LARRIVEE ELECTRIC GUITARS!

Started by guitarcrazy, January 17, 2008, 10:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: the creature on January 21, 2008, 09:27:17 AM
Keyboards are for wimps.  Bach would puke on one if he were alive today.  And it makes me no difference what Lenny Kravitz or any other MTV bobble head plays, I cannot take Line 6 guitars seriously.  IMO, they are and always will be mere toys.  If someone likes them, great.  I do not. 

:wave

Idonno, if Bach were alive today,  I think he'd be rockin' out on MTV, VH1, YouTube, and MySpace with a keyboard.  ...maybe even a couple country numbers on CMT where he tries out his new Line6.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: rockstar_not on January 20, 2008, 10:37:32 PM
Well, at least they don't look like the Larrivee electrics from the 80's!!!!

I do believe that Jean might be following in Taylor's place or vice versa.  You know Jean and Mr. Taylor aren't the sworn enemies that we might think they are.

In fact, when I got a personal tour of Oxnard from Jean, he mentioned that he and Bob trade technical tips and such.  I remember him saying this to me when we were looking at one of the more hi-tech pieces of gear - I think it was the CNC machine that was doing basic shaping of neck blanks.

Who knows, it could have been Taylor following Larrivee's lead from a phone call or something and Taylor just made it to market first?

I have to say:  Ho Hum to the announcement.

For electrics, I go the other way in price - much less than my Larry.  If I ever go high with a tune-o-matic bridged guitar (which I loathe), I'll probably buy a Heritage from right here in Michigan.  Or a Reverend, another home-grown product.

-Scott

Just goes to show, we all like different stuff, have different wants/needs, and the free market addresses all those individual desires.

There are at least three reasons why the new Larrivee electrics appeal to me:

1.  First and foremost, they're designed and made by Jean Larrivee.  He has an incredible reputation for making high quality guitars with some of the best materials (probably THE best materials in production line guitars). I have strong reason to believe the Larrivee electric will be of the same high quality as his acoustics.  And the price really is not out of line for a guitar with the Larrivee name on it.Have you priced the Collings electrics?  Yes, they're extra nice, but their prices DO reflect that!

2.  He is making lefties at no upcharge, just like he does in the acoustic lines.  THANK YOU!  :thumbsup

3.  It really is a 'ground up' design. Any similarities to some current models from other makers (like the Les Paul) stem more from the fact that every guitar has a body, neck, tuners, pickups, etc., and they all have to function in a usable fashion...other than that, I think Larrivee have gone for ergonomics (thinner than an LP with some extra body cutaways) and tone (upgrade from typical OEM pickups, bridges and pots/caps, etc.). I'm also glad he didn't try to copy what Taylor was doing by adding an acoustic option.This would just add unnecessary cost and make the guitar LESS marketable, IMO.  Can you name ONE "crossover" guitar that has become a "standard" model that players want to have in their gear collections?  (Crickets chirping...)

As I've been agonizing trying to make up my mind which finish to get, I realized that, if these are all that nice, and they stay in production for a year or two, I'll just have to get both of 'em: Tobacco Sunburst and Charcoal Burst!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

With all of the talk about electric guitars, I didn't realize that Larrivee introduced some other stuff too.  Looks like pointed cutaway 09 and 10 guitars and a blonde colored wood on some 03s.  Those pointed cutaways look great.  Theres a page on this NAMM coverage with some shots of the Larrivee family too.

http://www.12fret.com/new/NAMM2008index.html

QuoteWith all of the talk about electric guitars, I didn't realize that Larrivee introduced some other stuff too.

Someone started a thread here that listed the other stuff too, but it got eclipsed in all the hubbub about the electrics.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: the creature on January 20, 2008, 12:03:25 PM
In my view, the only thing more lame than the Line 6 guitar that pretends to sound like other guitars is the Gibson LP that tunes itself.  Why not just have one that plays all by itself and be done with it?
:rolleye:

Luddite :bgrin:

Have you got indoor plumbing? :rolleye:

The Electrics Larries look nice I'll try one, but i don't need one.

I've a 60's Tele, a Strat, a Guild BluesBird and a Les Paul Goldtop. I'm covered in the electric guitar area.

I didn't like the Taylor Electric I tried enough to buy one.

Need one? Hmmm. Interesting concept. For electrics, I have a strat, tele, jazzmaster, 335 copy, Les Paul jr. copy, LarrivĂ©e tele, 12 string Pacifica, Drop 6 baritone. If you notice I don't (at the moment) have a Les Paul type guitar. So ... why not one of these? It's like "needing" a Mickey Mantle rookie card, I guess.  :arrow 

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 23, 2008, 05:57:03 AM
It's like "needing" a Mickey Mantle rookie card, I guess.  :arrow 

Yeah, but if you sold the MM card, you could by four of the Larrivee's - one in each finish!   :winkin:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: ducktrapper on January 23, 2008, 05:57:03 AM
If you notice I don't (at the moment) have a Les Paul type guitar. So ... why not one of these? It's like "needing" a Mickey Mantle rookie card, I guess.  :arrow 

ummm... Duck? What do you call a Les Paul Jr. copy?  :arrow

Hmmmmmmm   Did someone say they "needed" a Mickey Mantle Rookie card ?   Will this do ?

[attachment no longer available]

Quote from: flagstaffcharlie on January 23, 2008, 11:47:56 AM

It's made by Univox but it's close to an exact replica of a Gibson Les Paul Jr. limited edition (2 pick up model). The 335 is also a Univox and also an almost exact replica. You can see the jr. copy at the website below under limited edition series but the 335 appears to be extremely rare. No pics below, anyway. I should send them some. Anyway, they are two nice guitars. In 1979 the 335 cost me $425.00 and the jr. $200.00. About half of Gibson prices at the time. Not cheap for 1979. Most guitarists who've played them think the 335 is, in fact, as good if not better than similar Gibsons of the era. They became popular when Kurt Cobain played a Univox Mosrite copy. 

http://www.univox.org/guitars/ 

Quote from: flagstaffcharlie on January 23, 2008, 11:47:56 AM

Yikes, no!  A Junior is very different from yer standard (or Custom or Deluxe...) Les Paul.  About the only thing they have in common is the name.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

Yer Gibson Les Paul Jr.

Yer Gibson limited edition

Here's the two pickup model that I have a copy of,

Cool guitar collection Duck! You've got a real blue collar stable of instruments and I mean that as a compliment. Looks like fun!

To me, that's an LP style guitar minus the carved top. But that's just me. I see the classic shape, a humbucker or two, blah, blah, blah.

Guess I'm still  :arrow

Those aren't my guitars, btw. Just googlers. My special edition is a real screamer with a Gibson dirty finger (recent addition) in the bridge position. You can see some of my guitars at the link below. I can't post pictures of them right now because all my photos are trapped in my other computer. My nephew went and moved and I no longer have a "computer guy" on call. Drats!   

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/66770349iHmhMB

Quote from: Tycho on January 21, 2008, 07:20:49 AM
What don't you like about the tune-o-matic?  I have quite a few electrics and I've become a huge fan of the Gibson design just in the past couple of years.

I'm with you on Reverends, though.  I have two of the old Eastpointe models, and I like the newer Asian-made ones that I've tried.  They're great guitars, made for people who are willing to be a bit adventurous (especially the older US-made ones -- the newer ones are a bit more copycat).

I've never got on with the bridge - my right hand technique needs my pinky anchored on the pickguard.  The Tune-o-matic puts the heel of my palm too high off of the body to do my standard pinky anchoring thing.  Probably bad technique on my part.

I did play an SG recently that I took a shine to - nice and light.

BTW, what's the weight of these Larry Lectrics?

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

QuoteWhat has one got to do with your enjoyment of the other? What actual difference does it make to those who don't care for electric guitars? Are you losing something?  Am I missing something here?

What we are missing is research and development effort and money into acoustics. What is rare these days is a company that concentrates on one product and does that product well. There are already 100 PRS or Zachary wanna-bes on the market.

Larrivee could either a) concentrate on one product and be the best, or b) make everything and be mediocre. I wish they would be the former.

Bill
Larrivee OM-03R 2007
Aria Classical mid 1960s Model A550 S/No 83
Fender Stratocaster 2000