Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Setup Question - Bone Saddle/Medium Strings  (Read 770 times)
Alpione

Ignore
« on: December 20, 2007, 11:45:20 PM »

Hey all..

I've got a bone saddle ordered for my new L-03R.  I'm also considering moving to medium strings on it.  I've played with mediums before on my Taylor 110, and the difference in sound compared to the lights is impressive. 

I'm going to get the guitar professionally setup when the saddle arrives, and I'm trying to decide if I should go to mediums at that point or have them restring it with the lights to see how just the saddle change affects sound.  Never had a bone saddle before and hear it can do good things. 

If I go with the lights, will I need to get it re-setup before I change to mediums myself, or will it be alright?

Anyone with experience with mediums on an L-03R?  I've traditionally been a picker/strummer but am working on fingerstyle now.  Will the mediums make that more difficult or give me less volume while fingering?

Thanks..

Adam
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 01:59:02 PM »

What strings you use will affect your set up options. I'd experiement with guages and try to decide before set-up. Mediums will pull neck up a bit more plus action can be lower without buzzing with the "tighter" strings.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Larrivee4me

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 03:46:46 AM »

Hi Adam,
   I've replaced tusq saddles with bone on the last few guitars I've owned.  It improved the tone on all of them.  Not like night and day difference but smoother, warmer tone.  Subtle but noticeable.
  I'd go ahead and have the guitar restrung with mediums when the bone saddle is installed.  Make sure they know that you may switch back and forth from mediums to lights.   I've done this myself and can get away with a very slight tweak of the truss rod when changing string gauge. 
You said your L-03 is new. What string brands have you tried so far? 
Novalis

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 06:39:10 AM »

I need to use a different saddle when switching from lights to mediums. Some folks just adjust the truss rod but I worry about intonation issues so I have new saddles cut as needed.  If you have one cut, for example, for mediums with low action for fingerpicking, then switch to lights, you will likely have some nasty buzzing (I just switched from mediums to "new mediums" tuned to DADGAD and needed a new saddle).

Saddles aren't expensive and it's worth it to get the best sound possible from one's instrument.

Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3
Danda74

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 07:59:58 AM »

i ordered a bone saddle, sanded it, and put it in my L-03 myself, switching from lights to mediums in the process, no changes of the guitar necessary whatsoever
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: