00-50/Music Emporium

Started by GA-ME, December 22, 2007, 06:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, I'm in Boston with the fiance to visit her family for the holidays and thought it was a good idea to traipse over to Lexington to The Music Emporium. I figured I'd  check out their selection. BIG,BIG MISTAKE! They have a 00-50 that was there, last year around New Years, when I last visited the store. Last year it didn't do much for me. It was tight and to focused on trebles and had what I thought to be a too weak bass response. It's as if a year of people plucking it have transformed it into a different instrument! The bass is more pronounced and the over all sum total of the instruments voice has really blossomed. It made me see why people assert that Larrivee really does mahogany well. The top is really starting to go all pumpkin and it is lovely. I played that thing through several tunings and two hours disappeared. Then the salesman came over and I must say offered a very good price to move it. Not much above what I'd been seeing on E-Bay used. It has pretty decent action with plenty of saddle left and the neck relief was right on. Man, somebody from the area needs to go buy that guitar beforeI'm carrying it home as a little sister to my 000-60. I have been pretty successful keeping GAS at bay because, I have a small builder in Canada I've been talking to  who builds some sweet 00 style guitars in claro walnut and red spruce.  We are really close on our price points and I think if we keep talking we'll find the right combinations of choices to meet on the price of the instrument. Connundrum: hand built one off 00 in a year or so or a 00-50 in hand? The instrument is clean. It only has a few slight swirls on the pickgaurd......essentially mint as far as I'm concerned. Dang somebody please go BUY THAT GUITAR! Seriously, the shop staff was superb and unobtrusive. They let me have at it for a LONG time. I truly wish (GAS notwithstanding) that there was a shop such as this in my tiny home state of Delaware. I don't know if I'll be leaving Boston with  this box or not. Okay, I can do this...... Hi my name is Jon. GAS has made my life unmanageable.............

Good story.  BTW, what does GAS mean?  I've been around a lot of forums and never caught that one.  :beer

If I had the money, I'd buy it today.  Unfortunately, that ain't the case.
Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.

Quote from: sugardawg34 on December 22, 2007, 07:55:43 PM
Good story.  BTW, what does GAS mean?  I've been around a lot of forums and never caught that one.  :beer

Guitar Acquisition Syndrome (or Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

Here is the classic clinical explanation (by Dr. Walter Becker of Steely Dan):

http://www.steelydan.com/gas.html
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: Tycho on December 22, 2007, 11:27:26 PM
Guitar Acquisition Syndrome (or Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

Here is the classic clinical explanation (by Dr. Walter Becker of Steely Dan):

http://www.steelydan.com/gas.html

Ahhh.  I think I've had that before.  Sometimes it hits me right after buying a guitar, which is the opposite of what you would expect.  But my collection has actually been getting smaller lately, though I still like to modify them.

hah, weird how small the world is... i actually live in Lexington and bought my Larivee at the Music Emporium

Cheers to the Music Emporium here in the Arlington/Lexington area outside of Boston (I'm in Arlington).
It's truly an amazing shop and GA-ME is right – the staff there is fantastic and knowledgeable and let you really hang out with the guitars.
Great selection of Larrivees and others...
Well worth checking out if anyone from the forum is visiting the area.
Gorgeous shop.
But be warned: it can give you serious GAS.

Might have to go check out this 00-50 ...

cheers,
Devin

dwils, my fiance is from Arlington. Graduated Arlington High in fact. Bet she never guessed she'd hike the Appalachian Trail and get all sweet on a Delaware native along the AT and end up in grad school at UD! I truly love the Emporium. It is a GREAT SHOP full of GREATTTTTTTTTTTTT people. I'm still trying to hold off on ordering that 00. Its getting harder to resist since I sent my 000-60 back to Oxnard for service though.