Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acoustic Amps?  (Read 1979 times)
hovikmx

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2008, 06:40:45 AM »

I'm considering getting an acoustic amp...any suggestions on them? my price range is 300-600...and i do both small and big rooms.

Larrivee D-09e
Takamine EG15SC
whiskeyjack

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 07:19:01 AM »

There are a LOT of nice acoustic amps out there these days.  You're gonna' hear about the following brands:
Ultrasound
Genz Benz
AER
Marshall
Fishman (Loudbox series)
Strawberry Blond
Trace Elliot
Fender (Acoustasonic series)
Schertler (David)
Crate
Peavey
Roland
and...others.

Best to do a search on the forum if you haven't already.  Also, look at Harmony Central for reviews on the models you might be interested in.

I used to have an Ultrasound DS3 which sounded very good: 60 watts.  I also had a Marshall AS50R which was also very good.  The best acoustic amp I've ever owned was the Genz Benz Shenandoah Delux Pro 200 (stereo) but was entirely too heavey at 75 pounds.

Your choice of amps will depend a little on what you intend to do with it.  Will you need an XLR input to sing through?  Will you ever need the amp to support an extension speaker?  Do you need DSP effects?  How many watts?  What kind of on board pickup do you have?  How much weight are you willing to carry with one arm?

The Ultrasound series is hard to beat for sound, weight, value and features.
Genz Benz, in my opinion, is as good in sound, value and features but it's a little heavier series of amplifier.

I like the availability of DSP effects on independent channels (not that I use ALL of them).  So I like to tweak the guitars' voice with one effect to bring out its character without coloring it too much.  And I also like to try to color my voice with effects a little to hide the warts.  But you won't find very many amps that'll have independent DSP on each channel unless you're willing to pay $750 and upwards.

The Genz Benz Shenandoah 60 is a really good amp for the money.  The Ultrasound DS4 is also in your price range but I wonder if you'd be better off with a Fishman Loudbox 100 or so which is nearing the top of your price range.  I've never tried one of those but I hear very good things about them.

Good luck.

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.
Bltprf502

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 12:59:58 PM »

I have an Ultrasound and love it!  I looked at several before i bought and this was the one for me.

A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?
runner2002

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 04:02:57 PM »

There's an Ultrasound AG50D3 for sale on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum for a decent price.  I have one of these and it's a great little acoustic amp. I have no connection with the seller on the UMGF. 

Phil
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 06:05:54 PM »

Copy of my prev post to a similar question: I have a Ibenez Troubadour (decent little acoustic for the money), and a Fishman Loudbox performer. Sold my Ultrasound to get the performer. Tri-amped PA/combo, excellent clarity for vocal and acoustic 2 pre outs, and 1 DI mix (stereo blend) out too with XLRs. Great patch thru for boards and use as a monitor or a stand alone 2 channel 130w with phantom and phase control/feedback elimination. Super clean sound, just a few simple effects. A little pricey but turn the mids down and get some of the clearest acoustic sounds available (IMHO).

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Chuck40

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 02:00:43 AM »

My wife played Santa in a big way and bought me a Fishman Loudbox 100 for Christmas a few weeks ago. So far, it is a great piece of gear. I play mostly at a small church, so this is the perfect amp for me - it is powerful enough to use without sending a line to the small PA we use, is light to carry back and forth (23 lbs.) and sounds really, really good. Very good reproduction.
It has two channels, with XLR outputs from each for separate lines to a PA system, effects, and effects loops for both channels. It ran just over $600 at the local dealer in my area (I checked it out awhile back, and my wife paid attention when I talked about it!).
I'd put in a wholehearted recommendation for the Fishman amps.
Nort

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 11:57:28 PM »

I have one of the early Fender Acoustasonic SFX amps, at the time I wanted an amp that gave me the option to have a mic on the
other channel for vocals, because I did'nt have a regular p.a., and was only playing small rooms mostly solo.
It has worked well for me, I don't use alot of the effects, although they're fun to play around with, also I don't play at high volume.
I'm running a Baggs Ibeam active in my acoustics.
I've heard good things about the Genz Benz, AER, SWR amps.

My wife says I can buy, sell swap guitars and cars as much as I want...
as long as I don't start swapping wives... sounds like a good deal to me.
jimmyp

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 10:32:53 PM »

The Crate Gunnison is a great lightweight 60 watt acoustic amp. The PA is very loud, it has great effects, and is pretty inexpensive. JP

Do3R, PavanTP20, 64 Melody Maker, 4or5 Teles, Godin SA, Carter SD10, Regal Reso,OM03RE,MIM Strat, Tak SC132
ralderson

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 04:18:45 AM »

Traded in my Roland AC-60 on a Fishman Loudbox 100 about three months ago. IMHO outstanding. I've never had so many compliments on my sound. For me, just a great clean amp that finds its own place in the mix even when playing with keys and/or electric guitars. Seems to have been made for my Larrivee.
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 02:00:06 AM »

I use a Fender Acoustasonic Junior amp and it seems to be a pretty good and dependable amp. Easy to dial in. I recently went to my favorite Mexican Food restaurant and there was a Mexican group (3 guitars, vocals and percussion) all playing through a Peavey stereo mixer and then into the two channels of the acoustasonic junior. They were playing outside and although they were not trying to produce concert hall levels, there was a nice volume and tone from the amp, even outside.

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 03:28:38 AM »

Traded in my Roland AC-60 on a Fishman Loudbox 100 about three months ago. IMHO outstanding. I've never had so many compliments on my sound. For me, just a great clean amp that finds its own place in the mix even when playing with keys and/or electric guitars. Seems to have been made for my Larrivee.
What pickup do you have on your Larrivee?

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Rreitzel

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 11:19:06 AM »

Ultrasound, no question. Go try one and you'll hear why.
dfang888

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2008, 04:56:13 AM »

I just purchased an Ultrasound AG30 and I'm very pleased with the way it sounds.   

Then again, I was using a Peavey Minx 110 Bass Amp beforehand.   whistling

2008 Larrivee LV-10E "Faith"
1997 Yamaha FGX-412C
1980 Epi A-12
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008, 08:04:58 AM »

I have a Rivera Sedona that I bought used.  It's a tube amp so it's pretty up there in terms of price, but worth the money.

As for 300-600 range.  There are too many choices. Buy the one that you like.  I think the acoustasonic is a good amp.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print