Gotoh 510s: regular or mini?

Started by fretsalot, January 17, 2008, 09:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are both the regular and mini 510s drop-in replacements for Pings?
Which are closer in size to the Pings on my J-03R?
Which should I get?  Does it matter?

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Tuning+Machines&NameProdHeader=Gotoh%99+Steel+String+Contour+%28510%27s%29

Regulars work fine ..just make sure they are the offset screw housing models. The Delta series are somewhat superior with ratios of 21:1 however, any Gotoh is better than the stock Pings.

Go regular size, spend the extra cash for the Deltas....WELL WORTH IT!
Also, you can get the Gotoh buttons so that they look like your Shaller style.......ie, they will look exactly as your Pings do, but be WAY better.  I'm not a huge fan of the rounded, bean look of the new style Gotoh.....so, I just ordered the Deltas with the Shaller style buttons.  It is the only way I will go......any Larri I get will immediately get the Gotoh's.
Larrivee D-03 MT (2005)  "Dixie"
Larrivee Mahogany Parlor-01 (unbound 2000)  "Mabelle"

Thank you for your responses.  I had already been inclined to get the regular-sized Deltas.  Now the decision is final.

I, also, am not too fond of the buttons on the 510s, but I thought they all came that way.  LMI lists only 3 choices for regular Deltas, all with bean buttons.  How do you order Deltas with Schaller-style buttons?

BTW....love your forum name! 
The contact is:
Domo International
Scott Ando
250 H St
Suite 633
Blaine, WA 98230
888-274-4286
email: domointl@gmail.com

For Canadian folks:
Yusuke Kawakami
141 E 7th Ave
Vancouver, BC
Canada  V5T 1M5

They are a Gotoh dealer, but (more importantly) carry 126 different machine head tuners. However, 126 is just the number of different models of tuners, not styles of tuners. For instance, in the Gotoh 510 series he has 5 different posts, 7 different buttons, and 12 different finishes. So, in just the Gotoh 510 series you might have up to 420 different combinations. He admittedly does not carry all of them in stock, but he does have proper representation of the popular combinations from all 126 different tuners and will order anything he does not carry that is available.

You can take a look at these Gotoh catalog pages if you like. Notice the offset on the set screw. You will need one that is 11 mm from the shaft centerline at a 45 degree angle from the base. Or, take a look at your pings and you can see where the location is...

I had the above copied from the past, just pasted in here for you.....can't remember who to give credit for it.  I think you can actually view the pages of the catalog on the main page here.......click around a bit.
Larrivee D-03 MT (2005)  "Dixie"
Larrivee Mahogany Parlor-01 (unbound 2000)  "Mabelle"

Would you recommend the regular size 510s for a Parlor? Or should I use the minis?
R/Bud
P-05MT

Quote from: fretsalot on January 18, 2008, 10:47:02 AM
Thank you for your responses.  I had already been inclined to get the regular-sized Deltas.  Now the decision is final.

I, also, am not too fond of the buttons on the 510s, but I thought they all came that way.  LMI lists only 3 choices for regular Deltas, all with bean buttons.  How do you order Deltas with Schaller-style buttons?

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Tuning+Machines&NameProdHeader=Gotoh%99+Steel+String+Replacement+Buttons

I'm not sure if they will sell them as a package or not.

You must get the "center screw" housing, right?  I bought 510s with the 45 degree offset screw holes and they did not fit!  Someone else please clarify...I have 2 larrivees that are unplayable because of stripped out PLASTIC ping tuner buttons, and also in need of new tuners.  I have jammed paper shims, super glue, and Lord knows what else into those buttons to hold them on.  I need new tuners desperately but also want to make sure I get the right ones...one set for my parlor, one set for my maple Jumbo.

Justin 
OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")

Make sure you order the ones that are offset......not the ones with the screw hole directly below the tuner body. Look at your Ping's, it will be obvious.

I want to replace the Ping tuners on my Parlor and I have read every post I can find here including the FAQ. I understand that Gotoh 510 Deltas are preferred my the majority of those who have posted, but it is not clear in my mind whether I need to order the regular or the minis. Is it strictly a preference "thing" and either size will be a direct drop in on a Parlor? Or should I order the minis?

thanks in advance for your advice.

Bud
R/Bud
P-05MT