Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worst Pop singer?  (Read 4706 times)
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2008, 03:02:05 AM »

Just don't get what all the fuss is about Avril.

I don't think Avril is performing for the over-21 crowd.  And that's fine.  Kids are entitled to their own music that the oldsters can't get into.  If that weren't the case, being a kid would be a lot less fun.  (Remember?)

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2008, 03:06:10 AM »

Yes.  I remember listening to Quiet Riot, Come On Feel The Noise, and Twisted Sister, We're Not Gonna Take It Anymore.  They were fun songs and my parents hated them.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2008, 04:31:56 AM »

Yes.  I remember listening to Quiet Riot, Come On Feel The Noise, and Twisted Sister, We're Not Gonna Take It Anymore.  They were fun songs and my parents hated them.

Your parents are smart people then.

bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2008, 04:32:42 AM »

Yes, they were!

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2008, 12:47:19 PM »

Let's not forget that there is wide range of music that qualifies as "pop" and that makes it into the public's attention. I love a well crafted pop song and among my favories are "sugar, sugar" and so many great tunes by the Monkees. In the 80s we had some excellent pop tunes from Cyndi Lauper and Madonna etc etc.  The Kinks from the 60s had some fun stuff.

The kind I puke at is the  Barry Manilows, Celine Dions (all for adults, right?) Striesand etc. And the early teen stuff that squarks about puppy love --the Osmonds and their contemporary protoges like The Cheetah Girls and anything found on a Mary-Kate and Ashley movie (my daughter has watched them).

If it sounds good, it is good.

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2008, 01:06:58 PM »

Just don't get what all the fuss is about Avril.

Gotta love her. She's Canadian and the anti-Brittany. Her songs may suck but she does write them and actually plays guitar.   
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2008, 01:20:42 PM »

Her songs may suck but she does write them and actually plays guitar.   

"Co-write" would be more accurate.  Her biggest hits have been collaborations with hardened pro songwriters like the Matrix team on her first album or Chantal Kreviazuk on her second.  I just had a look at the credits for her latest album, and all the songs are collabs (though I don't recognize the writers).

What I give her credit for is actually singing in her real voice.  I've been on music boards where people who should know better complain that they saw her on TV and she was off-pitch.  Well, that's because what you're hearing is really her, for good or ill.  It's astonishing how many people don't realize that almost all of the manufactured pop stars of our era routinely use autotune or backing tapes when they perform live.  You might as well be watching karaoke, or a movie, or a robot.

There aren't a whole lot of pop singers out there who can stay perfectly on pitch.  (And of course ever since Dylan, staying on pitch hasn't been a requirement in folk or "serious" rock.)  Celine, of course, is one.  Another is the great Neko Case.

D-03RE
D-03-12

bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2008, 01:22:36 PM »

Gotta love her. She's Canadian and the anti-Brittany. Her songs may suck but she does write them and actually plays guitar.   
Oh well, at least she writes songs and actually plays the guitar.  whistling

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2008, 03:54:18 PM »

Co-writes?  What does that mean?  She sharpens the pencils when they get dull? 
Novalis

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2008, 06:19:45 PM »

I heard one of her songs a few years ago but can't remember the title. Standard pop music marketed for young teens. After a minute of listening to her it was pretty clear that the lyrics were not likely written by a ghostwriter. That is, unless the ghostwriter was about 13 years of age.

Then again, when I was a teen I listened to a lot of silly heavy-metal. It sounds so cheesy to hear it today. With each passing year it seems that "Spinal Tap" becomes more and more relevant.

Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2008, 07:06:22 PM »

Nice one creature

tubeornot2b

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2008, 08:09:47 PM »

No bytes on the which is worse question? I thought that the good voice/bad taste vs. Bad voice to begin with question might generate some interest.
robv

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2008, 09:45:21 PM »

thought I'd drop my 2 cents in. Celine I find has a good voice but in learning English for the pop market she adopted a lot of pop inflections that I don't like. I've heard her sing in French and there are no inflections and quite nice.
and..rap is crap imho.
Rob

L05 2003
'77 yamaki
'74 Yamaha classical
topographic

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2008, 05:03:05 AM »

Not exactly a pop singer, but Geddy Lee gets my vote.

"I've suffered for my art; now it's your turn."

My songs:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=236287
stubby

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2008, 01:04:58 PM »

Geddy Lee....good pick, topographic. One of the few singers who can actually cause physical pain when listened to. Those Toronto bands....'nuff said.
stubby

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2008, 01:19:57 PM »

Isn't anyone going to pick on Jennifer Love Hewitt and Lindsay Lohan? Are they so far down the talent scale as to be be deemed too insignificant to ridicule? Are they so unspeakably amateurish, so abysmally devoid of any redeeming musical value, that no one here can condescend to even utter their names in a musical context? If no one is willing to stand up and decry this pair's stupefying foray into the music industry, then I will.
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2008, 02:54:38 PM »

Isn't anyone going to pick on Jennifer Love Hewitt and Lindsay Lohan? Are they so far down the talent scale as to be be deemed too insignificant to ridicule? Are they so unspeakably amateurish, so abysmally devoid of any redeeming musical value, that no one here can condescend to even utter their names in a musical context?

Answer: yes!

D-03RE
D-03-12

Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2008, 04:49:52 PM »

I don't know if this counts but I have paid good money to NOT here Stairway to heaven and Hotel Ca.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: