Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LARRIVEE ELECTRIC GUITARS!  (Read 17640 times)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »

Ha!  I was actually waiting for someone to stand up and shout: "Judas!!" 

Well, at least no one shouted "give us Barabas..."
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2008, 09:39:36 PM »

Well, at least no one shouted "give us Barabas..."

That's "Barabbas" - two 'b's in the middle... whistling

And Hallelujah on the 'good news' - that lefties are available - thanks Dave - you da man!!!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2008, 10:11:33 PM »

Yeah, I know what you're saying Mikey.  I wouldn't trade my Strat in for a Line6, for sure.  I love Fender Strats, for me they are the perfect electric.  I just thought it was a fun guitar.  I didn't actually have a chance to really play it because it wasn't a lefty, so I can't really say for sure that it even would feel good for me, but my friend loves it.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2008, 03:11:50 PM »

Here's a clip of Matt showing one off at NAMM.  I like the looks better when you see it in real life.  It actually looks pretty sweet:

http://livefrom.musicplayer.com/clip.aspx?key=6A2B45AD4C9BCC37&ctx=feat

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2008, 04:04:51 PM »

Only one question occurs to me. Will it be possible for me to NOT get the tobacco sunburst?
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2008, 04:28:32 PM »

Heh.  That's the one I have my eye on too.

D-03RE
D-03-12

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2008, 06:03:25 PM »

bluesman67,

Even though I'm a fellow lefty, I couldn't disagree with you more - AND THAT'S OKAY - we all have our own likes, dislikes, opinions and musical vision...I've played the Line 6 guitars, and, well, hmmmm, just give me one good guitar instead of one that ALMOST makes a lot of different electric (and acoustic) signature tones (I know, this is just MY opinion and what MY ears hear!).  IOW, the Line 6 didn't do anything for me personally.  To each his own.

In my view, the only thing more lame than the Line 6 guitar that pretends to sound like other guitars is the Gibson LP that tunes itself.  Why not just have one that plays all by itself and be done with it?
 rolleye
brandon
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2008, 10:50:12 PM »

i like em, unfortunately while in graduate school its hard to produce the funds to pay for such a nice instrument. hopefully someone can purchase or play one soon and give us some feedback on how they play, sound, and feel.

in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2008, 11:47:17 PM »

In my view, the only thing more lame than the Line 6 guitar that pretends to sound like other guitars is the Gibson LP that tunes itself.  Why not just have one that plays all by itself and be done with it?
 rolleye

Okay, so you are making fun of a guitar that other people like...yeah, like that has never happend before from creature.  I don't actually own one, but I think that they are definitely cool, and I loved the feature to switch open tunings instead of retuning.
 nice guitar

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2008, 12:12:12 AM »

One thing the nay sayers seemed to have forgotten is that there are always new and different acoustic guitars coming out of the Larrivée shops. NAMM isn't the only time we see them. Check Dave's site or the 12th Fret out often. There's always new goodies. The electrics are real news to some of us however.
dxn2

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2008, 12:46:55 AM »

One thing the nay sayers seemed to have forgotten is that there are always new and different acoustic guitars coming out of the Larrivée shops. NAMM isn't the only time we see them. Check Dave's site or the 12th Fret out often. There's always new goodies. The electrics are real news to some of us however.

Well said.  Exactly what I was thinking while reading this thread.

I don't know much about the NAMM show but I do see that there is a summer show as well.  Do new models get introduced there also.

OM-03
------------------------------------------------------------------

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2008, 01:23:14 AM »

Excellent point.  Think of some of the amazing special editions that were issued during 2007.  It seems a bit churlish to complain because they didn't save a few of them for NAMM.

And lest we forget, there are some cool-looking acoustics that were unveiled this week, such as the silver oak model.

It seems to me that NAMM is about the broad market, not the connoisseurs.  Some of us may want to see a standard dread with a wider nut, but I can't see something like that making any sort of splash at NAMM.

D-03RE
D-03-12

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2008, 02:22:13 AM »

Okay, so you are making fun of a guitar that other people like...yeah, like that has never happend before from creature.  I don't actually own one, but I think that they are definitely cool, and I loved the feature to switch open tunings instead of retuning.
 nice guitar
Yes, I'm being critical of the product. I'm not saying anyone who owns one is an idiot, etc.  I just cannot take a product like the Line 6 guitar seriously at all.  It's much more of a computer than it is a guitar.  And you can't "play" a computer, but you can play a guitar.  You can "play on" or "play with" a computer and that's pretty much the only use I can see for such an invention as the Line 6 guitar.  It might be a cool toy to have for a day or two, but then I'd be ready to move on to a real guitar to make music with. 
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2008, 04:37:32 AM »

Well, at least they don't look like the Larrivee electrics from the 80's!!!!

I do believe that Jean might be following in Taylor's place or vice versa.  You know Jean and Mr. Taylor aren't the sworn enemies that we might think they are.

In fact, when I got a personal tour of Oxnard from Jean, he mentioned that he and Bob trade technical tips and such.  I remember him saying this to me when we were looking at one of the more hi-tech pieces of gear - I think it was the CNC machine that was doing basic shaping of neck blanks.

Who knows, it could have been Taylor following Larrivee's lead from a phone call or something and Taylor just made it to market first?

I have to say:  Ho Hum to the announcement.

For electrics, I go the other way in price - much less than my Larry.  If I ever go high with a tune-o-matic bridged guitar (which I loathe), I'll probably buy a Heritage from right here in Michigan.  Or a Reverend, another home-grown product.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
olchip

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2008, 09:46:50 AM »

Those quick interviews are so unfair to the speaker, poor dude sounds like he's selling just another electric guitar!!! rolleye all I remember after seeing him is: loaded, er, vintage, maple mahogany schallers sunburst... But I have to admit that speaking to a camera is an art not easily mastered....Any samples of the thing out yet?

People complain about life being hard, but what if it was limp?

1967 Gibson b45 12strings
06.2007 OMV 09
1972 Global 6 stringer (lol)
2002 Princess (classical)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2008, 12:18:16 PM »

Well, at least they don't look like the Larrivee electrics from the 80's!!!!

I do believe that Jean might be following in Taylor's place or vice versa.  You know Jean and Mr. Taylor aren't the sworn enemies that we might think they are.

-Scott

We like to joke about Taylors but I never heard anyone suggest that Jean and Bob were enemies. Far from it, it's well known that luthiers tend to collaborate and Mr. Larrivée has a reputation for generosity to other guitar builders, bar none.
Hey watch what you say about my baby! I turned down one recent offer for my 80's LT1. Some of us feel differently about those, as well. 
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2008, 12:34:18 PM »

Yes, I'm being critical of the product. I'm not saying anyone who owns one is an idiot, etc.  I just cannot take a product like the Line 6 guitar seriously at all.  It's much more of a computer than it is a guitar.  And you can't "play" a computer, but you can play a guitar.  You can "play on" or "play with" a computer and that's pretty much the only use I can see for such an invention as the Line 6 guitar.  It might be a cool toy to have for a day or two, but then I'd be ready to move on to a real guitar to make music with. 

creature,

I would say that Lenny Kravitz takes his music and playing very seriously when he plays his Line6.

Yes, it has more advanced electronics than other electric guitars, more like a computer if you want to think of it that way.  It isn't a whole lot different than a piano player who plays keyboards.  If you say that someone can't be serious about his playing with a Line6 because it uses too much technology for your liking, then I don't see how you wouldn't feel the same way about a piano player who plays a keyboard.  What is the difference?

bm

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2008, 01:20:49 PM »

For electrics, I go the other way in price - much less than my Larry.  If I ever go high with a tune-o-matic bridged guitar (which I loathe), I'll probably buy a Heritage from right here in Michigan.  Or a Reverend, another home-grown product.

What don't you like about the tune-o-matic?  I have quite a few electrics and I've become a huge fan of the Gibson design just in the past couple of years.

I'm with you on Reverends, though.  I have two of the old Eastpointe models, and I like the newer Asian-made ones that I've tried.  They're great guitars, made for people who are willing to be a bit adventurous (especially the older US-made ones -- the newer ones are a bit more copycat).

D-03RE
D-03-12

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2008, 03:27:17 PM »

creature,

I would say that Lenny Kravitz takes his music and playing very seriously when he plays his Line6.

Yes, it has more advanced electronics than other electric guitars, more like a computer if you want to think of it that way.  It isn't a whole lot different than a piano player who plays keyboards.  If you say that someone can't be serious about his playing with a Line6 because it uses too much technology for your liking, then I don't see how you wouldn't feel the same way about a piano player who plays a keyboard.  What is the difference?

bm
Keyboards are for wimps.  Bach would puke on one if he were alive today.  And it makes me no difference what Lenny Kravitz or any other MTV bobble head plays, I cannot take Line 6 guitars seriously.  IMO, they are and always will be mere toys.  If someone likes them, great.  I do not. 

Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2008, 04:54:18 PM »

We like to joke about Taylors but I never heard anyone suggest that Jean and Bob were enemies. Far from it, it's well known that luthiers tend to collaborate and Mr. Larrivée has a reputation for generosity to other guitar builders, bar none.
Hey watch what you say about my baby! I turned down one recent offer for my 80's LT1. Some of us feel differently about those, as well. 

Ya.. three cheers for pointy heads...   

And you can use them for hockey sticks in a pinch...   

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: