Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your recommendations on humidifiers  (Read 1565 times)
BESLC

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2007, 05:29:10 PM »

I have an LV-10 arriving tomorrow. I am hoping to get some feedback on best humidifiers and what you use. I am currently using the Oasis as it is not an open system. I was disappointed when I read that Planet Waves had recalled the humidipak, that sounded like a great system  Since this will be my baby I want to know if there is a better way to care for it. Thank you for your time and comments.
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 05:42:03 PM »

I used to use this Planet Waves humidfier in all my guitars - the one that fits betweent the trings with a hard plastic outer shell and spone inside.  You fill them with a little syringe.  I found that after a year or two, the sponge holds hardly any water.  I was spending $50+ worth of in-guitar humidors everr year.  Plus its a pain in the arse to open the case with case covers and re-fill all thiese every week in five different guitars. My guitars were constantly drying out because I'd forget to refill them.

Now I use one of these: Voranado Vortex Room Humidifier

Fill it every other day and don't worry about it. Wonderful ,well designed, durable product. It's easy to clean once a year, filter elements are cheap, it's quiet, and does the job well. Keeps my music room between 45-50% all winter.  I can keep my guitars out all winter worry free.  Use a good humidifier treatment and you won't get bacteria/mold  build up.  I don't mess with the in-guitar ones any more, but to be safe, I suppose it can't hurt. :)

David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
dannyOsbourne

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 08:06:05 PM »

Try the Zorb-it packs http://www.zorb-it.com. They work almost like the Planet Waves humidipak.
I love it cos it keeps my guitar at a comfortable 47-50% relative humidity

2007 L-03RE
2003 Yamaha F-310
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 08:14:26 PM »

My advice is always: humidfy the room/house not the case/instrument.
Taylor Player

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 08:27:02 PM »

A nice cheap way to humidify your case & guitar is to put one or two small sponges in a baggie or small tupperware container, punch several holes in and let them sit in the case with your guitar. I quit spending $ on store bought ones when I can make 5 or 6 for a fraction of the cost. I check and refill the sponges about once a week here in MN during the winter. My music room is around 28% humidity right now but my cases are always around 45%.

Nice and cheap, just don't soak the sponge, wring it out and put it in the baggie then put in the case by the headstock and you should be fine.

Paul - Loving Life Playing My Guitars

1993 Taylor 612C (aftermarket Highlander UST) *Beauty*
2005 Gibson Advanced Jumbo *Beast*
2006 Larrivee OMV-03 *Larry*
1996 Amelio Burguet Classical *Estaban*
sayheyjeff

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 08:29:37 PM »

Duck

I use a sponge in a travel soap dispenser in the case, a room humidifier, and prayer.  Just curious why you say humidiy the room and not the case.    

jeff

Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 08:34:04 PM »

Duck

I use a sponge in a travel soap dispenser in the case, a room humidifier, and prayer.  Just curious why you say humidiy the room and not the case.    

jeff
How long does that last between 'soakings' ?

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 08:50:48 PM »

Duck

I use a sponge in a travel soap dispenser in the case, a room humidifier, and prayer.  Just curious why you say humidiy the room and not the case.   

jeff
How long does that last between 'soakings' ?
I do both, because some of my guitars are in the case & some are not. I have what is supposed to be a home humidifier for up to 1500 sq ft. It's OK for my music room which is about 12x12. No way does it actually manage my whole condo which is 1250 sq ft.
If it did, I wouldn't get static shocks turning light switches on and off around my home.
 It's a Holmes twin tank. I forget the model number. 3500 series, I think, & I have to refill it every 2 or 3 days.
the sponges stay damp for about 2 weeks.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 12:22:26 PM »

We have two Holmes humidifiers since we married our fortunes together. I have one in use at the moment. Actually I turned it off this morning as it started snowing in the night and the humidity in my room is almost 60% this morning. I never had any luck with any kind of in-guitar or in-case humidifier. Of course, it's difficult to find a drier, more guitar hostile environment than Northern Ontarion in winter. Filling the tanks daily is a bit of a pain but it really works and leaves me confident and at ease. 
Steve
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 03:04:45 AM »

Hunter w/ Bacteriostatic.

bjstrings

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2007, 03:37:06 AM »

At my apt./office I have a Honeywell room humifier, but its a Chinese model and not sold in N. America.  It'll do the rick for the living room/kitchen (open plan), but it takes a while, so I put a pot of water on to boil and raise the RH% up quickly.  At home I just rely on Zorb-its.  They keep things in the 40-51% range. All my cases except the Little martin gigbag get the Zorb-it treatment.  My house has old-fashioned radiators & no basement.  Seems to not dry things out very much (and the music room is poorly insulated and hardly gets above 65 degrees F).; that and no basement keep it damper than my 16th floor apt./office in the city. That's my theory, anyway.

Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.
Thinman

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 05:11:58 AM »

Heres a link to a DIY case humidifier  http://www.thepodium.com/t-makinghumidifier.aspx  I use these, they are good and cheap.
I also  use a Holmes 3500  in my old house,(http://www.bionaire.ca/holmeshm3500.html) it uses 6 gallons of water every 2 days or so.
I have a couple of  those horrible planet waves hard plastic things in the guitar case. If you use distilled water they seem to last well.
The best thing to do, and I read about it on this forum ages ago, is to take your guitar case into the bathroom when you have a shower.
Just open the case and lean it against the bathroom wall. When it's really dry, I take my guitar in too and put it on a stand.
If you humidify the case once a week, it really helps.

All music is folk music, I ain't never heard no horse sing a song
Louis Armstrong

1999 Larrivee OM-01
1981 Larrivee L-09
2005  Larrivee P-05 MT
topographic

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2007, 11:32:35 AM »

http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Holmes-HM-3500

I've used one of these for about three years---no problems at all, and it really puts our the moisture. The humidistat works wonderfully.

"I've suffered for my art; now it's your turn."

My songs:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=236287
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 01:55:05 PM »

http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Holmes-HM-3500

I've used one of these for about three years---no problems at all, and it really puts our the moisture. The humidistat works wonderfully.
Same as mine. I like the humidistat, but no hygrometer. And don't believe the output. This will not hydrate a 1700 sq  ft home. Fine for your music room, though.
G Man

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2007, 12:58:26 AM »

My Martin and the LoPrinzi both have Kyser Lifeguards in the soundhole and the Larrivee has the Oasis, as the large soundhole is too big for the lifeguard.  I also have home made ones that I made out of film canisters with sponges inside in each case near the headstock to keep that area humidified as well.  All case read between 45 and 50%, while my room hygrometer reads as low as the teens in the winter.

2004 SD-60
2000 Martin OM-21
1973 LoPrinzi LR-15
doctor_gogol

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 04:14:35 AM »

Heres a link to a DIY case humidifier  http://www.thepodium.com/t-makinghumidifier.aspx  I use these, they are good and cheap.

I'll second that. The total cost of mine, including sponge and soap case .54¢
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: