversary Collection" box set (5 records and a book enclosed in a silver color box released by GRT in 1976). It's playing on the turntable as I write.

As I first read this, I think I threw up a little bit in my mouth.... :yak:

Quote from: TrueNorth on January 30, 2008, 04:20:18 PM
  After years of closet listening the time and the place feels right. I love "The Village People"! There. Just having it out in the open I can feel this burden being lifted off me. The "bad boys of disco" have it all. Catchy tunes, powerfull social and political lyrics, costumes to die for, and they could dance  their little butts off. I've worked out a very nice version of "Y.M.C.A." in  Hawaiian slack key. I've also arranged one of my favorites "Macho Man" in a Travis style that captures the spirit of the song and keeps it moving along nicely. I'm also working on a finger style version of that patriotic hit "In the Navy". Thanks for letting me be me and understanding. TN  :humour:

....After reading THIS, I'm sure I did!!!   :yak:  :yak:  :yak:    :laughin:
Larrivee D-09
Washburn D-10S
Framus Classical Archback
Fender Jazz and P-Basses

"Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?" (Eric Idle)
Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero)

Quote from: DFR on January 28, 2008, 07:48:13 PM
OK Laminateboy, I've enrolled in a 12 step program.  Will you be my sponsor?   :laughin:

Flatlander...I saw Richard Thompson last Friday night.  He's doing a tour called "1000 years of popular music".  He starts out in the year 1068 and goes up to the present, singing all kinds of stuff.  Some of it is sorta serious (remember, this IS Richard Thompson), and some of it is very tongue-in-cheek.  I was disappointed that he didn't do Britney's "Oops, I Did It Again".  He did however do a rousing version of Nelly Furtado's "Maneater".  I was  :roll

The whole show was fantastic, and highly recommended.

I saw RT on Sunday night. It was the second 1000 of Popular Music Tour I've seen. Last tour he covered Bowling for Soup's "1985". I love that song now.

Other guilty pleasures:

The Monkees... sorry
One Sarah Evans song: "Perfect" which she wrote with Tom Shapiro and Tony Martin is a piece of near perfect pop.
"Kiss Me" - Sixpence None the Richer another great bit of pop fluff
Enya - Sure it's New Age Muzak, but it can be soothing

Unguilty pleasures - things I should be ashamed of but refuse to submit to peer pressure:

Husker Du
Ten Years After
J. Geils Band
Ramones
All my early 70s progressive rock stuff

Paolo
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. "

Bil Mitchell HG 00 -  all Walnut
Everett Laurel O
Larri LV05MT
Larri LV09 Custom All Walnut
Larri LV-03RE-12
Larri J05
Larri SE Parlor Walnut
Tacoma C3C - peeling finish
Martin 000-17

Enya is nothing to feel guilty about.  She writes some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard.

I like Enya too.

But then, I did go through a period where I actually listened to a lot of "New Age" music (Ray Lynch, etc.).
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

I don't know anything about "new age" music at all, but I do know that I like Enya.

Quote. . . . For some inexplicable reason, I actually bought a LeAnn Rimes CD a few years back. Immediately after listening to it, I felt cheap and dirty. . . . Another "country" "artist" that gets my attention is Shania Twain. Once famously described as the world's highest paid lap dancer. . . .
I'm beginning to see a trend with me: Disturbingly awful music + great looking women = morbid fascination. Not only does sex sell, it'll mug you in a dark alley, and all you can do is sheepishly hand over your wallet.     
:roll :roll :roll :roll :roll  Geeeeze.  That's the best bunch of analogies I've seen in a while!  :laughin: :roll

OK.  To comprehend the gravity of the guilty pleasures I'm about to name, it would help you to know that I'm a folk music guy at heart.  Most of the stuff I know and routinely play is fingerstyle folk music: PP&M, Kingston Trio, Gordon Lightfoot, John Denver, Ian & Sylvia, Eric Anderson, Judy Collins, Garnett Rogers, Stan Rogers. . . .   

So I feel a sense of over-whelming shame in admitting that, for some inexplicable reason, I'm drawn to:
Tommy James and the Shondells (Crimson & Clover, I Think We're Alone Now....)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op-mjhGoPvY,

ABBA (Geeze, those women were pretty!! :drool:),
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHiW0bQSurg

Neil Diamond (Sweet Caroline, Cracklin' Rosie...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcP7dIzpMEc

I think I'll go to bed now.

Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

hahaha, confession corner:

Rodriguez - Cold Fact
Led Zeppelin
Leonard Cohen
Queen
The Bee Gees - Melody Soundtrack (oh dear me).

:nana_guitar

craig

Quote from: craig on January 31, 2008, 01:36:22 AM
hahaha, confession corner:

Rodriguez - Cold Fact
Led Zeppelin
Leonard Cohen
Queen
The Bee Gees - Melody Soundtrack (oh dear me).

:nana_guitar

craig

Er, so, Craig darling, what do you listen to that you don't consider a guilty plesure? Celine Dion?  :laughin:

Quote from: Tycho on January 30, 2008, 10:13:40 PM
I like Enya too.

But then, I did go through a period where I actually listened to a lot of "New Age" music (Ray Lynch, etc.).

New Age music is the one genre I can't handle. Stresses me out man. Makes me reach for my early Public Enemy CDs "Apocalypse 91...The Enemy Strikes Black" Now that album relieves me of any and all guilt about my pleasures.

*****Estaban!****** The guy rocks! He's got his own show - great back up - his own guitar design studio and factory. He tours too! I hear he's coming out with his own sunglass line and clothing line that will feature any color you want as long as it's black!

All kidding aside  (I think)  - I can't believe I'm actually going to admit this but here goes - He actually got me interested in playing guitar. There I said it! It's true! Here's my story. Five years ago, I was laid up after surgery and was watching Estaban on QVC (still groggy from the drugs I'm sure) and I thought to myself, I am going to learn how to play the guitar. Keep in mind I was 49 at the time and was feeling pretty good (dazed). Bottom line is I bought one - $80 I think - even came with a gig bag, strings and a video that in 60 minutes would teach me everything I needed to know. It came, it went - right to the local Goodwill. I'm sure it ended up frustrating a many promising young players cause it wouldn't of made good kindling. Now that I have thoroughly embarrassed myself there is more to tell about my 2nd guitar - but you won't believe it. However, it will have to wait for another time! :wave
Larrivee RS-4 GoldTop
G&L S-500 BlueBurst