LARRIVEE ELECTRIC GUITARS!

Started by guitarcrazy, January 17, 2008, 10:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

At first when I saw the body shape, I was pretty disappointed, too.  BUT, when I read through the specs, and remembered - "Wait a minute - THIS IS A LARRIVEE electric!" I started getting more excited.

I actually like their choice of the longer scale length, and I think it was a good idea NOT to be the same as either Gibson or PRS. 

My biggest question is - will there be lefties in the electric line like in their acoustic lines?  Please, Jean and Matthew, say "YES"!!!

If they make lefties, I'm not going to be able to stop myself...and I guess I'm one that likes the Charcoal Burst, with Tobacco Burst being my second choice (I've never been able to warm up to any cherry burst).

I was going to save some pennies for another pretty pricey electric this year, but if this is available in lefty, I won't think twice about getting one, with those high quality specs...I think they're right up there with Collings, even if the shape is a little 'stubby'.  Something tells me it will play very nicely (wide open cutaway) and have incredible tone.  And it goes without saying that the woods and quality of build will be better than any Gibson under $5K street price.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I wonder if Jean is painting all of the burst on the electrics???

I would love to give one a test drive.
2006 Larrivee P-05
1971 Guild D-50
1972 Yamaha FG180

Quote from: tikabear on January 17, 2008, 05:39:36 PM
The body shape kinda resembles an L body cutaway acoustic.

You're right.  I was looking at them with my "LP" goggles, but now I can see the L resemblance.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

That is what my rep said they were going for.  They scaled down an LV, and tried to improve upon the existing high-end electrics using better wiring, better pickups, and better fit and finish.  Knowing Larrivee, they did all of that and then some.  J
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

Well.. these are Larrivee guitars and I expect they will be excellent quality instruments. However, I think it is a little bit odd that they don't have an "affordable" model in the line. One of the things that sets Larrivee's acoustics apart from many competitors is the affordability of high quality guitars in their -03 series. I've got to believe street price for these guitars is going to be above 2K. You can get some carved top LPs for less money.

Just looking at the specs and the prices I'd be more interested in the Taylor SBs, though I think it's a pretty nice thing to have these quality builders entering the electric market. It can't hurt to have more US/Canadian made guitars to choose from.

:beer

QuoteHowever, I think it is a little bit odd that they don't have an "affordable" model in the line.

On the other hand, if these guitars ever got really popular, the dynamic on this board would change considerably.   :tongue:
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: guitarcrazy on January 17, 2008, 10:32:39 AM
P.S., it looks like the Creature won the free strings for guessing correctly!  J
Very cool!  It was a bit of a wild guess, but I based it on Taylor's success with the T5.  It only seemed natural for Larrivee, or some other high-end maker, to start making electrics as well. 

FWIW, I really like the design.  They look like if a Les Paul was made out of ice cream and started to soften and melt.  Very nice. 

:nice guitar:

You have a way with words!  I liiiike Ice Cream!  Send me your address and I'll get the strings in the mail.  J
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

I'm disappointed. I was hoping for a 1-3/4" nut dread.

If they are doing electrics, I would have liked to have seen an L-5 style or Super 400 type.

I already have 2 electrics that I don't play.

QuoteAm I the only one thats a little disappointed that this is the big news???  I actually liked the fact that Larrivee was an all acoustic builder...in recent times anyway.  This would be like Martin reissuing there electric line.....just disappointing....IMO.  Plus I don't

:+1:

I would have never guessed.
Ruben

Quote from: Blue in VT on January 17, 2008, 11:18:03 AM
Am I the only one thats a little dissapointed that this is the big news???  I actually liked the fact that Larrivee was an all acoustic builder...in recent times anyway.  This would be like Martin reissuing there electric line.....just dissapointing....IMO.  Plus I don't play electric....so oh well... :yawn

Cheers,

Blue

You are not the only one.  I am EXTREMELY disappointed...almost disgusted (although that is a little over the top).  Of all the things I (and most of us on the forum) could have hoped for...a high-end electric?   :yawn
How about cedar tops?  My money would be down.  -03 series slotted headstocks and 000's/00's?  Return of satin parlors in a variety of back/side woods?  Custom shop?  Blank fretboards, LS special editions....argh!!!  Alternative acoustic instruments???:  mando, tenor, bouzouki, octave mando, standard series baritone??    :crying:
I respect Jean's independent spirit, but it looks like Taylor following to me...sorry.  This makes me really glad that I commissioned a custom instead of waiting for Larrivee to get on board for true acoustic players.  I still love my larry, but this is sad.

Best of luck with sales.  If anyone wants to buy one, get it from Jason at Notable - he's the best!!!  :)

Hi Michael, the problem with all the other suggestions mentioned (slotted 03 series, LSV-03, baritones, etc.) is that they aren't profitable.  Larrivee tried the baritone and OO/single O, and they were very slow sellers.  They cannot make high-end guitars at a 03 Series price.  Jean is a craftsman and artist, but he is also a businessman who has to make business decisions that enhance the bottom line.  I agree that a high-end electric is a big departure from the norm, but there is a market for very high quality electric guitars.  Hopefully they are successful at breaking into the Gibson/PRS market and make these instruments successful.  If they aren't profitable, Larrivee' will have to discontinue them just as they did the satin parlors and baritones.  It's unfortunate, but I doubt you will ever see satin parlors or a satin LSV or OOO.  J

P.S., How 'Bout them Tigers!  J
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

Actually, if these electrics become popular with the professionals those same professionals may start using Larrivee acoustics which will give them more visibility. Let's face it, we Larrivee owners are informed buyers. We are aware of many brands and choose to support the ones we like the best, in other words we are buying a instrument because of what comes out of it not who uses it. There are many guitar players out there that have only thought about saving up enough money to buy that Martin, Gibson or Fender that their favorite artist uses.
Larrivee needs more visibility in the professional market to obtain Martin, Gibson or Fender status one day. These things don't happen overnight, it takes decades to establish a record of quality, and it takes more than quality to make a business big. It takes smart business decisions, and Jean Larrivee is a smart businessman.  :thumbsup
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

So a little over 2k when the smoke clears? That's not too bad if the guitar is what I think it is. I can see myself owning one if I can get my hands on one. Probably before the year's out. I like the orange one!   

I wasn't going to post anything "BUT"........there are a bunch of "HIGH END" electrics on the market just hanging in music store that they can't give away because it doesn't say Gibson,PRS or Fender on the headstock.With the major glut of guitars on the streets new and used updating the line would have been a better choice,IMHO.
The good news is that used these guitars will be cheap.Just look at the used market of the acoustic's,no one wants to pay much for them yet everyone screams there praise but don't want to pay anything for them. :wacko:

OK back to my cave while you guy'sthrow rocks.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

You are undoubtable right Unc. I think I'll wait for eBay. My LT1 is already a lot of LarrivĂ©e electric. 

Quote from: flagstaffcharlie on January 17, 2008, 07:17:05 PM
Well.. these are Larrivee guitars and I expect they will be excellent quality instruments. However, I think it is a little bit odd that they don't have an "affordable" model in the line. One of the things that sets Larrivee's acoustics apart from many competitors is the affordability of high quality guitars in their -03 series. I've got to believe street price for these guitars is going to be above 2K. You can get some carved top LPs for less money.

Just looking at the specs and the prices I'd be more interested in the Taylor SBs, though I think it's a pretty nice thing to have these quality builders entering the electric market. It can't hurt to have more US/Canadian made guitars to choose from.

:beer

According to the website, they focused on creating one specific guitar and wanted to push the limits with what they created.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I am not thrilled with the body shape. I understand the cutaway is similar to the acoustic, but this is a solid body electric.
I find that the electric market has about 4 or 5 major shapes.
1. Hollow Body Arch top. 2. Strat. 3. Tele 4. Les Paul and 5. PRS.
When you get too far away from any of these shapes, you are on thin ice.
When I look at all of the offerings by Gibson of the Les paul, I am amazed. AAAAA Flamed maple, cherry burst, PAF '57 Humbuckers, looks old on purpose.
Look at all of the different Fender Strats. It is the same thing. American made, Pickup configuration, finish, color, etc.

If the new electric helps Larrivee's bottom line, then that should keep the acoustic line intact for us bottom feeders who think the 03 series is all we need.

Personally I have no need or desire for an electric guitar.  But I wish Jean well on this one. 
Play it daily for best results.