Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acoustic Amp Advice  (Read 2001 times)
Folkestone

Ignore
« on: December 17, 2007, 12:23:16 AM »

Hi:

I'm looking for an acoustic amp that I can play around with.
Something from 30 to 50 watts would be fine for experimenting with and playing in pubs with every now and then.

I want something reliable but at the same time won't bankrupt me. 

Any suggestions?  What about the amps with FX?  For guitars such as I have (Larrivee L09 - Guild D55), with preamps, is there a big. diff between an acoustis amp and a combo?

I'd appreciate youir advice.

Jeff
bogie

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 01:17:37 AM »

It's been said here before many a time: ULTRASOUND, ULTRASOUND, ULTRASOUND

The 50W with Phantom Power (so that you can plug in guitar and mic at same time) can be found online for $499.

FIII LS-03 IS/Hog on the way

OM-01 (For Sale soon, anyone interested?)
Republic Guitars Resolian (for slide)
A bunch of harmonicas
skramer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 12:38:08 PM »

I love my Trace Elliott 30w Acoustic Amp.  You can find them on Ebay used from $200 - 400 deppending on condition. Great amp.

Larrivee OM-03RE
Larrivee Parlor P-1
Framus Mahogany Archback Classical (1949)
Gibson Les Paul Standard
LaminateBoy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 04:19:58 PM »

You also might want to try out the new L.R. Baggs Core 1 amp. I think it will be in stores in a few weeks. It is promising to be an exciting development in acoustic amps. Might be a tad expensive, though.

L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster
jimmyp

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »

I use a Crate Gunnison that I am very happy with. Two channels, 60 watts, effects, and the PA part of it is very loud. JP

Do3R, PavanTP20, 64 Melody Maker, 4or5 Teles, Godin SA, Carter SD10, Regal Reso,OM03RE,MIM Strat, Tak SC132
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 12:03:59 AM »

Keyboard combo amps make fine acoustic guitar amps - and you don't have to pay a premium for brown vinyl and tweed grill cloth.   

Ultrasounds are nice also.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Ghosting

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 03:05:36 AM »

I am also looking for a good accoustic amp for both vocals and guitar.  I've done some research on-line, and looked at the Ultrasound, but I'm not sure I want to spend $500.  I went to the local shop today (there is only one closer than an hour to our home  ) and tried out a an Ibanez TA35.  It sounded fine to me, but I don't have anything to compare it to.

First of all, do any of you have experience with this amp, or have comments on clear alternatives?  What more are you getting for the extra cost of an Ultrasound?

I have read in some reviews that when you run two channels through one speaker you sometimes get a more muddy sound.  Is it the second speaker that makes the difference?

Also, the local shop is asking about $80 more for the Ibanez amp than Musicians Friend is.  I would really like to support the local shop, but what is a reasonable price difference here?

I'm on a quest for knowledge.   
-Dan

Cordoba 20TM-CE Ukulele
P-03RSE
OM-03E
D-04
Rainsong Shorty SFT
Seagull Grand
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 04:08:31 AM »

The Roland AC-60 is a really good two channel (mic and guirar) acoustic amp

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-AC60-Acoustic-Chorus-Combo-Amp?sku=480176X

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 07:14:53 PM »

Ultrasound...  period.  Assuming a guitar w/pickup and a mic for vocals (SM-58 or similar, actually Audix OM-5 is my current dynamic vocla mic of choice).  An Ultrasound 50W can be had new for around $500 and used for a little more than half that pretty often.  For a solo AG and voice setup, there is no simpler and better sounding setup (IMO of course.)

Ed
Ghosting

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 08:07:12 PM »

I live in a pretty rural area, so my realistic choices for buying are pretty much a) the local shop (which I like to support), b) some place like MusiciansFriend, and c) eBay.

I'm looking on eBay, and I'm not seeing a lot of Ultrasounds, and they are going at around $400+shipping, which is really more than I want to spend.  That's why I was looking at the Ibanez.  I also found on eBay that the Fender acoustasonic Jr (which seems comparable to the Ultrasonic?) is more readily available at a cheaper price (around $300, including shipping).

I unserstand that a lot of you really like the Ultrasonic, and that it would probably be the best betif I wanted to spend $500, but what am I sacrificuing if I go with one of these other alternatives?

Sorry to be obtuse, but I am ignorant, so I can't help it. 

Cordoba 20TM-CE Ukulele
P-03RSE
OM-03E
D-04
Rainsong Shorty SFT
Seagull Grand
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 10:53:19 PM »

Not to be obtuse myself but it sounds like you're pretty well decided so there's not a lot of sense discussing it.  You asked for advice and people gave it.  Don't be irritated if it isn't what you wanted to hear.  The Ibanez (and Fender) will amplify the guitar.  Of the ones I've tried, the Fender will do a little better of a job at it.  If price is the most important thing then choose the least expensive and get it.  I think I've seen some "acoustic" amps cheaper than the Ibanez or Fender. 

Ed
jimmyp

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 02:50:11 AM »

Again I highly recommend the Crate. I do a duo, sometimes trio with 2 guys that have Shertler Unicos(?). The little Crate more than holds its own, especially vocal wise, and is very loud with great effects, and the ability to hook up external speakers. I am not a Crate fan in general, but the newer acoustic amps are a great buy. JP

Do3R, PavanTP20, 64 Melody Maker, 4or5 Teles, Godin SA, Carter SD10, Regal Reso,OM03RE,MIM Strat, Tak SC132
Michael T
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 05:21:55 AM »

I have a Ibenez Troubadour (decent little acoustic for the money), and a Fishman Loudbox performer. Sold my Ultrasound to get the performer. Tri-amped PA/combo, excellent clarity for vocal and acoustic 2 pre outs, and 1 DI mix (stereo blend) out too with XLRs. Great patch thru for boards and use as a monitor or a stand alone 2 channel 130w with phantom and phase control/feedback elimination. Super clean sound, just a few simple effects. A little pricey but turn the mids down and get some of the clearest acoustic sounds available (IMHO).

08 Larrivee L05-12
02 Larrivee DV-09
73 Granada Custom
Kids got the others  :)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

bluewyatt

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 05:57:21 AM »

i'm moving up to a Baggs A-Ref in a couple of weeks.  i'll be selling my roland AC 60 at a good price.  it's in mint condition and perfect for what you describe. 
Ghosting

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 06:32:21 AM »

Well... I ended up buying a Crate Durango (refurbished).  I tried out a couple others (the Ibanez and a Marshall that a friend of mine had).  In the end, after reading on the on-line reviews, it seemed like the best bang for the buch I could get.  Hope it works out.  It should be here next week, but I'll be out of town until Feb 15, so I guess I'll just have to wonder about it for a while longer.  blush

Cordoba 20TM-CE Ukulele
P-03RSE
OM-03E
D-04
Rainsong Shorty SFT
Seagull Grand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: