Your Thoughts And Opinions Wanted...

Started by sawdustdave, July 01, 2004, 02:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which, for a group of guitar folks, ought not to be too difficult.

I'm gassing. (I know, we all are!) I have a wonderful Martin Jumbo, 16 series in Walnut at home. An S&P folk in my garage workshop. A remarkable Larrivee LV-03R here at the office. I need(?) a guitar for the pickup truck - one I can take around to parks, etc. over lunch. The S&P usually fills that role. But, of late I've been wondering about a Larrivee Parlor, one of the "old" ones. Satin with a gig bag seems most appropriate. I'm not interested in Maple - as a woodworker I love the wood, but for a guitar I'd prefer something else. But, what? Rosewood? Mahagany? What IS Blackwood?

And, should I just use the S&P? After all, I already have bought 2 guitars this year, and I'm a singer, not a guitarist. Then, of course, there are the intangibles - the wife, bills, etc. How to prioritize...

Life is difficult, isn't it? What do YOU think?

Thanks!

Dave
Dave

Martin JC-16WE
Larrivee OM-03D
Walden C2010
Taylor GS-Mini Hog

Dave,
A nice Koa Larrivee Parlor would make for a tasty lunch!
You can't ask us knuckleheads here about whether or not you should get another guitar. The answer is now and will always be, a resounding YES!

Koa or Blackwood , even maple would make a nice portable Parlor...Ive been unsold on Rosewood for a small body guitar... it just compress's the sound to much.. in a larger body guitar rosewood'd overtone's and complextity sound great. but not in a parlor IMHO..robb
Martin 000-15s
Martin 000-28EC
 Ibanez Jetking1
 Ibanez Classical

What the others said,  ... ditto.

The only thing I would add is that if this is a guitar for your pickup, get a good case. Don't rely on the gig bag.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

SawDustDave, have you told your wife about your L 03R yet? Surely this is your next hurdle.  Myself I would go for a parlor and still have a hankering for one.  BTW the L -03 koa was even better than I had hoped.  If only I could get off the computer and start practicing.  
(have you thought about a forum guitar... not for the pick up but maybe for the dog-house!)

...Why do think he keeps the "L" at the office!!! He's a pretty smart guy, that SawDustDave.
You're in with the right group here, Dave. We feel your pain, oh boy...do we!
Charge it!
--Fred

Larrivee parlor in a gig bag for your pickup truck??? :blink:

I don't think you'll own it for too long if you keep it in your truck, plus the temps can get pretty hot in a closed vehicle during the summer months.

For portability, volume, and tone you can't beat the parlors, specially the satin ones! :P  

P.S. If you get one, pony up for the HSC.
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Dolphingirl - she stopped by the office for lunch Tuesday, and it was sitting out on it's stand. She saw it. I didn't say anything, nor did she. I think it was a mutual "Oh, I see" moment...

A parlor would follow me around, and I'm aware of the weather up here in NE Wisconsin - too cold or too hot, with not much middle ground. The S&P has survived nicely without being too well taken care of, and it's got a soft cedar top.

I like the way the parlors look with the smaller size and 12-frets to the body. Really helps the look of 'em.

Dave
Dave

Martin JC-16WE
Larrivee OM-03D
Walden C2010
Taylor GS-Mini Hog

QuoteWhat IS Blackwood?
This was such a great invitation, I was waiting for some of the wags on the forum like orsino and unclrob to pick up on it. C'mon guys, you let me down.

Blackwood (BW) is variously called Australian BW, Tasmanian BW, Victorian BW, BW Acacia and even black wattle. It is a member of the Acacia family (Acacia melanoxylon) and is native to Australia and New Zealand but grows in many other places, including Africa, India, Hawaii and the continental US, especially California. It is closely related to the other great Acacia tonewood, Acacia koa, and can resemble it quite a bit in both appearance and tone. The wood itself is not black although there can be dark streaks in it; however, the bark of the tree is very dark and this is where it gets its name. If koa and blackwood are thought of as being between mahogany and rosewood in a tone continuum, blackwood would be slightly closer towards the rosewood range than would the typical koa.

It is not at all the same as another great tonewood, African Blackwood, Dalbergia melanoxylon, which is a member of the rosewood family. African blackwood has very dark or black wood and is commonly used to make woodwinds such as fine clarinets, oboes, english horns, bassoons and piccolos.

Australian blackwood makes for a great guitar but has been used to any great extent only by Larrivee and the Australian guitar maker Maton. Good blackwood tonewood is supposed to be somewhat rare, although it is a common tree and is considered a weed in much of Australia.

Do a search under blackwood on this forum and you will find enough reading to last into next year.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom