Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strap Question  (Read 2064 times)
aboss

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2007, 10:06:24 PM »

Hey all...

I have a question about straps for those of you know know more about these things than I do. (Which i'm sure is pretty much everyone here  bigrin )

Anyway, Up to now i've been using a cheap, really thin, adjustable leather strap made by levis. One of those ones with the thick part at the bottom and the thinner piece at the top, which I tie to the headstock just above the nut. I have major reservations about anyone drilling holes in my guitar... so I've opted not to get a strap button installed. I'm a pretty tall guy, and my problem is that when i'm playing (while standing, which is at least once a week) the thin part of the strap falls across my shoulder instead of the thick part, so it's terribly uncomfortable. SO Santa Claus brought me a new strap this christmas, and it's made of better suede-type leather and the whole length is full-width.

However, i have two problems. My larrivee has the factory-installed B-Band pickup (that used to come on the 03 series)... so it has an HUGE endpin because of the jack from the pickup... and i'm having major trouble getting the strap on the pin properly. It took me a long time to get it on at all, and even now that it's on it is bending the end of the strap all wierd... cause the whole in the end of the strap is way smaller than the pin. Has anyone encountered this before?

My other problem is that because i tie my strap to the headstock, it's annoying to take the strap on and off when i'm putting it in the case (which is every day)... bu the new thicker strap has a length adjustment buckle, so it won't sit nicely behind the guitar like the old think one did (which didn't have a buckle in the middle). I know its not really a big deal, its just annoying to have to take it on and off all the time... so does anyone have a solution? For those people who keep their straps on all the time, how do you place them in the case? I used to put the strap straight across the back of the guitar and then bunch all the extra up in the space where the guitar's cutout is.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

aboss

p.s. does anyone know of any straps that work well with guitars that have pickups? i.e. ones with bigger sized holes at the ends? ...I check out my local shop today, and went through at least a hundred straps that all have tiny little holes at the end. hmm...

'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'03 Art & Lutherie Cherrywood
SteveO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 10:37:51 PM »

aboss; Hey.....You have to resize the hole in the strap to fit the end pin....becareful though (or have the guitar shop do it)....as far as the connection at the head stock the make quick releases for those...just pop it off roll up the strap and put it in the case

" It's all about the Journey "

Proud Member:
"I Ain't Go'n Down That Road Feelin Bad No More" Society
Ghosting

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 11:53:43 PM »

I'm sure I don't know more about this then most people here, but I had this same problem with my OM-03E.  I just have a fairly cheap woven strap, and I carefully made the hole larger to fit the end pin.  When I put the guitar in the case I leave it tied to the headstock, but pop it off the end pin and gently roll it up.  It fits nicely in the case just below the headstock.

This may not work with your leather strap.

I've contemplated getting a strap button installed as well, but I too am leary about having someone punch a hole in my guiter  wacko

Cordoba 20TM-CE Ukulele
P-03RSE
OM-03E
D-04
Rainsong Shorty SFT
Seagull Grand
PortHueneme

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 12:26:15 AM »

Two solutions:
1. End Pin, I have a nice Larrivee leather strap and I did not want to cut the hole.
    I soaked the strap end in water, put a "AA" battery in the hole and let the strap dry, the hole is now the right size.

2. I prefer being attached at the headstock too and don't store the strap on the guitar. I bought a nylon dog collar for a small dog. It buckles on and off quickly.

SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 01:26:11 AM »

I have two guitars that don't have strap pins.  I find the Planet Waves quick-release thingie easy and foolproof.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
PortHueneme

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2007, 04:41:27 PM »

I have two guitars that don't have strap pins.  I find the Planet Waves quick-release thingie easy and foolproof.

I forgot about these quick release things, I have a few of them also.
They are easy and quick, I also like that the nylon chord is thinner than the strap and does not intefere with fingering.
I have a friend who had one break however.

SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2007, 04:51:27 PM »

I have a friend who had one break however.

Ouch, that wouldn't be good.

I've had one that I've used for seven or eight years without any problems.

D-03RE
D-03-12

G Man

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2007, 08:00:27 PM »

Even without a pickup in the guitar, larrivee's end pins are huge.  I too cut the hole slightly larger in my strap to accommodate the bigger size.  I can't get comfortable with the strap at the headstock, balance just feels all off to me.  So, I bought a strap button and carefully drilled a very small pilot hole in the treble side of the neck where it meets the body, made a leather washer, and installed the strap button.  Was a little scary, but not really if you have ever used hand tools.  It is just wood after all.

2004 SD-60
2000 Martin OM-21
1973 LoPrinzi LR-15
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 08:44:33 PM »

Whenever I want to put a strap pin in a guitar, I let the store do it.  They can do it in two minutes flat, and i'd rather let them assume the risk!

D-03RE
D-03-12

aboss

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 09:36:43 PM »

Whenever I want to put a strap pin in a guitar, I let the store do it.  They can do it in two minutes flat, and i'd rather let them assume the risk!

...that's kinda my problem. I don't have a store that i trust enough to let them start drilling holes in my guitar.  wacko

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I think i'm going to try widening the whole on the strap slightly so it's a bit easier to get on and off, and try to find one of the planet waves quick-release thingies. Shouldn't be a huge problem.

I actually have one other question... When my strap came, it had the shoelace for tying it to the headstock in the end on the adjustment buckle side. The other end of the strap has a fancy-looking end with the guitar store's symbol on it... so I would assume that end is supposed to go by the headstock, which would put the adjustment buckle behind my back down by the body of the guitar when i'm playing. Otherwise the buckle is sitting out in front of me going up towards the headstock when i'm playing. Is there a  proper way to the put the strap on? (i.e. is there a forwards and backwards?). The guy at the store told me the buckle goes at the bottom end... but that's not how it was when i got the strap. Any suggestions? If there ISN'T a "right" way to do it... which way do you wear your's and why?

thank!

aboss

'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'03 Art & Lutherie Cherrywood
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 11:09:56 PM »

Is there a  proper way to the put the strap on? (i.e. is there a forwards and backwards?).

I've been playing for decades and I still don't know the answer to that!

Here's what I do, and why.  I always put the thick end of the strap toward the neck, and the skinny end toward the end pin.  My reasoning is that you want the wider/thicker part of the strap over your left shoulder (assuming you play right-handed), which is going to bear the weight of the guitar.

Works for me, but I'd be curious to know if others think that's wrong.

D-03RE
D-03-12

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 11:33:09 PM »

Is there a  proper way to the put the strap on? (i.e. is there a forwards and backwards?).
I don't know about proper or right or wrong way of wearing a strap. I have always put the wide end at the bottom end of the guitar and the narrow end that has the string attached to it at the headstock above the nut. The wide part is always on my shoulder. I don't think I could deal with the wide end up near my left hand but I've never tried it. I think whatever feels right to you is what you should do. Be a rebel and attach both ends to the bottom end .  wacko

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
PortHueneme

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 12:22:34 AM »

I don't know about proper or right or wrong way of wearing a strap. I have always put the wide end at the bottom end of the guitar and the narrow end that has the string attached to it at the headstock above the nut. The wide part is always on my shoulder. I don't think I could deal with the wide end up near my left hand but I've never tried it. I think whatever feels right to you is what you should do. Be a rebel and attach both ends to the bottom end .  wacko

I am so confused !!!

On a guitar where I am attached to the headstock I put the fat end on the end pin. I want the thin part of the strap at my left hand. (I am right handed)
On a guitar where there is a strap button on the heel, I put the thin end on the end pin.
With the strap my Mother did some fancy needlepoint work I always put the thin end on the end pin, I want the custom needlepoint to show.

So the bottom line is attach it however you like. Whatever floats your boat, or in this case hold your guitar.

SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: