Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to repair scratch marks on satin D-03  (Read 595 times)
zoeieio

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2008, 01:34:33 PM »

I have a D-03R that has surface marks from belt buckles and normal use. No real deep scratchs. I have read about glossing the satin models. However, I want to maintain the satin finish. What is the best product and procedure for removing surface marks without having to refinish the guitar. thanks
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 05:23:56 PM »

I haven't experimented with it but I have polished a satin finish. At one point in the process I realized I really needed to sand the finish more before polishing anymore. When I used the 2000 grit paper the real gloss went away but it wasn't really satin. I would think with some testing you could find the right grit to not scratch the finish but remove the scratches that you want to remove and keep the finish looking the same. Maybe Peter Cree or unclrob have done it. If I had to guess I would try 1000 grit then 600 then 400. If all the scratches are on the back you might want to remove them and go over the entire back with 1000 and call it a day. It might not match the sides and top but no one would probably notice.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
zoeieio

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 12:49:16 AM »

I used 1500 with excellent results. I tried wet but got better results with dry 1500 paper and a light touch following the grain. No circular motion. I only did the back. I hand sanded the entire back with minimal passes, cleaned the surface with a damp cloth, dried the surface with a dry cloth, then repeated until satisfied. It removed all of the scuff marks. I ended up with a nice satin finish. thanks for the help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: