Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The perfect set of strings?  (Read 1241 times)
hovikmx

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2007, 05:17:33 PM »

ok...i know there isn't the perfect set out there, but maybe you guys can help me out....

i've been using martin sp phosphour bronze lights for a LONG time now...i love how they never break on me and how they sound.....but now that i'm getting a larrivee dread...i don't know i feel like there should be some kind of change....i love the way lights feel...but i know i can get much better tone with mediums (atleast beefier)......is there a middle ground? Not too medium...and not light......

thanks guys...i love this forum by the way!

Larrivee D-09e
Takamine EG15SC
dermot

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 05:27:11 PM »

Ej19's.... 12 -> 56 light/med mixed, called bluegrass set.. but i play fingerstyle....

d.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 06:35:26 PM »

They make actual Light-Medium strings... Not a mix of the two, instead all the strings are between light and medium guage.

Martin SP Light-Medium Strings: String gauge: E - .0125, B - .0165, G - .0255, D - .0335, A - .0435, E - .055

http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/25863

Here's a chart!
MSP-4100 Light .012 .016 .025 .032 .042 .054
MSP-4150 Light/Medium .0125 .0165 .0255 .0335 .0435 .055
MSP-4200 Medium .013 .017 .026 .035 .045 .056

Eric Schoenberg also has light/medium 'Soloist' strings at om28.com

imwjl

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 12:09:50 AM »

Just try different ones. I like and liked EJs and EXPs more than Martins on my D-03 and HD-28. I've only liked 80/20s on my 00-18. I also like DR strings but they are different.
Dude Dad

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 01:54:44 AM »

Just a few more to add to the list above:

Dean Markley Vintage Bronze 12-54 ML
Dean Markley PhosBronze 12-54 ML
Dean Markley Alchemy GoldBronze 12-54 CL
Dean Markley Alchemy GoldPhos 12-54 CL

GHS Vintage Bronze 12-54 L
GHS Bright Bronze 12-54 L
GHS Phosphor Bronze 12-54 L

DR Rare Phosphor Bronze 12-54 M

Snarling Dogs 12-54 ML

In the end only you will know what the perfect set of strings is for you. But it is alot of fun trying different sets.

Larrivee RS-4 GoldTop
G&L S-500 BlueBurst
Joep

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 03:01:13 AM »

What about John Pearse Strings?  How good are they on acoustic guitars?  Which type would you recommend?

Thanks,
Joe

Larrivee OM-05MT
Fstpicker

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 03:30:35 AM »

GHS Lawrence Juber signature "True Mediums" work well:

1) 13
2) 17
3) 24
4) 32
5) 42
6) 56

Notice the high E and B strings, as well as the low E, are all medium guage. The rest (Middle strings) are light guage.

Jeff

Stanford PSD10 (best Martin D-18 copy out there!)
Stanford PSD20
Walden D552 12-string
The Loar LM-400VS Mandolin
SteveO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2007, 04:23:55 AM »

What about John Pearse Strings?  How good are they on acoustic guitars?  Which type would you recommend?

Thanks,
Joe

JP's  Phosphor Bronze, 12's sound great on my Larrivee L-05ME.

although at times, I like to mix up strings, 12's on the High end and 56's on the Bottom end.

" It's all about the Journey "

Proud Member:
"I Ain't Go'n Down That Road Feelin Bad No More" Society
Ghosting

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2007, 04:37:16 AM »

I've been using Elixers (because that was what was on the guitar when I bought it, and I'm ignorant).  How do they compare to those already mentioned?

PS.  How long do I need to keep adding donuts as a newb?

Cordoba 20TM-CE Ukulele
P-03RSE
OM-03E
D-04
Rainsong Shorty SFT
Seagull Grand
SteveO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2007, 07:13:26 AM »

PS.  How long do I need to keep adding donuts as a newb?

Untill the Boss sez to stop

" It's all about the Journey "

Proud Member:
"I Ain't Go'n Down That Road Feelin Bad No More" Society
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 01:10:50 AM »

Thanks,
Joe

For me, Pearse Phos. Bronze is sort of my default.  My Taylor 422 (maple/spruce smallish body) is light gauge (the same goes on my Breedlove C25 travel guitar), my (mahogany/spruce) Larrivee Parlor is bluegrass gauge (a walnut jumbo I had was the same), my Breedlove 12 string is lights.  I have a rosewood 000 built by a local fellow which gets Pearse 80/20 lights. 

So I guess I'd say Pearse is about as close to perfect as it gets.  After that, it's figuring out which set a given guitar responds best to.

Ed
Novalis

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 05:10:40 PM »

Thanks,
Joe

I've tried just about every common brand/type of acoustic strings over the years, lots of trial and error, and John Pearse are the all-around best string I've come across. These are the only strings I use these days on my acoustic instruments.

I think (although I could be wrong) that the tension is just slightly greater than other brands of strings. I never liked the sound of light gauged strings until I tried a set of John Pearse lights out of necessity (my ladder-braced guitar can't handle anything heavier than lights) and I was pleasantly surprised.

I've also tried the GHS Lawrence Juber set mentioned by Fstpickr. For some reason unknown to me, these strings feel really, and I mean incredibly nice on the fingers. Nice bright, bell-like quality, perfect for DADGAD and open D, although I prefer the Pearse "new mediums" because they feel like they have a little more tension.

Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3
aboss

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 09:53:46 PM »

I've been searching for the perfect stings for a long time too...

You know how we have all those sound-clip samples of the larrivee models? ...it would be cool if we could set up the same kind of thing, but different sets of strings on the same guitar. I know it wouldn't be perfect since very guitar reacts differently to every type of strings, but it'd give you a frame of reference of what kind of strings to try, right? We use the guitar sound clips even thought every guitar is just a little bit different too, right? Hmm...

aboss

'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'03 Art & Lutherie Cherrywood
PortHueneme

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 10:54:26 PM »

I believe you just got to play them. Not only will you get different sound, but they may feel and wear differently as well.
A few years ago I participated in a string survey. We were sent several sets of strings and instructed to put them on and play every day.
At the same time we were to complete a log with several questions and make our own observations. A month later were sent a few more sets.
I was not told what brands I was sent until the end of the survey. The survey was four months and four brands long.

Keeping the log was a royal pain, but it really made me conscious of string differences.
If you are going to try different strings (and I do recomend doing so) you may also want to keep a log.
There may be some trade offs, price or life for example.
I also suggest revisiting a string as our ears and guitar do change.

SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes
Daysailer

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 12:25:52 AM »

Best Acoustic Guitar strings...

Newtone Masterclass,   pick you guages.

Nothing else comes close.  Wish that they were a bit easier to get and a few cents cheaper.

ds

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: