Bought Annother Larrivée Today Too

Started by Hugendubel, October 14, 2003, 05:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am new in this forum so hello to everybody up front. After having bought a L-03R 1+1/2 year ago that guitar more and more became my "workhorse" because it is the most versatile guitar I own. I remember having played a D-05 in the same shop for some minutes. Last week a retailer offered a brand new D-05 for $ 1150 and I ordered sight unseen. For the area I live this seems to be a fair deal.

Today I recieved the guitar and I am satisfied with it absolutely. Plays like a dream and the guitar sounds great while it is still new and vitually unplayed (not the slightest sign of fretwear even on the first three frets). The soundboard has a wonderful colour, some kind of a vintage yellow, reminding to honey. It sounds like I expect a dreadnought to sound: A strong but defined bass but still quite a balanced sound. My first impression is that it does not only show a dreadnought's virtues but also works great as a fingerstyle instrument. I am very pleased by now indeed.

What makes me wonder is that the label inside the body says it was made in B.C., Canada for I believed these models were made in California. I don't mind where it is made, what counts is the result but I am just curious.
Larrivée L03-R with B-Band AST
Larrivée D-05 with B-Band AST
Lakewood D-32 (Sitka/Rosewood)

Hugendubel welcome to the show.Your D05 might be whats called new old stock.Email larrivee with the sr # they should be able to tell you more.Enjoy your new toy :P  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

New old stock.... sounds as if it could be "vintage" some day. :rolleyes:   I'll mail the serial # to Larivée. Good idea I should have thought of!

My D 03 R was made in Canada too...  Made late 2003 according to Larrivee.

How is Larrivee pronounced? :blink:  
Mike Jones

Larrivee D-03R
K&K Pure Western P/U
Seagull S 12+
Ultrasound Ag30P
ESP EC 100-QM
Webstrings Lights

:o  I figure it was French so it would be Lari va (long a).
Mike Jones

Larrivee D-03R
K&K Pure Western P/U
Seagull S 12+
Ultrasound Ag30P
ESP EC 100-QM
Webstrings Lights

There is about 20 different ways to say my last name, but the one I most use is lair-ih-vay.

I actually switch back and forth depending on who i'm talking to... If the person speaks some french then I will change to the proper french la-ree-vay.

Most english only speakers asume it is lair-ih-vee because of the double "e", but in french that double "e" sounds like "eh" as in "Creme Brulée". So really I use a combination of the English version and the french version.

Confusing enough?  :blink:

To answer your question, I say it lair-ih-vay.

Matthew Larrivee.

and I thought it was prononced "yo boss" :D  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I got feedback from the Larrivée company really quick. They told me the day the procedure began and each and ervery material actually used. My D-05 was made in 1998, so it is really new "old stuff"! Great old stuff.

Can anybody tell me something about neck specs ? Were they different those days ? I believe to remember having read something like models up to the 03-line get 1-11/16 nuts and from 05 they get 1-3/4 nuts. The source was the old Larrivée website as far as I remember. Nowadays it seems to be that the L-models get 1-3/4 and the dreads get 1-11/16. Has this been so since the beginning or has there been a switch ?

well here in Japan it`s pronounced RARIBI. Thats how it`s written too. My name is Beaudin... which becomes BORDEN here. `course we do funny things to the Japanese language as well.

Here's what I know about neck widths:

Pre 2003 models:

All 01, 02, 03, and 04 series had 1 11/16" regardless of body size.  05, 09, 10, 72, etc. OMs and Ls had 1 3/4", while all dreads, regardless of level, had 1 11/16".  Js also have 1 11/16".  I think 00s and LJs have always had 1 3/4"

Currently, the OM-03 and L-03 have moved to 1 3/4", all else has stayed the same.  Parlors have always had 1 3/4".  

In the past (how far back?), some or all dreads had 1 3/4" because I've played a D-05 and a D-09 that had 1 3/4".  

Zach

Zach

Zach: Thanks. According to the rules it should be 1-11/16 but there also is an opportunity that it's 1-3/4. Hmm...
Maybe one day I will measure... just have to find my caliper. It's always gone when I need it and it appears when I am desparatly looking for something else.

thats the rule for things like that. kind of a Murphy`s law type deal.