Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Turtle Wax Express Shine  (Read 2984 times)
zoeieio

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2008, 04:49:27 PM »

The video on the Taylor guitar website used and recommended Turtle Wax Express Shine. I called the company and verified that this product DOES contain silicon.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/see-hear/
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 05:59:55 PM »

I did a bunch of cross referencing for cleaners and polishes for the UV cured poly finishes on the Taylor, Larrivee lines (and most others that are production models). Many references to UV cured poly lead to European piano finishes and maintenance. A great number of all suggested products recommend Meguiar's mirror glaze #17 for cleaning and removing small swirls and scratches. When I looked into it further I found it is a clear plastic cleaner. Meguiar's recommends their #18 mirror glaze detailer for daily or frequent upkeep, the # 17 for deep cleaning followed by #10 polish. Good luck finding this stuff at stores though, they are professional use products, but cheap enough if ordered from Meguiar.

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 06:11:20 PM »

here's the link to Meguiar's mirror glaze products:
http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Professional%20(Mirror%20Glaze%20Brand)>Clear%20Plastic%20Care&sectionID=34101

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 06:52:41 PM »

Meguiar's products are available at most auto stores but usually not every one of their products. An automotive refinishing supply store will likely have anything you need, including answers to any questions you may have concerning silicon. Silicon is not just problematic for guitar refinishing, it can cause problems with repainting car finishes to.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
zoeieio

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 08:12:47 PM »

Are the Meguiars plastic cleaner/polish safe for the satin finish Larrivee's. thanks
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 09:05:21 PM »

Are the Meguiars plastic cleaner/polish safe for the satin finish Larrivee's. thanks

No polish is safe for satin finished guitars; once a guitar is polished it's no longer satin by definition. What result are you looking for? If it's just to clean, use a warm, slightly damp rag on the finished surfaces (but not on bare wood).

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 09:17:18 PM »

Any of those polishes will make your satin finish shiny. If you want to keep your satin finish satin just clean with a damp cloth or use a product like Martin guitar polish, which is really just a water based cleaner, it is not an actual polish. As a matter of fact that goes for a gloss finish also. The only reason to use a polish is to remove scratches in a gloss finish. And as far as wax goes, I would not recommend it. It won't hurt the gloss finish but it is really not necessary, the finish on your guitar will protect it better than anything you might apply to it. And waxing it is not going to protect it from getting scratched. We wax our cars to protect them from the elements like acid rain, chemical fallout, salt on winter roads or in coastal areas, your not going to use your guitar outside in inclement weather so it just isn't necessary. I would add though that body perspiration can have a bad effect on guitar finishes and it is best to wipe your whole guitar down after playing it, including the strings.
The two main ingredients in Martin guitar polish are White Mineral Oil and Processed Castor Oil.

Roger

zoeieio

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 09:29:43 PM »

Thanks for the info. I have hyperhydrosis so my hands sweat. It seems like the only safe method for cleaning is water with an occasional mild detergent. The following comes from the Martin site.

http://www.martinguitar.com/services/faq.html

What type of polish do we recommend using on a satin finish guitar?
Actually, special ‘Martin polish’ is to be used primarily on gloss finish guitars. We do not recommend using the special ‘Martin polish’ on a satin finish instrument, however, it will not harm the guitar. You may notice after time the finish will begin to shine unevenly. To clean the guitar, we suggest using a warm, damp cotton cloth to wipe it down and then a dry cotton cloth to finish drying it off. This will remove harmful chemicals.

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 09:45:11 PM »

Thanks for the info. I have hyperhydrosis so my hands sweat. It seems like the only safe method for cleaning is water with an occasional mild detergent. The following comes from the Martin site.

http://www.martinguitar.com/services/faq.html

What type of polish do we recommend using on a satin finish guitar?
Actually, special ‘Martin polish’ is to be used primarily on gloss finish guitars. We do not recommend using the special ‘Martin polish’ on a satin finish instrument, however, it will not harm the guitar. You may notice after time the finish will begin to shine unevenly. To clean the guitar, we suggest using a warm, damp cotton cloth to wipe it down and then a dry cotton cloth to finish drying it off. This will remove harmful chemicals.

That blue colored statement is their disclaimer so if you use their polish and rub real hard and your guitar gets shiny spots it's not their fault. As a matter of fact just normal wear like your hand rubbing up and down the neck or you arm rubbing on the top edge is going to make it shiny. I would just use the safe method for cleaning with water with an occasional mild detergent. I used the martin polish on my satin finish and it worked fine but it certainly isn't necessary.

Roger

LawDogStrgsAttach
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 09:58:46 PM »

The video on the Taylor guitar website used and recommended Turtle Wax Express Shine. I called the company and verified that this product DOES contain silicon.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/see-hear/

I hate to criticize, but that has always befuddled me about Taylor.  No doubt silicon is harmful.  To me this is just one more incident of the brainwashing Taylor has over its devotees...no one will question Taylor's tactics.  If you think I am kidding, you will find people defending the Turtle Wax polish for Taylors simply because "Bob said so."  Just go to the AGF and do a search - you will find plenty on this topic there.  Stay away from the turtle wax on your guitars!!!! 

McIlroy AJ30 Sitka/East Indian Rosewood
Petros Walnut Creek Grand Concert
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: