When Is It Time To Quit?

Started by bearsville0, December 10, 2007, 10:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/10/arts/music/11zeppelin.html?hp

From tomorrow's NY Times : Led Zepp reunion. First Concert since 1980

Dylan, the Stones etc, Am I the only one who thinks they should do us all a favor and roll over.

If it sounds good, it is good.

I wouldn't care if the other two quit but Dylan put out the best album of 2006. In my opinion 'Modern Times' is a masterpiece.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on December 10, 2007, 11:37:29 PM
Dylan put out the best album of 2006. In my opinion 'Modern Times' is a masterpiece.

Modern Times is a great CD.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on December 10, 2007, 11:39:50 PM
Modern Times is a great CD.

Yes, but it's high time for Dylan to QUIT PERFORMING. His concerts are erratic, unpredictable and often very short. They are an insult to his fans who spend good money to see "a legend." I recently attended a concert where he could only manage about 40 minutes. I've seen 90+ year old bluesmen that can do better!

Contrast that with The Who. Even though they haven't put out much new material, they remain a great  live act and still kick butt (albeit with a much younger Zak Starkey on drums). How do Townsend and especially Daltrey stay so young?
FIII LS-03 IS/Hog on the way

OM-01 (For Sale soon, anyone interested?)
Republic Guitars Resolian (for slide)
A bunch of harmonicas

Quote from: bogie on December 11, 2007, 12:29:40 AM
How do Townsend and especially Daltrey stay so young?

They're really not from this planet.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: jeremy3220 on December 10, 2007, 11:37:29 PM
I wouldn't care if the other two quit but Dylan put out the best album of 2006. In my opinion 'Modern Times' is a masterpiece.

That's good to hear, I'll check it out. I was struggling with Dylan over the last few albums. His voice just seemed to have given up.

Same with Daltry. I expect more than just the emotion and his efforts to sing loud were strained beyond my idea of good music.

Ah ... no. I think they should do what they want and so should you and everyone else. Where's the problem?

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 11, 2007, 06:28:42 AM
Ah ... no. I think they should do what they want and so should you and everyone else. Where's the problem?

It's unbecoming to see 60 year old men trying to sound raunchy.  :tongue:

Quote from: bogie on December 11, 2007, 12:29:40 AM
Yes, but it's high time for Dylan to QUIT PERFORMING. His concerts are erratic, unpredictable and often very short. They are an insult to his fans who spend good money to see "a legend." I recently attended a concert where he could only manage about 40 minutes. I've seen 90+ year old bluesmen that can do better!

Contrast that with The Who. Even though they haven't put out much new material, they remain a great  live act and still kick butt (albeit with a much younger Zak Starkey on drums). How do Townsend and especially Daltrey stay so young?

I'm sure you saw a different concert that I did.

That being said, if old-timers like the Who, Stones, and Zep can go out there and give a performance that their strongest fans would enjoy, then I'm good with that.  It's what they have done their whole life and God Bless them if they still can/want to play.  Go see Buddy Guy or B.B. King, these guys are in their 70's and they are like fine wine, they get better with age.  I'll throw out Clapton and Lynard Skynard as acts that are old-timers that put on a great show.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: bearsville0 on December 10, 2007, 10:21:22 PM

Dylan, the Stones etc, Am I the only one who thinks they should do us all a favor and roll over.

You may not be the only one but I think you may be in the minority.  Nobody is forcing you to watch or listen to these guys.
If you don't care to see these older acts strut their stuff on stage then you should save your money to see the Foo Fighters or some other currently hot acts.   Keep in mind that the Zeppelin concert was a fundraisier for Ahmet Ertegun's memorial education fund.  What's wrong with raisining hundreds of thousands of dollars for a worthy cause while at the same time giving thousands of fans a glimpse of the band that started modern heavy metal music ?   I personally wouldn't, more precisely, couldn't spend the kind of money it takes to see them or the Stones these days.  The fact that so many people can and do spend the money to see them answers the question you pose in your post.

As far as Dylan is concerned, I agree that when you purchase a ticket to see him you take your chances but that's nothing new.    He's always been a hit or miss proposition in live shows.  I've seen him several times.    Often it's been a bit of a dissapointment but other times it's been a mesmerizing evening.  I've never regretted spending my time or money to take the chance.  One evening I saw him team up with Paul Simon to share a concert.  They perfomed a few songs together and I will always remember that night.  I don't know if that opportunity will ever present itself again but I'm glad I got the chance to see and hear it.

What currently hot bands will still be popular in 30 to 40 years ?    I would say very, very few, if any would be able to pack a stadium or concert hall in the year 2037.   Dylan, the Stones, and Led Zeppelin didn't become legends by accident.

Dylan's concerts (and his albums, for that matter) have always been uneven. A good one then a couple of not-so-good ones. Anybody recall that he got booed off the stage at Newport in '65?
Dylan & the Stones have never done reunion tours. They have been on the road all these many years and continue to produce new music. LedZep was the first in 19 years and no new music as far as I know. That is a "reunion".
Nothing quite so "becoming" as far as I can see about what a lot of younger bands are doing on stage these days (or back then either, for that matter) age notwithstanding.
If the concert going public wants to spend their dollar there, who's to stop them?
(As for me, I won't see any show in a venue that holds 22,000 any more.)

QuoteThat's good to hear, I'll check it out. I was struggling with Dylan over the last few albums. His voice just seemed to have given up.

If you didn't like Time Out of Mind and Love and Theft, you won't like Modern Times.

Of those three, I think Love and Theft is by far the best.  It's a great album.  But mileage will always vary on this sort of thing.

I saw Dylan last year and was quite disappointed (though the Foo Fighters opened and were great, so the night was by no means a writeoff).  I saw him in 2004 and he was fantastic.  So as others have said, he can be hit or miss.  It just goes with the territory with him.  People keep going in the hopes that they'll get him on a good night.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

As for reunions, I saw the Police a few weeks ago.  I was never a big fan (saw them in clubs a couple of times in the very early days) but this was a really great show.  They only played old material, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

As long as they can work, let em work.  As long as folks are showing up, let em play.  It's really nobody's business when anyone hangs it up.  I'd love to see Dylan play live, btw.

Quote from: bearsville0 on December 10, 2007, 10:21:22 PM

I'm surprised to hear a musician of any caliber say these types of things. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on December 11, 2007, 06:28:42 AM
Amen!

Out of curiosity and no offense intended, if you had the opportunity to stand in front of any of these legends, in-spite-of their present ability to perform, would you have the nerve to actually ask them to retire for the greater benefit of their fans???  ....Or, for any other reason for that matter?  
I tell ya what, if I could sell tickets @ hundreds of dollars a pop at +60 years old, for just appearing on stage for any matter of time--believe me, I would.  ESPECIALLY, if it was in order to do that which I was most passionate about!  I'd hate to have loved something so much in my younger years only to see it stolen from me by age. 

Larrivee D-09
Washburn D-10S
Framus Classical Archback
Fender Jazz and P-Basses

"Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?" (Eric Idle)
Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero)

Quote from: blued03r on December 11, 2007, 02:50:38 PM

Out of curiosity and no offense intended, if you had the opportunity to stand in front of any of these legends, in-spite-of their present ability to perform, would you have the nerve to actually ask them to retire for the greater benefit of their fans???  ....Or, for any other reason for that matter?  

No offense intended either, but I would tell Dylan his voice sounds awful and he should give it up.... but thanks for the memories. Same goes for Roger Daltrey. I like what Plant is doing with Krauss. That's my idea of being a fine wine.

But like some folks have already stated, If people go and spend their money, who am I to question their tastes. Wait a minute! Why are your standards so low!?  Pavarotti would have never gotten away with it.

Quote from: bearsville0 on December 11, 2007, 07:18:38 PM
Pavarotti would have never gotten away with it.

True enough, but there's a world of difference in the two audiences and what they require.  The rules are not the same at all. 

Quote from: the creature on December 11, 2007, 07:25:18 PM
  The rules are not the same at all. 

Was it Duke Ellington who said "if it sounds crappy, it is crappy" :humour:

Pavarotti couldn't have gotten away with playing harp and guitar simultaneously either--although, you know he wanted to!!!   I imagine too that the odds would have been against Dylan becoming an opera singer, or a folk singer for that matter--go figure?  I also think that Pavarotti would have had a difficult challange transitioning from acoustic to electric in the sixties...Wait, maybe that's something that they both had in common.    Then again, I'm no expert!   :arrow :nana_guitar
Larrivee D-09
Washburn D-10S
Framus Classical Archback
Fender Jazz and P-Basses

"Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?" (Eric Idle)
Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero)