Who's your guilty pleasure?

Started by stubby, January 25, 2008, 04:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 26, 2008, 08:17:35 AM
And there would be something wrong with that?

Of course not!  :winkin:
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

James Taylor
If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: bearsville0 on January 26, 2008, 08:43:50 PM
James Taylor

James Taylor is a guilty pleasure?
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on January 26, 2008, 09:11:58 PM
James Taylor is a guilty pleasure?

I usually prefer music that's a little more tortured and artsy-fartsy like Bjork or Tom Waits, Nina Simone, The Velvet Underground. Radiohead, Brian Eno, Nick Drake, Stereolab, PJ Harvey.

So yes, JT is a guilty pleasure, He's so tastefully soothing.

QuoteSo yes, JT is a guilty pleasure, He's so tastefully soothing.

I wrote for a short-lived punk fanzine in the '70s.  At the end of the decade, each writer was asked to submit his or her top 10 list for the whole decade.  Mine included Sweet Baby James, alongside the Clash, Costello, etc.  The editor said, "Wow, gutsy call!"

D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

....Metallica.  When you just have to let it out.

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on January 27, 2008, 12:07:03 AM
....Metallica.  When you just have to let it out.

OBEY YOUR MASTER, MASTER, MASTER OF PUPPETS...

I've seen 'em live 4 times and counting!
FIII LS-03 IS/Hog on the way

OM-01 (For Sale soon, anyone interested?)
Republic Guitars Resolian (for slide)
A bunch of harmonicas

Bee Gees...especially songs like Jive Talkin' and Nights on Broadway...love those harmonies

Quote from: Tycho on January 26, 2008, 11:03:19 PM
I wrote for a short-lived punk fanzine in the '70s.  At the end of the decade, each writer was asked to submit his or her top 10 list for the whole decade.  Mine included Sweet Baby James, alongside the Clash, Costello, etc.  The editor said, "Wow, gutsy call!"

Now that's what I'm talking about. I would have liked that fanzine.

Hello gents, I brought up the worst pop singer  thread.Very entertaining.
I love 70's pop, Starbuck(moonlight feels right),Franky Vallie tunes,and a bunch of one hiit wonders.
Still love Journey, AWB,Chicago,Doobie Bros,all timeless and still good.
good thread, Dave

Quote from: DFR on January 26, 2008, 12:46:00 PM
First one that comes to mind for me is a recent re-discovery of a band from the late 60s through the seventies called Bread.
Okay people, this calls for an intervention. DFR, it's for your own good. We care about you.
Friends don't let friends listen to Bread.

My guilty pleasure? Spice Girls. I have such a crush on Ginger Spice. But mostly I like them because they remind of the good times my daughter and I had listening to them when she was a teeny-bopper.

Oooh...put me down for ABBA., too.
Even better, Roxette.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

I'll second the vote for early Hall and Oats.
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Quote from: LaminateBoy on January 28, 2008, 09:43:39 AM
Okay people, this calls for an intervention. DFR, it's for your own good. We care about you.
Friends don't let friends listen to Bread.

My guilty pleasure? Spice Girls. I have such a crush on Ginger Spice. But mostly I like them because they remind of the good times my daughter and I had listening to them when she was a teeny-bopper.

Oooh...put me down for ABBA., too.
Even better, Roxette.
Well intervene for me too. Even though I'm very root oriented, I always thought David Gates was one of the best songwriters EVER. I've got one that will knock your socks off. I heard interview of Richard Thompson not too long ago and he did a Brittiny Spears song! I shxt you not. And for creature's sake I'll alway add that he said he liked ABBA! He advised to keep an open mind about songs divorcing them from artst.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: tuffythepug on January 25, 2008, 04:55:36 PM
Hannah Montana........................Seriously dude.      I wouldn't lie to you.   She's got it goin' on.

Why, if I was 40 years younger, I'd be all over that.   Seriously.     :whistling:

:roll

I play some of her stuff and my daughter sings... Fun, and she is a good kid with a good dad.
Be Prepared...

Quote from: Denis on January 27, 2008, 07:43:31 AM
Bee Gees...especially songs like Jive Talkin' and Nights on Broadway...love those harmonies

I gotta second this one. The guys are really good long time musicians.
Be Prepared...

OK Laminateboy, I've enrolled in a 12 step program.  Will you be my sponsor?   :laughin:

Flatlander...I saw Richard Thompson last Friday night.  He's doing a tour called "1000 years of popular music".  He starts out in the year 1068 and goes up to the present, singing all kinds of stuff.  Some of it is sorta serious (remember, this IS Richard Thompson), and some of it is very tongue-in-cheek.  I was disappointed that he didn't do Britney's "Oops, I Did It Again".  He did however do a rousing version of Nelly Furtado's "Maneater".  I was  :roll

The whole show was fantastic, and highly recommended.
Dave

Larrivee OMV-50
Martin 000-28VS(B)
La Patrie Concert
Republic (O-style reso)
'62 Silvertone (amp in case...dual lipstick p'ups)

Yep, that was it "whoops I did it again" I didn't remember what song it was as I'm not too familier with her stuff. Maybe it was tounge in cheek but he sure does a good deadpan.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

I was reminded today of another guilty pleasure of mine, in the Journey vein, but possibly even more embarrassing: Def Leppard's Hysteria album!  I love it.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: Tycho on January 28, 2008, 10:07:12 PM
... possibly even more embarrassing: Def Leppard's Hysteria album!  I love it.

:yak: Geez, Tycho, say it ain't so! You should feel guilty about that one! That's the album where they began using electronic drums, wasn't it? As a teen, I remember thinking "sorry, electric drums and heavy metal don't mix". I'm sure I'll think of a guilty pleasure of my own that's equally bad one of these days.

I honestly can't think of any albums that I'm shy to admit liking. Abba has been mentioned and I think they were an amazing pop band with incredible vocals and great writing/arranging. Ahhh, I think maybe there's one record in my collection that could be a guilty pleasure: "The Liberace Silver Anniversary Collection" box set (5 records and a book enclosed in a silver color box released by GRT in 1976). It's playing on the turntable as I write.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

Alright, thats it!  What do you think Stubby?  I say Novalis wins the prize.  Publicly admitting to listening to Liberace!!!

Novalis...you have pleaded guilty to listening to Liberace.  A jury of your peers has sentenced you to 30 hours of public service.  You must appear at your local food-shelf wearing a sequins sport suit with wide lapels, a frilly dress shirt and a gawd-awful looking tie.  If you don't have a gawd-awful looking tie, one will appointed to you by the court.  Failure to comply to any of the conditions of this sentence will require you to be locked in a 8' x 8' room with Zamfir and his pan flute, John Tesh and the worst banjo player we can find.

:wacko:
Dave

Larrivee OMV-50
Martin 000-28VS(B)
La Patrie Concert
Republic (O-style reso)
'62 Silvertone (amp in case...dual lipstick p'ups)