Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does top crack affect tone?  (Read 1037 times)
mibarownwy

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2008, 11:56:17 PM »

I have the opportunity to purchase a l-03bw for a couple hundred under what they've been going for. It had a crack from the bridge to the bottom right next to where the top is glued together. It's been repaired and can not be seen unless you know it is there and the light is just right. It was repaired with hide glue and has small diamonds glued in a couple of spots on the inside under the crack. All the braces are secure.
My question: in your experience does this type of repair affect the tone of the guitar?
Could I still use med strings on it?

Thanks for your input.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 12:41:59 AM »

If it's been properly repaired it should be as good and as strong as new. It just seems it is a little harder to sell a guitar that has been repaired. But if your getting it for a couple hundred less because of the fix and you can live with that I'd say you have nothing to lose.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
NevadaPic

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 01:20:40 AM »

No a top crack does not effect the tone of the guitar in my opinion.  My OM-28V cracked pretty much exactly as you describe.  Following its repair it sounded every bit as good as it ever did.  Subsequently I discovered that I prefer mahogany over rosewood but that's another matter.  I think you'll be alright and the top is probably more stout now than prior to the crack.  It most likely cracked along the weakest line.  Keep it from excessive dryness and you and it will be happy.

Pic   
didymus21
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 02:45:05 AM »

Agreed, the D-03R I have up for sale has a crack that was repaired at the factory.  It sounds no different than the uncracked D-03R's that I've played.

Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005

Previously Owned:
Larrivee L-10 Special Edition, 2002
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997
ElJefe

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 12:14:40 PM »

No a top crack does not effect the tone of the guitar in my opinion.

Neither does a bullet hole. 

Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>
NevadaPic

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 02:23:52 PM »

???
el guitana
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 05:27:51 PM »

I had a Bozo Podunavac classical with a crack as you described. It was cleated. No big deal. Frand Ford at FRETS.COM says that the crack lengthwise in a spruce top is not a threat.
mibarownwy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 06:45:12 PM »

Thanks for the fed-back. I really like the guitar. It has a totally different sound to the mahogany 000-16 that I have. Plus I really like the way Larrivee's play, especially bar chords and flat picking. Probably the larger frets make the difference.
Steve
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 11:07:53 PM »

Having a bad day and taking it out on your guitars Eljefe?? 

Put the gun down and step away from the guitar.......  cop
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 03:38:12 PM »

Bullet hole? That's only if you put the guitar out of it's misery quickly. If you're Willie Nelson, you give it the death of a billion strums.
Oh the answer is, no, btw. Not to humans anyway. Your dog may answer differently.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: