Larrivee goes electric and PRS goes acoustic...what wrong w/this world????

Started by Blue in VT, January 22, 2008, 12:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well whatever your thoughts about LArrivee going electric are... (:mad: :yak: :angry:) I find this just as surpising....if not more so....PRS acoustics...crazy....they look pretty nice though....on the surface.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/prsguitars/sets/72157603733599176/
What ya think?

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

They look pretty, but looks don't count if they don't have the mojo.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

OK so I guess that the sun will rise in the west,cats and dogs will be living together in bliss,it will start snowing in Miami?????? :arrow
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Just as Larrivee has made electrics in the past, PRS has made acoustics.  I don't care for the looks of the Larrivee electrics, haven't seen the PRS acoustics,but I don't care for PRS guitars any longer anyhow.
00-05 SH, '73 Hernandez Classical, Taylor 314

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=770687

it just seems odd to me that an all acoustic outfit like larrivee is trying to braoden their bass by jumoing into the electric market....while an all electric outfit like PRS is doing just the opposite...weird eh?

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170

That's one weird looking bridge.  Almost like they tried to translate the tune-o-matic into an acoustic bridge.  J
http://www.notableguitars.com
My guitars:

Larrivee OM-50
Fender Strat
Larrivee OM-03MT

The bridge in out there but boy I love the slight sunburst on the top !
Jim Holler
Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com

Quote from: Blue in VT on January 25, 2008, 10:29:34 AM
it just seems odd to me that an all acoustic outfit like larrivee is trying to braoden their bass by jumoing into the electric market....while an all electric outfit like PRS is doing just the opposite...weird eh?

Blue

I bought my first electric after decades of acoustic only and I know another baby boomer considering his first electric. Then there's the posts I read on Tele and PRS forums where electric players are interested in their first or first good acoustic. It all makes sense to me.

That said, I appreciate the component quality selected for the Larrivee electrics, but the look doesn't do much for me or at least yet.

BTW, I was looking at some NAMM pics on another site and it appears that Breedlove is doing the electric thing as well this year.  Have they ever done that before?
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Personally, I prefer the design that Dana Bourgeois offered to PRS for the first acoustic prototypes commissioned back in 1990:

Those were the first JOMC (Jumbo OM Cutaway) models that Dana built, a guitar that he continues to make today. By 1997 (when my JOMC was built) he was getting pretty good at it  :bowdown:

Ron

The PRS neck inlay actually looks better on an acoustic than it does on the electrics, to me, anyway.  It looks really nice on on that guitar.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: Blue in VT on January 25, 2008, 10:29:34 AM

I think it's a sign of what's happening in the guitar market. Sales are slowing and each company is looking to branch out for more opportunity to sell guitars.

Jim

Quote from: jwsamuel on January 26, 2008, 10:02:57 AM
I think it's a sign of what's happening in the guitar market. Sales are slowing and each company is looking to branch out for more opportunity to sell guitars.

I agree that this must be the case but they all seem to be jumping on the same band wagon...its hard for me to believe that PRS thinks they can compete with Martin, LArrivee, Taylor...etc on acoustic guitars....and ditto for Larrivee competeing with electrics...stick with what your good at!

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170

The acoustic market has been very strong for quite some time, and anyone who rides waves has to realize that they don't go on forever.

My feeling is that any one of these companies are capable of making a top notch product, electric or acoustic. And I don't think they are going after the general market for their new offerings. A certain percentage of those who have invested in top of the line instruments over the last decade or so, and has settled on "their brand", is likely to have the disposable income and desire to add one of these new products to their stable.

Larrivee are coming up to the 100k mark on acoustic instruments and have pretty much set them self in a place where their market position (low-middle of the road) and share (?%) isn't likely to change much. If they could sell 500~1000 high end electric instruments in the next couple of years it certainly wouldn't hurt their bottom line.
Ron

I think snow did fall in Miami in the last couple of months.

Larrivee and PRS will do fine with their new lines.  They have brand loyalty and a distribution channel. A larrivee guy may try an electric from Larrivee.  A PRS guy looking for an acoustic may try the PRS acoustic.  I assume the neck profiles are similiar in the respective brands.

It may not become a block buster hits but it does put their brand in areas where many were not aware. 

Beginner with GAS -
Larrivee OM-03R, Tokai Rosewood Tele, Washburn OE-30,
Fender 'Wayne's World' MIJ Squire Strat;
Larrivee Mahogany Parlor;
Jeff Sigurdson- Spruce top Classical