B-band pickup

Started by nomad, January 09, 2008, 03:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have the B-band pickup on my LV-03-RE and I'm not really happy with it tone wise. Does the K&K  have a better sound in most peoples opinion? Do you need a pre-amp with the K&K and will I need a standard or a mini for my guitar. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Hi Nomad. I had a b-band in my D-05.  The sound was OK, but the b string always sounded hot, it over-emphasized string squeaks, and the overall output was very low. I switched to K&K and have never looked back. Wonderful natrual tone and more resistant to feedback than I expected. I now have K&K minis all my gigging guitars.

As for Mini vs Regular size: Get the mini.  K&K now recommends using the mini pickups on all guitars.  They recently (two years ago?) redesigned the mini and improved the output, and now recommend it over the "regular" size for all guitars.

The K&K sounds best through the K&K preamp, such as the Pure (89$US) or the Pure XLR(150$US).  You don't HAVE to use a premap, and it will sound great without one.  Many, many people don't use one.  If you are really picky about your tone, you should try one and see.

If your D-03RE has a barndoor onboard preamp for the b-band, I'm not sure what to tell you. It will NOT work with K&K picups.  B-band and K&K preamps are very differnt. If it were me, I'd probably pull the b-band out, try to sell it, and have a luther patch the hole as best he can. Or round it out and you'll have a Sound Port.   Or you could just clip the wires and leave the preamp there.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com