LARRIVEE ELECTRIC GUITARS!

Started by guitarcrazy, January 17, 2008, 10:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I started a thread on The Gear Page about them.  The people there are both opinionated and (usually) highly knowledgeable, so I was curious to know what the response would be.  So far, while a vocal minority thinks they're ugly, others are impressed by the features.

Oh, and one guy wondered when there would be a P-90 version.  That didn't take long!  :laughin:

Here's the thread:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=340337
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

There seems to be lots of folk disappointed with the electric guitar offering.  I'm not an electric guitarists (though I used to be), but I think they look really nice, and the specs sound great as well.  If nothing else you have to give Larrivee credit for not doing the same old tired Strat and LP copies.  How many companies have come out with the "utlimate" electric guitar, when in reality it's nothing more than a slightly altered Strat (in most cases) or a LP with a twist.  If I were an electric guitarist, and if I still had any amplifiers laying around, the new Larrivee electric is the guitar I'd be playing.  Personally, I think it SCREAMS creativity and originality.  It would have been easy for Larivee to offer a new finish or some other minute optional change, but instead they went to the drawing board and came away with a unique product.  I am really impressed and think they've done a great job.

:nice guitar:

Quote from: the creature on January 18, 2008, 05:38:26 PM
There seems to be lots of folk disappointed with the electric guitar offering.  I'm not an electric guitarists (though I used to be), but I think they look really nice, and the specs sound great as well.  If nothing else you have to give Larrivee credit for not doing the same old tired Strat and LP copies.  How many companies have come out with the "utlimate" electric guitar, when in reality it's nothing more than a slightly altered Strat (in most cases) or a LP with a twist.  If I were an electric guitarist, and if I still had any amplifiers laying around, the new Larrivee electric is the guitar I'd be playing.  Personally, I think it SCREAMS creativity and originality.  It would have been easy for Larivee to offer a new finish or some other minute optional change, but instead they went to the drawing board and came away with a unique product.  I am really impressed and think they've done a great job.

That's my thinking, too.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

QuoteLooks like an older Guild M75 or 65.

That was my first thought.  But I'm glad the Larrivee family is willing to take chances to stay profitable.  And though I'd like to play a lot of the electrics I see online, I'm not particularly impressed by any of them anymore.  They all look the same or similar; they all seem to sound the same or have the same features - electric guitars are wasted on me.

Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

Sorry creature.  non sequitur as far as I am concerned.  No one ever doubted Jean's creativity or independent streak that guides him not to copy...but I think those less than impressed (like myself) may have falsly associated Larrivee as being purely acoustic-driven.  (I know he make electrics in the '80's, but the website clearly states market downturn as the reason).  Not that making a great electric was a bad move (and potentially a great one economically-speaking), but I and others were hoping for Larrivee's efforts to be on either:

a) expanding the options across the acoustic line
b) increasing the diversity of acoustic instruments.

Neither happened, save the return of the bass, which is cool...but if you can do a bass....I'm sure a D-09 baritone or D-03 Baritone would sell....or small body options in the -03 series....or....or...ad nauseum.

Hey, good for him - it just does nothing for long-time players and purchasers like me (and I suspect many others on this forum) who were hoping to see other things.  The electric is so disappointing primarily because it took a lot of time (4 yrs according to the website) and intellectual energy to get it running....at the expense of acoustic R&D. 

I guess Martin is next....  :yawn

Martin may very well jump back in the electric guitar market.  I remember back in high school this kid had a Martin electric guitar.  It was one of those kinds with the pointy headstock that went really good with a mullet (which this kid had).  I've never forgotten that guitar because that guy was the first person that I'd ever seen --- in person --- who could play really well.  I tried playing electric, and I got to be a decent blues player, but who can't play blues on the electric? I quit several years ago and have never regretted it. 

There seems to be lots of folk disappointed with the electric guitar offering.  I'm not an electric guitarists (though I used to be), but I think they look really nice, and the specs sound great as well.  . . .  I am really impressed and think they've done a great job.

I agree. I'm happy to see Larrivee produce what looks like a terrific electric guitar.  It IS ok to like . . .and even PLAY . . .  electrics AND acoustics. I'm looking forward to trying the RS-4.

Quote from: rwnyc on January 18, 2008, 10:04:34 PM
I agree. I'm happy to see Larrivee produce what looks like a terrific electric guitar.  It IS ok to like . . .and even PLAY . . .  electrics AND acoustics. I'm looking forward to trying the RS-4.

Indeed it is.  I play electric a good bit (especially with a boss BD-2 as a Christmas gift from my wife), but I just look to Larry for pure acoustic bliss.  It seems that while they were on the threshold of unloading acoutic creativity, but while there core market salivated, they faltered for favor of another market.  Hope it sells well, fueling more $$ into JCL for more development in acoustics, but I remain disappointed in the interim.

Taylor's new electric is pretty good and sounds ok.  Except I cannot get past the vacuous hubris that surrounded the release of their electric (if you have not yet, then get a copy of the "wood and steel" magazine and read how BT "reinvented" the electric pickup.....sheesh!  It has enough prideful arrogance to give you diarrhoea) - as is typical for all their acoustic design adventures.  That alone prevents me from getting one (sans money as an issue).  JCL, on the other hand, took an idea, made it his own, and beat the paradigm with improved designs...with no "reinvention" myth BS.  So I can swallow that with more ease...I just want that talent back in acoustic designs and new releases...

i'm pretty dissapointed that larrivee made an electric.....stick to what you do best! Making unbelievably balanced and awesome sounding acoustics...looks to me like a very taylor move with the new electrics....
Larrivee D-09e
Takamine EG15SC

What has one got to do with your enjoyment of the other? What actual difference does it make to those who don't care for electric guitars? Are you losing something?  Am I missing something here?  :?

Hovikmx, I would agree with you if that electric guitar was simply crap! And I doubt Jean would accept to produce a "crap" guitar...What if these turn out to be simply awesome guitars @ a reasonable price?
People complain about life being hard, but what if it was limp?

1967 Gibson b45 12strings
06.2007 OMV 09
1972 Global 6 stringer (lol)
2002 Princess (classical)

Will it ever be offered with a 1 3/4" neck and wider string spacing? I'de still love to pick up an electric that is set up more for fingerstyle play.
jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29

QuoteWill it ever be offered with a 1 3/4" neck and wider string spacing? I'de still love to pick up an electric that is set up more for fingerstyle play.

I can't remember if we discussed this before, but find a used Gibson Chet Atkins Tennessean.  (You can't get them new anymore.)  It will be the answer to your dreams.

The Larrivee electrics are clearly intended to compete with rock/blues machines like Les Pauls and PRSes, so I doubt that you'll see fingerstyle-friendly specs on them.

D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

What...no whammy bar?  I want one with a Bigsby.
And I do have to ask....why so many complaints about Larrivee making an electric guitar?  It's not the first one they've made.  You guys who are complaining that Larrivee is an "acoustic" maker, and shouldn't be making electrics remind me of the folks who booed Dylan at Newport when he played "Like a Rolling Stone" with electric guitars......same complaint....Bobby should only play acoustic.  Why?  If you can do both....and do both well, why not?

No one complains that folks like Gibson and Collings make great acoustics AND electrics.

I'm happy, and shocked, that they brought back the florentine.  The molds were supposed to have been broken.  As far as the new electric is concerned, I think it's great of them to try it and I'm sure it's a high quality instrument.  I think it will be hard for them to compete in the high end market they are aiming at but I'm sure they knew that when they decided to try it.
More than I deserve.

If I ever bought another electric, it would be a used Line6 guitar.  For six hundred bucks, they are great quality, look fantastic, and it's like buying 35 guitars in one.  It has built in electronics and with the flick of a switch or change of a setting, in seconds will go change tunings from standard to open A, E, D, G or whatever.  Or, go from sounding like a strat playing through a Fender Blues tube amp to a steel guitar, to a bango, to an acoustic, on and on and on.  My friend has one and they are really fun.  Personally, I think Larrivee is wasting their money and taking far too big a risk to enter a heavily saturated market.  Not that they couldn't be successful doing it, not at all, but it is a big risk.  Best of luck and I hope it doesn't drive up the cost of their acoustics.
:guitar
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

QuoteYou guys who are complaining that Larrivee is an "acoustic" maker, and shouldn't be making electrics remind me of the folks who booed Dylan at Newport when he played "Like a Rolling Stone" with electric guitars....

Ha!  I was actually waiting for someone to stand up and shout: "Judas!!" 

:humour:
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

Quote from: Tycho on January 19, 2008, 01:05:18 PM
Ha!  I was actually waiting for someone to stand up and shout: "Judas!!" 

:humour:

Guys, guys....read the posts more carefully.  I specifically said "falsely associated" and "was aware of previous Larrivee electrics in the 80's."  My concern was the lost chance to bolster the acoustics at a time where it seemed imminent.  No screaming Judas here.

I do not understand the Dylan rage...never will.  Start throwing now....  :yak:

Quote from: bluesman67 on January 19, 2008, 10:10:48 AM
If I ever bought another electric, it would be a used Line6 guitar.  For six hundred bucks, they are great quality, look fantastic, and it's like buying 35 guitars in one.  It has built in electronics and with the flick of a switch or change of a setting, in seconds will go change tunings from standard to open A, E, D, G or whatever.  Or, go from sounding like a strat playing through a Fender Blues tube amp to a steel guitar, to a bango, to an acoustic, on and on and on.  My friend has one and they are really fun.  Personally, I think Larrivee is wasting their money and taking far too big a risk to enter a heavily saturated market.  Not that they couldn't be successful doing it, not at all, but it is a big risk.  Best of luck and I hope it doesn't drive up the cost of their acoustics.
:guitar

bluesman67,

Even though I'm a fellow lefty, I couldn't disagree with you more - AND THAT'S OKAY - we all have our own likes, dislikes, opinions and musical vision...I've played the Line 6 guitars, and, well, hmmmm, just give me one good guitar instead of one that ALMOST makes a lot of different electric (and acoustic) signature tones (I know, this is just MY opinion and what MY ears hear!).  IOW, the Line 6 didn't do anything for me personally.  To each his own.

Knowing how good Larrivee's acoustics are, I'm now COMMITTED to getting one of these electrics, if Larrivee follows their acoustic philosophy and makes these left-handed as well...I can't think of an electric I'd be more proud to own or more excited to pull out of the case and play!  I'm just waiting for Jason or Dave or someone to tell us that they will be available as lefties - what a gift that would be for us!

(sending e-mail to Dave at GA...)

:thumb
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Yes, Lefties are definitely available, and on they way!