Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When Is It Time To Quit?  (Read 3282 times)
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 01:35:55 PM »

This is not the NFL.
You can continue to improve for decades. (You know, unless it's just about the prancing around on stage in your spandex.)

Stéphane Grappelli performed well into his eighties. Les Paul still plays out once a week in Manhattan. Musicianship is a life-long endeavor.
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 01:40:03 PM »

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 03:57:11 PM »

Went to see Chicago and America this past summer , these guys are all pushing 60 and the show and music was xlnt.

but being a long time fan of some groups, yeah ,I think yeah, not too much longer.
Dave
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 02:47:02 AM »

Hey Ducktrapper, that's a trade magazine, it doesn't count! 

But seriously, they looked like some pretty good reviews.

If it sounds good, it is good.

Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2007, 02:57:14 AM »

It's not a trade mag, it's my new employer, Sun Media!

(Thanks for posting that, Duck, I missed it the other day; don't tell my boss.)

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
billchivers

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2007, 10:19:21 AM »

I will be very sad when Dylan stops performing. I will always pay to see him and I don't care if I get him on a bad night, it makes me feel better about my own singing. He is not a singer, he is Dylan. His guitar playing isn't bad either.

If you don't want to see these guys, then don't! And as far as Pavarotti is concerned, the comparison does not work. And anyway I cannot stand opera, give me the raw emotion of blues or rock any day!

Bill

Larrivee OM-03R 2007
Aria Classical mid 1960s Model A550 S/No 83
Fender Stratocaster 2000
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2007, 12:14:15 PM »

I've seen Dylan 6 times and he wasn't bad any of 'em. If he plays within 500 miles, I try my best to see him. Almost anyone else will suffice on CD. Dylan's different. You listen to his CD to hear the songs and you see him to really "hear" the songs. His bands are usually pretty decent too.  I hope these guys tour or at least play forever! Vive le musique! 
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2007, 01:33:04 PM »

No offense intended either, but I would tell Dylan his voice sounds awful and he should give it up.... but thanks for the memories.

Um, it is after all Dylan...hasn't his voice ALWAYS sounded awful...no doubt people have been telling him that from day one...but it hasn't stopped him yet.  I don't think you would be telling him anything he doesn't already know.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2007, 01:49:33 PM »

By the way, I didn't start this thread to knock people for being old. There are many fine wines out there. Blues, Soul and Jazz are very compatible with maturity and digging for deep meaning.

I find it ironic that rock music is still going on. I grew up on The Who's "Hope I Die Before I Get Old" sentiments and deeply understood that raw emotion. There have been a lot of adjustments in the world as these rockers grey and bald. It strikes me as funny that they are still out there taking up attentional shelf space that could be going to younger bands trying to make a living. "Roll over Beethoven" anyone?  I am no spring chicken anymore either, don't need to relive my youth soI am just curious why these old bands fill stadiums with recycled, past their prime, performances? But you're right, I don't have to listen or go to them.

bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2007, 01:54:29 PM »

Um, it is after all Dylan...hasn't his voice ALWAYS sounded awful...no doubt people have been telling him that from day one...but it hasn't stopped him yet.  I don't think you would be telling him anything he doesn't already know.

Bluesman67, Dylans voice was GREAT.  bowdown He had tremendous subtlety of expression. It was perfect for his music. Now I just hear a broken hobbit, constrained and frustrating to my ears. No offense!!!!!!!!

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2007, 02:09:59 PM »

Move over Rover and let Jimi take over? Reality bites though doesn't it? You can wish the Yankees would drop dead too but they will not only continue, they will continue to win. Oh and Bert Farve too. I just hate it when the world won't line up with my opinions.  whistling
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2007, 03:15:13 PM »

Move over Rover and let Jimi take over? Reality bites though doesn't it? You can wish the Yankees would drop dead too but they will not only continue, they will continue to win. Oh and Bert Farve too. I just hate it when the world won't line up with my opinions.  whistling

If the world lined up with our opinions Ducktrapper, we wouldn't be posting on this forum. 

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2007, 03:52:27 PM »

And as far as Pavarotti is concerned, the comparison does not work. And anyway I cannot stand opera, give me the raw emotion of blues or rock any day!
It could be argued, and it would be a legit. argument IMO, that opera has sometimes more raw emotion than any other form of music.  Did you ever actually watch Pavarotti perform?  The guy was amazing and totally into what he was doing.  Guys like him become almost entranced in the performance.  It's actually quite amazing to watch.  Even if you don't really *like* it, you still have to appreciate the soul behind it.
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2007, 04:17:57 PM »

It could be argued, and it would be a legit. argument IMO, that opera has sometimes more raw emotion than any other form of music.  Did you ever actually watch Pavarotti perform?  The guy was amazing and totally into what he was doing.  Guys like him become almost entranced in the performance.  It's actually quite amazing to watch.  Even if you don't really *like* it, you still have to appreciate the soul behind it.

+1
And there are many more where he came from!

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2007, 04:35:07 PM »

By the way, I didn't start this thread to knock people for being old. There are many fine wines out there. Blues, Soul and Jazz are very compatible with maturity and digging for deep meaning.

I find it ironic that rock music is still going on. I grew up on The Who's "Hope I Die Before I Get Old" sentiments and deeply understood that raw emotion. There have been a lot of adjustments in the world as these rockers grey and bald. It strikes me as funny that they are still out there taking up attentional shelf space that could be going to younger bands trying to make a living. "Roll over Beethoven" anyone?  I am no spring chicken anymore either, don't need to relive my youth soI am just curious why these old bands fill stadiums with recycled, past their prime, performances? But you're right, I don't have to listen or go to them.

There are a lot of young people that are into "classic rock", there is something about it that never grows old. I have listened to many new artists and some are very unique and good but others are, so to speak  "a flash in the pan". They have a clever sound but after awhile it all sounds the same. I don't think by these guy's performing that they are holding anyone else back or taking up their shelf space. There is all kinds of (my opinion folks) crap music out there, but some people like it so more power to them. There can be 100 Rap concerts every weekend and I don't care, I won't be attending. I enjoy the opportunity to see some of the older artists that I never got the chance to see in my youth because I married young and had children and couldn't afford the luxury of a concert. I've been to 15 concerts in the last 4 yrs with my new wife and enjoyed every minute. I could count the concerts on one hand that I had been to before that. Are they all in their prime, maybe not but some put on a show that would blow you away. And the best part is I have someone in my life to share it all with. I am truly blessed. 

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2007, 04:48:46 PM »

There are a lot of young people that are into "classic rock", there is something about it that never grows old.

I enjoy the opportunity to see some of the older artists that I never got the chance to see in my youth because I married young and had children and couldn't afford the luxury of a concert. I've been to 15 concerts in the last 4 yrs with my new wife and enjoyed every minute. I could count the concerts on one hand that I had been to before that. Are they all in their prime, maybe not but some put on a show that would blow you away. And the best part is I have someone in my life to share it all with. I am truly blessed. 

Hey, I'm happy for you Mr LV19E.  It is interesting that so many youngsters are into classic rock. There are great records out there. I guess the next best thing to being there is to go the shows now, like going to a museum show of Picasso. 

Maybe I'm not so surprised about the museum exhibits as much as I am that there seems to be so little new stuff.  Jeremy 3220's thread about new music seemed like such slim pickins.

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2007, 05:27:16 PM »

Hey, I'm happy for you Mr LV19E.  It is interesting that so many youngsters are into classic rock. There are great records out there. I guess the next best thing to being there is to go the shows now, like going to a museum show of Picasso. 

Maybe I'm not so surprised about the museum exhibits as much as I am that there seems to be so little new stuff.  Jeremy 3220's thread about new music seemed like such slim pickins.

bearsville0 in regards to Jeremy 3220's thread, I think you have to remember the age bracket of most of the regulars here. Also how much time some people devote to this type of thing. For example I have XM radio in both my cars but I almost always listen to the same three channels, I very rarely get tired of listening to the old stuff. Plus I very much like the older music my parents listened to. Sometimes I am just overwhelmed by the variety of music available. I have a friend that has always been an audiophile and very diverse in his listening, so when I'm at his place he always has something new to listen to. He is very well off and spends mucho money on Cd's, I on the other hand live on a fixed income and need to be very selective how I spend any extra cash. If I had the funds I would probably buy a much bigger variety of music. But I have to be really moved by something to shell out the dough. I think there is a lot of new music available but for me anyway I find it hard to find the time to listen to it all, so I just live in the past 

Roger

bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2007, 06:01:01 PM »

Sometimes I am just overwhelmed by the variety of music available.

I think the technology of computers and digital music has been great for old timers.  Today a young band is not just up against their contemporaries but the whole of recorded music!  You have to be pretty narrow minded not to bump into something you've never heard before and be impressed.

I on the other hand live on a fixed income and need to be very selective how I spend any extra cash. If I had the funds I would probably buy a much bigger variety of music. But I have to be really moved by something to shell out the dough.

Do you know about Pandora? Pandora.com
You'll never have to spend another dime on music. I'ts a "radio station" where you type in a song or performer and it plays  their music and similar stuff. They have a very deep archive and you will inevitably hear something new to you even if it was made 80 years ago. Their only weakness is not having any classical music, but classic rock, blues, jazz, brazilian, EVERYTHING else.     I have it on right now and they're playing Blind Boy Fuller's "Big Red Blues."

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2007, 07:17:29 PM »

Do you know about Pandora? Pandora.com

No I didn't, thanks for the link.

Roger

Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2007, 07:31:32 PM »

It asked for a name and I couldn't think of anything so I typed in Jim Beam, it gave me a list (no Jim Beam) I picked Jim Bianco (never heard of him) so far they have played five different artists I've never heard of, 4 of them I liked. Thanks again.

Roger

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: