Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When Is It Time To Quit?  (Read 3284 times)
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2007, 07:45:22 PM »

It asked for a name and I couldn't think of anything so I typed in Jim Beam, it gave me a list (no Jim Beam) I picked Jim Bianco (never heard of him) so far they have played five different artists I've never heard of, 4 of them I liked. Thanks again.

The neat thing is you can give a thumbs up to a song you like and it will skew in that direction.

Or, since this thread started with Led Zeppelin, type in "whole lotta love" pick the led zepp version, and see what happens.... some of it will be interesting and some won't be, but it's generally worth leaving it on.

If it sounds good, it is good.

billchivers

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2007, 07:43:34 PM »

It could be argued, and it would be a legit. argument IMO, that opera has sometimes more raw emotion than any other form of music.  Did you ever actually watch Pavarotti perform?  The guy was amazing and totally into what he was doing.  Guys like him become almost entranced in the performance.  It's actually quite amazing to watch.  Even if you don't really *like* it, you still have to appreciate the soul behind it.

I thought someone would pick me up on that! You are right, of course, about the emotion in a good opera, and I have watched and been amazed by Pavarotti (on TV, not even live). While I do enjoy some of this music in general it just does not appeal to me, I am not sure why. One thing I do not like is the incredible complexity of opera - give me simple music over opera any day. IMHO the best music is the music that anyone can play - folk music, world music, rock n' roll - played by millions, not just the elite who can get a gig in an opera. I can play "Blowin' in the Wind" and millions of others can do so at their local folk clubs etc, but how many of us attempt a bit of Pavarotti in front of an audience? That is part of the genius of Dylan - look what he did with simple songs reaching half the world's population.

Bill

Larrivee OM-03R 2007
Aria Classical mid 1960s Model A550 S/No 83
Fender Stratocaster 2000
Ghosting

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2008, 07:21:49 AM »

Just a few comments:

1. When is it time to quit?  The only thing I resent is folks who keep performing just for the money (do any of you know "Box Set" by Barenaked Ladies?).  If they love doing it and get a creative rush, more power to them.

2. My mom was a classically trained saprano.  I grew up listening to her play the piano and sing arias, and just assumed everyone elses parents did the same thing.  I agree about the beauty and the energy in classical music.  That said, I never got the bug, and don't listen to classical music much.  In addition, in the last year, Mom has stopped singing because she doesn't have the control over her voice that she used to have (she just turned 69).  It makes me sad that she doesn't still sing, as it has always brought her such joy.

3.  There are dozens and dozens of great new artists out there, but they can be hard to find.  I go around myspace and listen to all the unsigned bands there.  I also listen to musicians who put their stuff on youtube (candyrat records has a great youtube channel, and I hear new stuff there).  The lament that there is no good new music is something that has been around for ages.  In the early '90s I played "Running to Stand Still" by U2 at a potluck with a bunch of grad students, and an older student (probably in her early 40s) said, "I didn't think people wrote songs like that anymore."  Now that I'm close to her age, I find myself sometimes thinking the same things when I hear an Avril LaVign song.  I just need to remind myself that there was a lot of garbage out there when I was a teenager too.  bigrin

Cordoba 20TM-CE Ukulele
P-03RSE
OM-03E
D-04
Rainsong Shorty SFT
Seagull Grand
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2008, 04:51:06 PM »

Dylan's concerts (and his albums, for that matter) have always been uneven. A good one then a couple of not-so-good ones. Anybody recall that he got booed off the stage at Newport in '65?

Well Queequeg, that's not quite accurate.  There were boos mixed in with the applause.  The reason?  Not because of a poor performance, but because he played electric music.  He got some boos for introducing  "Like a Rolling Stone....."  Guess those who booed didn't realize that song would become one of the true anthems of the 60's.  MOF, after he got "booed off the stage", he was cheered back for an encore......
ElJefe

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2008, 12:35:02 PM »

Jethro Tull did a good show, several years ago, even though their average age was "deceased".

Segovia practiced 4-6 hours a day till he died at the tender age of 96.

Some should quit.

I should quit typing and start practicing.

Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>
topographic

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2008, 05:16:27 AM »

It's all about choices. Some bands choose to keep touring, some people choose not to see them, some choose to criticize them for still touring, and some choose to write posts about it all being a matter of choice. So, really, it isn't about who sucks or not---it's all about choices.

"I've suffered for my art; now it's your turn."

My songs:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=236287
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2008, 02:48:56 AM »

It's all about choices. Some bands choose to keep touring, some people choose not to see them, some choose to criticize them for still touring, and some choose to write posts about it all being a matter of choice. So, really, it isn't about who sucks or not---it's all about choices.

To me it's all about mysteries.

If it sounds good, it is good.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: