LARRIVEE ELECTRIC GUITARS!

Started by guitarcrazy, January 17, 2008, 10:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuoteBTW, what's the weight of these Larry Lectrics?

An average of 8 lbs., according to the bumf and to what Matt said in the video.

A very nice weight for a guitar in the LP vein.  (My own LP tips the scales at almost 11 lbs.!)
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: billchivers on January 25, 2008, 09:01:00 PM
What we are missing is research and development effort and money into acoustics. What is rare these days is a company that concentrates on one product and does that product well. There are already 100 PRS or Zachary wanna-bes on the market.

Larrivee could either a) concentrate on one product and be the best, or b) make everything and be mediocre. I wish they would be the former.

Bill

Perhaps they will excel at both. The glass may indeed be half full.

Quote from: Blue in VT on January 17, 2008, 11:18:03 AM
Am I the only one thats a little dissapointed that this is the big news???  I actually liked the fact that Larrivee was an all acoustic builder...in recent times anyway.  This would be like Martin reissuing there electric line.....just dissapointing....IMO.  Plus I don't play electric....so oh well... :yawn

Cheers,

Blue
Blue, Martin introduced electric archtops a few years ago. Not doing very well from what I undersand. My Martin rep even offered me one on consignment. They never do that! No solid body's yet however from Martin. I think the design of the Larrivee E is very cool. I like them and cannot wait to get the first one in.  I love what they did with the cut a way contor on the top!
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com

Jim...

I was referring to the solid body guitrs that Martin put out in the 80s(?) apparently they didn't last to long...and thats what I'm afraid will happen with Larri's new electric.  It seems to me that the market for electrics is pretty well flooded with well known and well respected builders...and I would prefer if Jean and crew focused their energies on more acoustic lines....and GASP....maybe reopen the custom shop!?!?!  instead of trying to get a toe hold in a market in which they have no percentage at the moment.  Anyway, I hope they do well for the company as a whole...I'd hate for them to lose money cause of this gamble... :?

They just don't interest me in least....I don't play electirc....yet... :arrow

:beer

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

Quote from: Blue in VT on January 17, 2008, 11:18:03 AM
Am I the only one thats a little dissapointed that this is the big news???  I actually liked the fact that Larrivee was an all acoustic builder...in recent times anyway.  This would be like Martin reissuing there electric line.....just dissapointing....IMO.  Plus I don't play electric....so oh well...

No, Blue - you are not the only one....

jimmy

Well, if it's true that Larrivee has been developing these for four years (in some manner, whether just daydreaming or literally building and refining actual pre-production instruments), then he's had plenty of time to weigh the financial and business implications of this decision...and he's decided it's worth it from that standpoint.

I for one have been in love with Larrivee acoustics for over 15 years...and that is precisely the reason I'm excited about a Larrivee electric (but I'm also an electric player).  If I love their acoustics this much, I'm sure I'll also find a musical soul mate in one (or more...!) of their electrics.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

No wonder Larrivee has been ignoring the custom shop for so long.  They must figure there's more money in a standard line of electrics than in custom acoustics.
OM-05, L-03WL, 000-40R

Is a 25.5 inch scale pretty long for an electric?  I could look it up, but I'm lazy.  A guy from work was raving about the Gibson 24.75 and said anything larger was just way too long.  I understand the acoustics are 25.5 and I haven't really had a problem.
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Custom Built Orchestra Model

Previously Owned:
Larrivee L-10 Special Edition, 2002
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

Quote from: didymus21 on January 28, 2008, 04:56:10 PM
Is a 25.5 inch scale pretty long for an electric?  I could look it up, but I'm lazy.  A guy from work was raving about the Gibson 24.75 and said anything larger was just way too long.  I understand the acoustics are 25.5 and I haven't really had a problem.

25.5" is standard scale length for most Fenders, including Strats and Tele's.  Some of Fender's student guitars had shorter scale lengths, as did the Jaguar (at 24").  I believe the Jazzmaster is 25.5".

So, no - 25.5" scale length obviously isn't a problem for electric players, unless they have short fingers/small hands.

It DOES affect tone, however.  The Larrivee's will NOT sound like a Les Paul, and the biggest reason will be the longer scale length of the Larrivee (and there will be a few other minor factors as well).

QuoteIt DOES affect tone, however.  The Larrivee's will NOT sound like a Les Paul, and the biggest reason will be the longer scale length of the Larrivee (and there will be a few other minor factors as well).

I'm guessing that the longer scale length will make the Larrivees brighter than a Les Paul, and with more "zing" (to use the scientfically accepted term).
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Tycho,

That has been my experience with several other long scale humbucker guitars.  The LP sounds more "throaty," thick, or meaty, while the longer scale has more definition and snap, sparkle, highs, or "sing" as you put it.   

My favourite descriptions of the classic LP sound are "midrange grunt" (bridge pickup) and "flutey" (neck pickup).
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

Well, a lot of things happened when I was away. Larrivée electrics! :ohmy:

I have to confess, though, that I'm a little disappointed. Apart from its reduced L-shape body and the headstock, you'd confuse the RS-4 for a Gibson Les Paul.

I'm not against Larrivée taking inspiration from the LP, but I wish they'd forego (forgone?) the HUGE fretboard markers (that screams Gibson - can't stand it!), and used different buttons. Folks, apart from the body shape, headstock and buttons placement, it looks so much like an LP it's uncanny.

Taylor has annonced its electrics too (at the same time as Larrivée, what a coincidence! Jean and Bob sure seem to talk to each other :tongue:), and I like much better what they've done, aesthetics-wise. The Custom is gorgeous.

Anyway, that won't prevent me from seeking to try out an RS-4. Second thing that came to mind when I saw those was, maybe that's what I need to get interested by electrics. :bgrin:
2005 Larrivée LV-03RE
2003 Larrivée Rosewood Special Edition Parlor
1998 Fender American Std Stratocaster
1991 Vantage VS-5 (beater)

Just saw two of them at Long & McQuade in Calgary. They have a charcoal burst and a solid amber. They are in the 2.4K range. I must say that Larry headstock looks good on an electric!
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

There are four of them at the downtown Long & McQuade in Toronto.  I played one this afternoon (the tobacco burst).  It's very sweet, and they look great in real life.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

I posted pics of the electrics that were at Summer Namm show under another thread here. I didn't play any of them.

http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=21979.0
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

You know, you guys are worthless, totally worthless!!!   :whistling:

We need a "plugged in" review!  These are Larrivee ELECTRICS, see?!?! 

Tycho wrote:  It's very sweet, and they look great in real life. 

Wow.  I'm underwhelmed by that descriptive statement.  PA-LEEZE!!! Aren't you guys man enough to plug in??? Someone - plug one into A TUBE AMP and report back!   :mad:

(There's a lefty Tobacco Burst at Guitar Adoptions that's making me crazy...)   :drool:

I actually did play one plugged into a tube amp...but my ADD will not permit me to write a longer review.    :bgrin:

I liked it.  It had a good beat and you could dance to it.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

I will say this: in my brief experience with it, it seemed to me that it sounded more LP-like than I would have expected with the longer scale length.  I should have tested that subjective reaction by AB'ing it with one of the many nice LPs at Long & McQuade, but there wasn't really the chance to do that.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

Thanks, Tycho, that's a START, anyway... :angry:

Just kidding...I'll take any bones thrown my way!   :humour: