Ever wonder why some yahoos get rid or their guitars so soon after buying them ?

Started by Tony Burns, January 12, 2008, 05:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sometimes i wonder if some of these folks have any brains at all , they buy something and then get rid of it less than a year after they get it . Some of these are wonderful instruments - not even broken in nor are they even open up yet ( their true sound potential has not even been realized yet ) . Ive noticed quite a few recently -  If you dont like the damn thing dont buy it in the first place !

Yes sir, I'll remember that. Sure wish you would have pointed that out sooner.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

A few people just like to swap guitars but I think some people are really fooling themselves. They order some guitar they've never played and when it arrives they of course love it. That last a little while, then for some assuredly important reason they discover they need something different and the cycle continues. There's been a few post I've read where the person is saying how exicted they are that they are getting a certain guitar and I'm thinking "are you kidding? you're gonna sell it just like the last four". 

I kinda feel that way about my L-05ME (all Mahogany) ...Why did I ever buy it????
was it the price??? or did I think it looked good??? did it sound sweet???
Should I sell it and look for another guitar that is better???

*NOT*

Get Out of Town
I would not sell it on my life
it's ma baby  :bowdown:

It has a home for as long as I live :thumb
:humour:
" It's all about the Journey "

Proud Member:
"I Ain't Go'n Down That Road Feelin Bad No More" Society

I agree it doesn't make sense; however, I can't speak for all lefties, but we are pretty limited with guitars options.  I can't walk into a shop and spend an afternoon playing and then pick my favorite.  So, I buy guitars that I haven't played before, EVER.  I get the guitar I want, but sometimes I get something I didn't want...it's just the way it is.  The past couple years have been a transition for me and fortunately, I'm at the point where I have a great mix.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Well, just because you don't understand something does not mean it does not make sense. I bought an OM thinking that would be the perfect thing for me. Not having played seriously, I found out it was on the large size for me and when I found a parlor and fell in love with it 3 months later.....no need for two guitars.....so I sold the OMV....it is pretty simple logic actually and makes complete sense.

Tammy

To each thier own.  I ain't gonna be concerned about what someone else does. Just makes more guitars available at a discount.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Why are some folks irritated by something that really doesn't impact them personally?

You know, some guys play golf, some guys have a boat or motorcycles, or hot rods, or they play the horses, or they buy and sell antiques... chase women.... I don't pursue those hobbies, I buy and trade off guitars for my hobby. 

Sorry if that offends you, but as long as I'm not asking you for money why does that bother you so much?

yahoo

I was just reading on another forum where somebody bought a 1930 Martin on EBay for 3.75 million. I sure hope HE likes his guitar.

More to the point of this thread, I kind of agree with rbpicker. If this is how one chooses to pursue his pleasure, why should anyone give a rat's patoot?

Some people don't have the luxury of having a music store anywhere near them, their only option is to buy on-line. Sometimes it doesn't work out for them so they sell and try something else. If their not complaining, neither should anyone else.
Roger

QuoteSome people don't have the luxury of having a music store anywhere near them, their only option is to buy on-line. Sometimes it doesn't work out for them so they sell and try something else. If their not complaining, neither should anyone else.

That's certainly true for many of us in the UK. If buying a guitar from the US returning it isn't really an option.

~Lynn :guitar

Jefeism #22- "For many, the exitement is in the wanting and not in the getting"
Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>

If you don't swap around to see whats out there, then you are just settling for what you have.... and thats fine.  However, some have a more trained ear than others and require a change (sometimes more than once) to get the sound they are looking for.  Larrivee is a fine guiutar and I have a couple, but I also have some very high end boutique guitars that would stick around before I would let the Larri's stick around.  If given the ultimatum, I would keep the H&D, SC and others and let the Larri's go.  To each their own.  This is especially true if you have a real case of GAS!!!!  It doesn't make the rest of us Yahoo"s!!!!!! Thanks!
:cheers
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

"yahoos"  -  I don't need no stink'n "yahoos"  :roll
Larrivee RS-4 GoldTop
G&L S-500 BlueBurst

Quote from: thistle on January 13, 2008, 09:13:21 AM
That's certainly true for many of us in the UK. If buying a guitar from the US returning it isn't really an option.

Lynn, over on the Guild forum their is a gentleman from New Zealand that bought a guitar from the US and the shipping was going to be over $600.
Kind of makes shipping from here to the UK not seem so bad, huh.
Roger

I've wondered about this myself, buying an expensive guitar only to sell it soon thereafter. I almost had to sell/trade my absolute favorite guitar (SD-50) after having it less than a year due to another shoulder injury. I still might have to trade someday and it's good to know that there are lots of folks willing to trade their equally new guitars.
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on January 13, 2008, 08:50:21 AM
Some people don't have the luxury of having a music store anywhere near them, their only option is to buy on-line. Sometimes it doesn't work out for them so they sell and try something else. If their not complaining, neither should anyone else.

:+1:

Ruben

Life's a buffet.

You pick something up, don't like it? Spit it out and try something else.
If it sounds good, it is good.

QuoteKind of makes shipping from here to the UK not seem so bad, huh.

Yeah, I've had guitars shipped priority USPS and paid a little over $100, or £50 GBP, which is not much at all! UPS and DHL costs a lot more. UK import taxes and VAT will get you though - I'll bet they have high ones in NZ too.

~Lynn :guitar

I have found it to be true that in general most people are not happy with what they have.  This could mean their house, spouse, body, boat, car, job, kids, general status in society and guitars.  The list could go on and on.  I've also noticed that people think that if they change these things, especially the one bugging them the most at the time, that their life and more importantly their happiness will finally be complete.  This never works, but we fool ourselves into giving it one more shot again...and again...and again...until 6 of our buddies are carrying us in a box to a hole. 

I used to have this problem in most areas of my life, and I'm happy to say that much of it has been solved.  I'm still working on some of it, but I do believe that I will achieve as near perfect contentment as I can in time, if given that time.  The key for me was to change my attitude and the way I look at life in general.  A big part of this cannot be openly talked about on the forum, because it deals with religion.  Daily doses of my sig line are still needed, but I'm getting there.

Some may dismiss this post as simplistic, overly idealistic or pie-in-the-sky, but I can tell you with absolute honestly and sincerity that I've never been a happier person in my life than I am now.  And this is coming from a person who was miserable most of his life.

For what it's worth. 

:wave